Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

So I went to a Vintage Stock today and bought an old collector's book/graphic novel of the "Death of Superman" story from the mid/late '90s. I remember reading this and having it when I was in highschool but in the intervening years those comics are either long gone or in a box somewhere at the parent's house.

Anyway, I was flipping through the issue -haven't read it yet- and something odd stood out to me that I don't quite remember.

Supergirl flies up to Doomsday to fight him and he punches her, we see her face plop out like it's play-dough and then this purple mass lands on the ground.

Did Doomsday punch Supergirl out of her skin?! Or am I forgetting/missing something here?

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

At that stage, Supergirl was a shape-shifting piece of goo known as Matrix, she reverted to her normal form when Doomsday hit her.

3. Trekker4747

Ah, yeah... Probably a good thing I forgot about that.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

lolwut

Stuff like this reminds me why I don't read comics anymore.

5. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah yes. I didn't read the comic, but my brother had the novelization. I remember Supergirl's ability being used as the solution to resolve a particularly difficult problem in the end.

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

"At that stage, the Island was randomly hopping between different time/space coordinates and it only stabilized in the 1970s when John turned the frozen donkey wheel."

It's not just comics.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

When did you stop? I'm curious, because comics have always been full of goofy shit like this since the beginning.

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Did Supergirl get punched out of her skin?

:cardie:

Well, I'm certainly hoping that that's the grossest thing I'll hear all day, thankyouverymuch. :p

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It gets better. Matrix then bonded to a dead girl and the two of them became an Earth Angel. Together they fought the first vampire and his mother, Lilith who were trying to control the female aspect of God embodied in Matrix.

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

This was back when DC management decided that Superman was the only Kryptonian and that no other Kryptonians should exist. So Supergirl, Zod and Krypto were all sent off to the farm.

11. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's that from?

12. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd still hit it.

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

1999, 2000, thereabouts.

I think that's Lost but I'm just guessing.

14. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Indeed, it's how someone might try to describe the state of Lost circa season 5. The point is simply that any mythos has plot points that sound fairly wacky when removed from their context.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Never got the appeal of this version of Supergirl. Not that sympathizing with a shapeshifting glob of goo is all that out of the ordinary in the comic book world, but if I read a Supergirl story, I want it to be about Supergirl. Not some confused alien lifeform that's simply taking her form.

16. Trekker4747

Yeah, I like the idea of Supergirl being another survivor of Krypton that works a bit better than some alien taking the form of some nubile teenage girl.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

What I think might be kind of cool someday is a Supergirl story where there's no Superman and she's the only Kryptonian on Earth. That would be kind of an interesting dynamic to explore-- where she's the one showing off all these fantastic new powers for the first time instead of her cousin, and where the first superbeing humans encounter is... a small teenage girl.

(Of course come to think of it, that was probably a story they DID do back in the crazy Silver Age era. lol)

18. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh, the Kryptonian Supergirl IS some alien in the form of a nubile teenage girl. At least the shapeshifter was from a terrestrial lab.

Not saying one is better than the other, only that the concepts are equally weird and equally alien.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lex Luthor was also dating the Matrix Supergirl at the time much to Superman's disapproval (this was still when Lex was posing as Lex Luthor II and had an Australian accent oh and was a clone of the original who had died from cancer due to prolonged exposure to Kryptonite thanks to his Green K-ring).

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Now you're just trying to weird Trekker out!

Although it's true.