Enterprise Open: Alternate Version

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by dub, Mar 2, 2013.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm still making my way through Enterprise and I'm liking it. But the opening credits music still hasn't grown on me. I put together a version of the open using existing visuals, a mixture of "Archer's Theme" by Dennis McCarthy, plus additional sfx. Hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8S0cC4jn-M

2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Nice. That end bit with a few bars from Courage's Star Trek theme, always gives me chills.

It's from "These are the Voyages..." isn't it? That last minute being the best part! :D

Sound effects always tended to slip my mind, when doing an alternative title sequence. It works quite well. The sound of the sea. A plane taking off. Armstrong's "One Small Step..." Cheering in Mission Control. It must've been a pain to try and source suitable foley noises, then blend them in, matching what's happening onscreen.

For future reference, using this code...
    ...embeds the video here, in case you ever want to do that way.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

That's nice !

4. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Well done!

5. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

How fantastic!!

6. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that specifically. The beginning music is "Archer's Theme" (edited) from the "Broken Bow" soundtrack. The last bit is from the end of "These are the Voyages," but I added some more chimes, timpani and cymbals (sorry, I couldn't resist)!

I love that whole piece of music from "These are the Voyages." Very genius the way McCarthy wove all of those themes together! It blows me away.

It was quite fun for me, believe it or not!

Ahhh...thank you so much for that! I've been wondering how people in here do that. Thanks for sharing that info! :techman:

7. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Very nicely done!

8. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Lovely. I always preferred Archer's theme. :bolian:

9. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

I like what you did but I must be one of the three people on earth who really love the Faith of the Heart theme. My wife and I both liked it enough to play it at the conclusion of our 25th anniversary party in 2002. It HAD been a long road getting from there to here.

10. Thete

Thete Ensign Red Shirt

My dad and I love the song, too, and I can totally see why they chose it for ENT in all honesty. I prefer the opening posted here but I still love the original.

11. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Sfx are a bit much. There are too many quick cuts to establish any real aural recognition. Just too much going on. Theme, graphic, credit, sfx. Too busy.

12. Nx-01fan

Nx-01fan Ensign Newbie

I'm also a huge fan (and I mean HUGE) fan of the actual theme tune, but I equally love Archer's Theme (so much so, that having bought the album, I use it as my morning alarm tone).

I do like what you've done though :)

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

This, and the transition from "Archer's Theme" to the "M12, 13, 14" track from "These Are The Voyages..." is really clumsily pasted together.

The other thing to consider is that "Archer's Theme" doesn't quite match up to the visuals presented in the Enterprise opening. The music is more home-y and hopeful, familiar and comfortable, while the visuals suggest new frontiers and exploration. The juxtaposition of the two is a tough sell, in my opinion, when mashed together this way.

A few years ago, someone re-cut the visuals of the opening and slapped on the theme from Stargate Atlantis. That video had a lot of issues (nothing but visual effects, barely readable (and inconsistent) titles and fonts, and only featured Archer, T'Pol and Trip) but Joel Goldsmith's soaring score for that theme was quite apropos I thought.

14. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0vXniLxG0Y[/yt]

Sorry... I couldn't find one set to Shatner's cover version! :p