NBC's Awake premieres March 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Good news. I've been looking forward to this since the pilot was picked up. :techman::techman:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/awake-premiere-date-the-firm-286945

The Firm is being banished to the Saturday night graveyard.

Awake:

2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spring premiers rarely survive. I hope this beats the odds, but I won't bet on it.

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Terrific, I'm really curious about this show. Although it has all the earmarks of the type of series that is excellent, then gets axed quickly and therefore watching it is just asking for aggravation, The Firm has set such a low bar that maybe NBC will be generous in regards to ratings?

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The premise does sound interesting, will have to check it out.

The only thing i can thing of that is a little similar is Voyager's Deadlock where 2 realites are created and diverge and some of the crew could go back and forth. So maybe this guy will be trying to figure out how to get his wife or his son into one reality and make his family whole.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

"Deadlock" was about the original Voyager and crew getting split into two exact duplicates inhabiting the same reality, not two realities being made.

This one does seem interesting, but even the writers admitted that it's a premise that has to end eventually (when he "Wakes" the series is over).

6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

The premise is interesting, but MUCH better suited to a mini-series. NOT twenty episodes a year for 6 or 7 years.

It's shelf life will be short.

7. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

I hate cop shows, but I'll give it a try.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fringe has been exploring this kind of territory.

9. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Lone Star played with the double life idea in a different way, and was great, for all two episodes or so that Fox let it air. So I know the head writer knows how to play with that type of premise.

NBC may be more generous with Awake, four episodes sounds about right.

And I'm sure I'll cry when it gets cancelled. Network TV is not the place for high concept stuff.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

They waited too long to air it. They'll probably have a critical hit that nobody will watch.

11. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Now after watching the trailer it reminds me of the 5th season Doctor Who story called 'Amy's Choice' where they don't know which of the 2 realities is real or the dream and flip flop back and forth.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

There's also that Outer Limits episode where a starship crewmember is caught between two realities where he saved his family in one and the ship is in danger in the other.

Naturally, being the Outer Limits it turned out both realities were false and the truth was that he was being fed these fake realities to keep him unaware that he was being fed on by space spider monsters.

Maybe it's the same plot here: The detective flip-flops between two realities where his son is alive in one and his wife in another but the truth is that both are dead and this is all him having a coma-dream in a hospital before he dies as well.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Assuming they actually pull off the show well, it seems to high concept to succeed on network television. But this is one of the 2011-12 shows I was looking most forward to.

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe both realities are equally valid, and we all live in multiple realities, but at any given moment, we are only aware of the reality we happen to be in at the time. The only thing that's different about this guy is that he's aware of both realities as being realities, like lucid dreaming, when you wake up inside a dream.

:D

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I just found out about this show last night. The premise does sound pretty interesting.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's probably what it will end up being. Either that, or they're both dead and he's alive, and this is his way of dealing with the survivor's guilt.

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

18. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I enjoyed that seven minutes. I'll check out the pilot, at the very least.

19. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Looks ok. Doesn't grab me but I think it'll go the same way as Daybreak.

20. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Like the lead actor, love the concept.

It's the writing, stupid!