La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Mine came! Awesome work, and my thanks to all the folks at La La Land!

Time to go turn my brain into delicious music mush!

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, mine has departed the Santa Clarita, CA sort facility. Hopefully I'll get it Monday.

3. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Great news! What a home run!!

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Here's a question (assuming this hasn't already been discussed). There were different versions of the main title theme at the beginning of the episodes. "The Cage" had one version and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" had a different and more electronic style version, both versions without narrative. The early episodes of the first season had a similar electronic style theme with the Kirk narrative and then later we got the more orchestral version with Kirk's narrative. In season two we got yet another version and the accompanying vocals seemed more prominent and yet they seemed to be less prominent again in the third season.

So will we get the different versions?

5. Christopher

^Read the track listings for yourself, as posed earlier in this thread or all in one place here. They list the different versions of the main title that are included in the set. In addition to the pilot versions, there's the "electric violin version" on Season 1, Disc 2, the Steiner-arranged "cello version" on S1D3, the 2006 re-recording of the cello version on S1D5, the "soprano version" on S2D1, an "enhanced stereo" version of same on S2D2, the 2006 soprano version on S2D5, the third-season stereo version conducted by Wilbur Hatch on S3D1, the mono version of same on S3D3, and the 2006 version of same on S3D5. Plus the corresponding versions of the end title on the same discs.

As they've said, this set contains every single note of music written and recorded for TOS, including alternate versions -- save only "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen" and the J. Peter Robinson substitute cues for "Goodnight, Sweetheart" from that '80s syndication release of "City on the Edge" that couldn't get the rights to the song.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Thanks. This is a long thread and I haven't been able to follow everything discussed in it.

7. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And what's more, Warped9, they all sound fantastic !!!

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Listening to those sample tracks again, each one instantly takes you to a familiar moment and feeling, Yeah, being a TOS fan they can call me biased, but no subsequent Trek series has ever had such powerful and evocative music. So much of it is simply fantastic. And it's never sounded so rich and substantial as now---I hear things I never knew were there before.

9. Christopher

I think the music in the first few episodes of TNG is in a very TOS-like style -- especially, of course, Fred Steiner's score to "Code of Honor," which is as gorgeous as anything he did for TOS. And there were some bits of brilliance later on in the other series, particular in Ron Jones's TNG scores and to some extent in Enterprise, by which point the strictures were relaxing and the music was able to get more expressive again.

But yeah -- taking each series in the aggregate, TOS unquestionably had the lushest, most powerful music overall.

10. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

I give up.

Neil

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but I didn't catch everything in the thread. The question has already been answered.

12. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neil, that's hilarious!

13. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Were the mono versions really different recordings/mixes, or were they just the stereo version downmixed for transmission? I would have expected the latter...

14. Christopher

^I wouldn't know, but they're both included.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I would think TV audio practices were still at a point where you'd have separate mono and stereo mixes for things recorded in stereo; same performance, different mix.

16. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Season two's orchestra was recorded in mono with a separate overlay for vocal and woodwinds. This allowed us to remix it. Season three's main title was recorded to three track tape. We present remixes and mono versions of both to please purists and to present an alternate mix.

Neil

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Very excellent! Shame the multitrack tape contents can't be released separately too... :p

18. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

GOT IT!!!!

:-)

19. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

That was awesome, thanks for linking.

Except for the part where they put up a picture of the very-much-alive Gerald Frield over the "Sol Kaplan 1919-1990" inscription.

20. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Delivered today, and i'm listening to disc 1 right now!! Incredible music!!!