Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'm busting your balls because you were busting everyone else's balls for not searching this information out. It was a surprise to me. I've watched every episode but season 4, I didn't know it was Colorado.

It was a surprise. Because most people don't, for whatever reason, go out in search of other content of a show.

What's wrong with it being a surprise?

:lol: I would hardly say I was "excited," but I was surprised. And, honestly, no, I didn't really give a fuck where it took place. The show didn't give a fuck where it took place--why wait until now to explicitly state it on screen? If they don't give a fuck, why should I?

What's so hard about that?

2. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Jesus.

I never said that it was wrong for a person to be surprised, why do you keep mis-stating the argument? All I said was that the show has consistently shown that Greendale is in Colorado, and that they've done that through on screen visuals, promotional materials, and in print media, and they've done that since quite early in the show's run.

As you've ignored the examples of onscreen confirmation I've already provided here *in the thread*, I assume in order to make it seem like I had to scour the internet to learn the location rather than just watch the show weekly on NBC, here are two screencaps from the show:

The first is from the opening titles of Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas, and it shows the license plates in the faculty lot. If you actually watch the video of the scene that I posted earlier, you'll see that all of the recognizable plates they show are from Colorado, and that they even show two separate variations of the Colorado plate:

[​IMG]

The next is from Pillows and Blankets, it's Pierce's medical report, and states the location of his doctor's office as Greendale, Colorado. And, as an Optometrist, I'll point out that it also misspells Ophthalmologist :

[​IMG]

For the third time, I'll state that I recognize that I was probably more apt to remember those things because I have spent a number of years living in Colorado. I'll also state, again, that it's ok to be surprised, but only if you've missed numerous, canon, onscreen confirmations of the fact that the school is in Colorado.

I'm in the right here. I've provided links, and screen caps, and videos to back up my position. I acknowledged that one might have missed this stuff, but it *was* there, and you confronted me, even on that.

This show may never before have shouted at the viewer that it took place in Colorado, but it certainly stated it many times. And, as I said earlier, this is a show that asked us to notice Abed delivering a baby in the back ground, that first mentioned the Ass Crack Bandit in season 2 (more than three years before his return), that had Beetlejuice pass the study room after being mentioned three times across seasons, that mentioned Britta receiving a used iPod Nano years before she got it on screen. This is a show that loves details. The fact that I picked up on it and you didn't doesn't make me wrong, and I'm not an asshole for mentioning what the show runners put there with the intention of being found.

*If* it's ok that you missed that stuff, than it should certainly be ok that I, and many others, didn't.

Alright?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

People...

it's a fucking TV show.

4. IndyJones

It's not TV. It's HB...oh. :shifty:

;)

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have never been to that website. However I was aware that the show took place in Colorado. It wasn't something that was regularly mentioned ala "Cheers" being in Boston. However it was a known fact.

6. bigdaddy

Actually it's NBC so it's nothing buy crap.

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

So I'm about halfway through Season 2 right now (it helps that Target sells the sets for super cheap). The last episode I watched was "Asian Population Studies." I have a friend who is a huge Jeff/Annie shipper and after seeing episodes like this, and especially the Season 1 finale, I can definitely see why.

My absolute favorite joke has to be from "Accounting for Lawyers" where Annie chloroforms the janitor then Abed decides they should all pretend to be chloroformed as well to fool the janitor. And then...well you guys know the rest :D I had to rewind that and watch it over again just because I was laughing so hard (something, I should point out, very few shows are able to make me do anymore).

8. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That scene is brilliantly done and a great bit of physical comedy, something Community isn't really known for. Allison Brie in particular shows a great comic timing -- hesitating just long enough and then, bam! with the chloro.

9. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

The show's not the one on a message forum whining and crying because someone pointed out that the show has let us know it was taking place in Colorado for quite some time now. And that simply instead of acknowledging that with something more along the lines of "oh, that's cool," he just goes on whining and crying, despite the fact that he's the one who had a virtual hard-on when he decreed that they "finally" revealed that the show did, in fact, take place in Colorado despite his blatant ignorance on the subject.

What's so hard to understand about that?

10. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I've never lived in Colorado, and other than connecting flights in the airport, I have never been to Colorado. I don't know how or why I knew this, but I have known since season 1 that Greendale was in Colorado. It honestly was no surprise to me. In fact, since I had already taken this fact for granted, that makes the whole "revelation" that much more inconsequential.

The real surprise is Jeff stating he's never left the state in his life, which I think was the true intent behind his line, not calling attention to what state they live in.

Of course, everyone knows the REAL piece of new information we gleaned from this episode is that Magnitude is British.

[​IMG]

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Exactly. It's like I was kicking babies or something. Fuck. Is it some sort of fan purity test?

Whining and crying? Seriously? Link?

12. bigdaddy

I never really thought about where the show takes place, never cared because the show is so much fun I never really give a damn what state it's in. It's not like the show is really grounded in reality.

I'm OK with baby kicking, some of them deserve it. ;)

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

So I like seeking out Harmon's thoughts on Season 4 and I came across an interesting piece of information, seems Dan Harmon is going to ignore the fact that James Brolin was brought in as Jeff's dad and bring in someone else entirely. I'm thinking he's trying to undo everything that they did in Season 4.

14. bigdaddy

James Brolin was one of the best things about season 4.

15. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

You know, I usually would be on the side of established canon, here, not so much. The question of who/where about Jeff's dad was a very interesting part of his character and I thought that they made a complete mess of it.

16. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Harmon himself has described Season 4 as "Watching people repeatedly rape your loved ones" (a bit of a paraphrase there) so I'm not surprised he's setting out to undo everything that happened in Season 4,

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Indy basically just said he was surprised that people were surprised, because it had been mentioned before, and this is typically a very detail oriented show. He didn't say you were lesser fans or anything like that. The negativity was directed at him for expressing his surprise, not the other way around. You're blowing this way out of proportion and carrying it on far longer than is warranted.

18. FFunctionalData

FFunctionalData Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

they have off handily mentioned they were in colorado once or twice on the show before this ep but we all know they film in California anyway.

same with brooklyn 99

19. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Brooklyn Nine Nine is set in New York??? No way, I thought it was somewhere in the Midwest. Heh, you learn something every day.

20. IndyJones

I certainly could have expressed myself better, and more politely. I apologize for that, and for dragging the thread off topic.