New Star Trek Into Darkness Teaser!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Mar 21, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Applying your definitions to other series, I could just as easily dismiss Deep Space Nine as endless repetitive space battles, constant fighting, heroes making unethical choices simply to seem gritty and kewl, and slutty mirror universe lesbians added in for cheap titillation. To say nothing of the cheap deus ex machina "god did it" plot twists when the writers can't find a good way out of the hole they dug:)

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

So…you're not interested in the new movie then? You plan to save your money and spend it on something else instead? I honestly can't see any other reasonable course of action for anyone who holds the views you've posted. As such, perhaps you'd like to do your blood pressure a favour and not think about this new movie anymore. It's not like it will magically change into something completely different before its release.

Or…you could wait to see it first and then formulate an informed critique. It's a novel idea, I know, but it has been known to work from time to time.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Star trek had flaws, the whole franchise had stupid stuff. The difference is, JJ's stuff has nothing. Its completely void of anything but boobs, quips and special effects. Its Transformers with a Star Trek skin. There wasn't a second of ST2009 that actually had anything approaching a real character or decent story. As a Trekkie, I don't want a mindless action flick. I want a sci fi movie that has more of a purpose then just to get the 13 year olds to buy tickets, which is JJ's bread and butter with these movies. In 10-20 years, people will still remember and like Wrath of Khan. JJ's Trek will just be another generic action movie series that appealed to the teens who think Transformers is awesome.

Why would I pay to see it? I saw ST 2009 in theatres, I've done my time in hell. If the first movie was a Transformers knock off by a hack ruining my favorite Sci Fi series, what will this be? Especially when the trailer highlights the boobs and explosions. It will be more of the same. I guess I love Star Trek so much that I'd actually like to see Star Trek again some day, as opposed to Abrams making his version of Transformers.

4. kirk55555

Accidental double post.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found Spock's life story, told as an obvious "coming out" allegory, quite touching. I don't recall Transformers or any other blockbuster action movie I've seen having an emotional punch like Star Trek did.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

So why get yourself all worked up over it at this point? You'll give yourself an aneurysm. And coming into the dedicated forum for films made by the person you hold most responsible for "ruining the franchise" is unlikely to be a pleasant experience. Not much validation to be had in these parts for vitriolic hatred of Abrams' version.

But hey, if seething rage is your thing, go to it. Pepto-Bismol is pretty cheap.

7. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Hell, this is the guy that said that he'd spit at Abrams if he had the chance. So calm logical explanation of views isn't really his thing.

8. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Your desperation is starting to sound pathetic. You realize that anyone can see that you've have run out of ammo, right?

9. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

You have to admit the whole repetitive comparison to Transformers is a compelling argument. I predict that ooh....26 more comparisons will win me over. No more, no less. 26. That's the number. 26.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I don't think I've ever seen someone string so many redundant hasty generalizations together at once.

Totally agree. Nor did Transformers ever reach an emotional climax like the one in the opening.

11. kirk55555

Fair enough. Honestly, I needed to vent a bit. Seeing Star Trek go out in an explosion of boobs and lensflares sucks, and the trailer was just rage inducing. I get that at this point, this section of the boards is firmly in the JJ is god camp. I knew that coming in. It was stupid to bring it up, but I had to respond to the trailer somehow, and this was the only place to. I'll lament the end of Star Trek as a legitamate sci fi fanchise somewhere else.

That said, I can't resist ending the post by laughing at the fact that Star Trek 2009 has been accused of having emotion. Spock was the second worst character after Uhura in that movie, and was probably the worst actor, too. His story had about as much emotion as any of bay's movies.

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I want to know where all the boobs were at in the 1st movie that people keep complaining about, cause other than Uhura and Gaila in their bras (and that doesn't count) there was a distinct lack of boobs flashing about.

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw Kirk's boobs, he was topless.
    And yes, it counts. And it's an outrage, a slap in the face of True Trek.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Christ, you'd think the trailer was a slow motion version of the opening scene of Barbarella the way folks talk about it being full of boobs. It was was a second or two of a woman in her underwear. :shrug:

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still think the opening sequence of ST09 was some of the best 10 minutes of Trek ever produced.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

kirk55555 is entitled to post his opinion, such as it is, and he expressed it in enough detail that it ought to be possible to address what he said without getting personal.

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's called goalpost moving. And this is Captain Robert April part 2.

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Even when I didn't like that movie, I would agree that the 1st ten minutes packed more emotion than anything in the prior films.

Someone explain to me how this:
    [​IMG]

Is more "true trek" than this:

[​IMG]

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Green hair.

Duh.

20. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Uhura's uniform, of course.