Help With MP4 Video Conversion (Making a Video w/ Adobe Premiere Pro)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ro_Laren, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I saw that you can download a free and legal version of Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 and so I downloaded the software. But, apparently this Adobe software is so old (2005) that MP4s are not a supported video format! That means that if I want to make any videos with this Adobe software, I need to convert my MP4s to another file format. According to something I found on another forum, the following video formats are supported:

[​IMG]

So, I was thinking about making an extra copy of my MP4s and converting them into the appropriate file format. Which video format do you recommend that I convert my MP4s to?? I don’t want to lose any quality… especially since I want to show my videos to some friends on a very large screen. I found free software that was recommended on CNET’s web-site called Any Video Converter and downloaded it. It can convert files to the following (this isn’t an all-inclusive list, just the most appropriate file types that I could find):

[​IMG]

Do you recommend that I convert my MP4s to any of the above formats? Or do you recommend that I use a different type of (free) file conversion software??? Or, do you have any other general recommendations for me when I try to make this video? I'm actually going to be putting a number of clips and videos into a large video. I've never done this before... except with the free Windows Live Movie Maker Project program. But, I think that even though the Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 is from 2005, it will make a better video than Windows Live Movie Maker Project.

2. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Re: Help With MP4 Video Conversion (Making a Video w/ Adobe Premiere P

If all you need to do is collect a lot of clips into one large video you could always use the free Super©.
    It does that quite well.

3. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Thanks, but I wanted to do a lot of editing and stuff. I really need to use Adobe's software, but don't want to fork out $700+ that it would take to buy the latest version (I believe the latest version supports MP4s). Therefore, I just need to figure out which file type to convert my files to... Does anyone out there have any suggestions???

4. JohnChod

JohnChod Captain Captain

There are a lot of free video file converters out there. Format factory is one that I've used. Just Google 'video file converters' and you'll find a lot of them. I had some success with Format Factory, but still had difficulties using converted versions of 'newer' formats in Sony Vegas. I tried a number of the free conveter programs before simply breaking down and buying a new version of Sony Vegas.

You can get Movie Studio Platinum 12 for less than $50. No need to get the Pro version unless you're really doing something on the professional level. I've used Movie Studio for both home use and for developing safety and handling videos at my place of employment. The safety and handling videos are well over an hour long and are relatively complex (several video layers, screen text, sound track, narration track, video, stills, screen captures, etc. etc.), but I still did them with the Movie Studio version of Vegas. The older version I originally used limited the video tracks and sound tracks to three each (if I recall correctly). The newer version allows many more. There are tons of effects - many of which I haven't even bothered to try and really didn't even need. But, you can do some really terrific effects, if you must or are so motivated, at a budget price.

5. JustAFriend

JustAFriend Commodore Commodore

If you're going to be editing, you just want simple uncompressed .avi files.
    They will be large, but the easiest for you computer to manipulate.

The free utility Super that was suggested above is great for mass-converting videos from one type to another and you should grab a copy of it; it will come in handy.

6. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Alternatively you could drop the ancient Premiere-version and use VirtualDub (free) which does simple editing (no fancy transition effects and the like) with avi-files.

7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Agreed about .avi's. When I rip...um...back-up my DVD's & blu-rays to the computer, I do so in .avi format.

I think WMP will play them without any extra codecs, so I can watch them on any computer, like at work, but I think I installed Shark007/win7codec on my 2 machines there, so I'm not 100% on that right now.