Braga is in Pulling Seven's Strings Again.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, Sep 27, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've got about 80 pages left of The Eternal Tide and I'll tell you. However at this point I really doubt it because..

the Borg are gone, magically transformed into super nice super beings.

So I was reading it as an alternate timeline to the books.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The novel Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock establishes that...

In every timeline where Janeway isn't assimilated and killed in 2380 (leading to the events of Destiny and Beyer's Voyager novels), our galaxy is overrun by the Borg by the year 2600. This story, along with Alien Spotlight: Borg seem to roughly fit as one of those overrun alternates.

3. teacake

Is that novel a good one KingDaniel?

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just finished reading it.

Christopher (L. Bennet) wrote it. Published in 2011. A story starring those two guys, among others, that interviewed the crew from DS9 after Trials and tribblelations, which I did not notice until the bibliography/thanks at the end of the book.

It's quite good, but Daniel is talking about the roadmarkings of the only healthy timeline possible which was explained in Watching the Clock, more so than something that can explain what Seven was wearing in Brannon's comic.

5. teacake

But doesn't it explain it if the comic is set in an alternate timeline?

I just ordered it from bookdepository. I'm on a binge now.

6. Guy Gardener

Well it's all a question of an alternate reality to what.

What is Brannon aware of in the comics, novels and that movie that came out nearly 4 years ago.

That's a massive amount of reading and absorbing that he has no obligation to adhere to if he only wants to tell a compelling story.

He can't write what he doesn't know about.

So this isn't an alternate reality because it is unlikely that he is aware of anything that happened after the final episode of Voyager (very little of Enterprise was set after the final episode of Voyager.).

It's just set in a universe after Voyager where nothing noteworthy like the destruction in of Romulus has happened, which as far as he is concerned, what he is writing, is Prime and real until a TV show is made to redefine and outreal his comic.

Seven's intermediary Fate, is probably going to be explained in flashback during subsequent issues is my best guess.

I like her hair up.

It's hilarious watching it stay up NOMATTERWHAT!!!!!!

7. teacake

But sometimes wisps detach themselves.. oh wait, that's Janeway.

So the comics are not in the Treklit timeline?

8. Guy Gardener

Only if the writers want them to be.

Different Publishers/Companies bought the comic license and the novel license.

They're not going to sue each other bleed over of concepts and the shape of the galaxy but they're also not to have direct crossovers without two tons of paperwork generated by 40 lawyers.

IDW vs. Pocketbooks.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's a case by case basis. Some have been firmly a part of the modern Treklit continuity, such as Wildstorm's TNG/DS9 crossover, "Divided We Fall", some have used elements of modern Treklit, such as the Andorian four-partner paradigm in IDW's "Alien Spotlight: Andorians", and sometimes Treklit has adopted elements from the comics, such as the events of WildStorm's "The Gorn Crisis" and Andorian President Thelian, of "Enter the Wolves", being referenced in "Titan: Taking Wing" and "Articles of the Federation".

So far, Braga's Borg story seems to be a possible future type of thing.

10. Guy Gardener

Vash still seems not much older than she was in Captian's Holiday, even if Picard looks really tired and they're in the movie uniforms. The story is probably set in the early 2380s which makes it an alternate present, unless you meant that everything in Star Trek is set in the future.

Though doesn't that lava lamp on the Queens Forehead seem like a huge zit?

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

She spent time with Q after that (see DS9).

12. teacake

Oooo she could have spent ten years with Q witnessing spectacular events of galactic history.. worth aging 10 years in your real time I think.

13. Guy Gardener

Or Q, could have been more comfortable if she didn't age in his presence.

To an immortal, there's very little difference between ageing and rotting.

Although she could have also spent less than ten years with Q and been dropped off more than ten years later because the chronological progress of time relative to the many dimensions and universes they toured is tricky to even the omniscient.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  14. teacake

I think Q is more worried about those who mentally age then physically age.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

They also did their own Khan miniseries which is in a different continuity than my Khan novels . . . which is fine with me. It's not like either of us invented Khan.

I did my version. They did theirs.

16. Guy Gardener

I think I have my own version from 20 years ago in a shoe box in my wardrobe as well.

Some wonder if Vash was approached to have Q's child before Janeway.

17. teacake

She might have done it for whatever passes as currency in the artifacts trade.

18. Guy Gardener

now a surrogate can get paid, but only a dirtbag sells their own kid.

19. teacake

But how much would it even be her own kid? When Q proposed breeding to Janeway she thought it was the traditional method but then she got to witness the event with Lady Q. I doubt Lady Q swelled with child. Instant conception with a touch, instant infant materializes, instant teenager appears before you. ALL the fun parts skipped. Vash's ability to have any input would have been very limited.. and if the teenager that she conceived 5 minutes ago didn't want anything to do with her it's not like they went through a whole childhood of raising that she could hope would tug at teen-Q's heartstrings. And if teen-Q did want her to be in his life 24/7 it's not like she could get rid of him.

It's really an egg donation with the possibility that the result might take over your life.

20. Guy Gardener

Q said that Janeway would raise the kid and they would explore new dimensions together.

Q needed a mother, because he didn't want to be a father.