What Star Trek toys did you grow up playing with?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain Al, May 7, 2009.

1. Captain Al

Captain Al Commander Red Shirt

And I don't mean "collecting and never using." :)

I was born in 1970 into a "Star Trek family," that is, my mom and dad and sister all watched it, so by default I did, too, although I didn't really understand it.

But I had the toys.

We had plastic phasers, which as I recall were really cool and made with tough plastic.

I had a "bridge/transporter" set with large Kirk and Spock dolls. On the bridge was this round thing you spun that was supposed to simulate the transporter. I remember the doll always flying out.

I also remember losing all of Kirk's clothes. (Much like he does in the series, har!)

I had this toy that had an Enterprise, with a fan underneath the saucer, that was attached to this long, metal rod that spun around a central motor, and you were supposed to "fly" the Enterprise around in a circle to pick up stuff. Anyone remember this?

I wish I still had these things, especially the phasers.

2. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

It was Micro Machines for me. I never had the Defiant, which annoys me to this day.

3. GotNoRice

GotNoRice Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was all about the Star Trek Micro-Machines

The little Enterprise-D model even had a detachable saucer.

Though it bugged me that they were all the same size and not to scale, so things like a borg cube, the Enterprise-D, a K'Vort class and a B'Rel class Bird of Prey were all the exact same size.

4. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I had one Mego doll... of Kirk. After I got it, I found it silly because I could tell it looked very little like Shatner. I can't begin to describe what happened to it, as it brings me to tears when I think of the value. :lol:

I had the Dinky Toys Enterprise. Yep, that ugly big white metal hunk of inaccuracy. Plastic bits fell off and the white paint got heavily chipped as my friend and I subjected it to all kinds of "stress tests". That was my big problem... as kid I could tell when the design of things was just so wrong. I built the AMT Explorer Set and despite a reasonably good paint job, was infuriated with the stupid communicator lid hinges that broke after only a few uses. The tricorder wasn't bad, but too small. And the phaser looked like a box with knobs and a handle. I did find it rather amusing that the Animated Star Trek series seemed to copy that explorer set--the phaser looked nearly identical!

The "phaser" toy copies that were made were pitiful. Big, ugly, and so inaccurate, with large raised "Star Trek" lettering emblazoned on the sides. In one case, they took a "James Bond 007" plastic pellet gun and converted it to fire these colored discs, then packaged it in a box with Star Trek labeling and photos of Kirk and Spock. As if this was used on the show! Ridiculous.

Nah... in the 70's we were cursed with junk for Star Trek toys. If we'd gotten something like the Art Asylum phaser, it would have been Star Trek euphoria. ;) The really annoying thing is that it didn't take any special technology to make it--only someone dedicated to accuracy.

5. Captain Al

Captain Al Commander Red Shirt

You're clouding my happy notalgia! When I was seven, I loved those toys.

I've never seen the micro machines toys, though.

I have seen those "phasers" that shoot out the discs, but I never owned one.

6. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Playmates - ships, figures and playsets. Mostly TNG, but also the TOS Enterprise and Romulan BoP, and DS9 itself. The TNG bridge playset rocked, and so did engineering. I also always loved the D'Deridex toy. :rommie:

You didn't miss a lot. The top looked good, but the bottom was inaccurate.

That irked me too. And, the version of the Enterprise-D that separated is a more rare version, IIRC.

7. TigerOfDarkness

TigerOfDarkness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There weren't that many around, but I had an AMT Enterprise kit and also made my own smaller Enterprise from balsa wood.

8. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

I had the old GALOOB star trek figs and die-cast ent-D from that series, as well as the Micro Machines (almost all of them) several trek kits, star trek generations figures, I had the VERY rare star trek classic figures with cardboard ''bridge'' and the playmates TREK movie collection where they had Kirk and crew in there TMP uniforms and each had a piece of the V'GER probe so when you had all of them you could build a mini V'GER which at the time I thought was pretty KICK-ASS!. I think that's about it.

9. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

My penis. What? It's set to stun! :p

10. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had some assorted Playmates action figures of the TNG crew. I also had a toy hand phaser and tricorder (again TNG -- this would have been the early-to-mid-90s), which were nice touches when I went out for Halloween once dressed as Data.

There was also a toy version of the Enterprise-D that I owned... actually, I think I still have that somewhere. I'll have to look around for it. I remember that the nacelles came off fairly regularly (whether I wanted them to or not), but I had a good deal of fun with it.

11. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had a stuffed tribble that squeaked when I squeezed it. Mine was gray, and my sister's was white.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

TNG toys by Playmates. Yeah, I had plenty. Picard in captain's jacket, as Locutus, disguised as a Romulan, and as Dixon Hill. Data, Geordi, Worf. Admiral McCoy, Ambassadors Spock and Sarek. Captain Dathon, Judge Q. Add to them the toys of the Enterprise, Klingon Vor'cha, shuttlecraft, and the transporter playset.

13. Daneel

Oh yeah, I have one of those too. It came with a VHS package of both TOS and DS9's Tribble episodes. I think mine is kind of beige in colour.

14. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I had one too! It was white. I think I squeezed it too much. My tribble doesn't squeak anymore. :(

I'd forgotten about the phasers, tricorders and communicators. Most of them were really good, especially the TOS ones. I really hated the TNG communicator, though. It was so clunky. I used to use the display stands as my 'real' comm-badge.

God, I was so cool. :cool:

15. Daneel

I found mine! It's a very light beige, almost white. And it still squeaks when I squeeze it!

Was? ;)

16. WendellM

WendellM Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I had a couple of those. And I went through a few AMT Enterprise model kits and the smaller one with the Ent, D-7, and Romulan Bird of Prey.

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I had, and still have, the entire line of Playmates Trek Toys.

18. James Wright

James Wright Commodore Commodore

I've never had any of the toys, I do have 4 starship models though, Enterprise-B, C & E all unassembled & an assembled Excelsior.

James

19. Cap'n Caveman

Cap'n Caveman Captain Captain

What, am I the only one who had the Mego Communicators? My brother and I had hours of fun with those, and I still have them to this day in working condition.

20. new_mercury

new_mercury Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

is that the one with the three buttons that made sounds. i had that. also had the E-D and afew other that opened and it had the bridge etc inside and mini characters