Star Trek : Angel

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by unusualsuspex, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Commentary on Chapter 13

Your descriptions of the destruction and disorder on Zethander following the asteroid strikes, tsunami, and the crash of pieces of the Borg cube are harrowing in their detail. We get terrific glimpses at the first responders from the colony doing their best to pick up the pieces as Starfleet coordinates efforts from orbit.

The levity between Fishlock and Captain Johnson was a nice break from the misery planet-side, and gives the reader an nice window onto how Dan conducts himself with friends other than Kat.

Gah! An untimely end for Rousseau, and I liked the guy, too! This is getting grimmer and grimmer… just the way I like it. :evil:

2. Gibraltar

Commentary on Chapter 14

Oh, crap! These new stealth-Borg are a dangerous breed, indeed. With their infiltration plan in place, there’s no telling how far they might spread before the Angel becomes alerted to their presence and true nature.

I appreciated the gallows humor of the search team, right up to the point where they dropped out of sight, literally. :lol:

So far, the restoration of Chariscarpia’s vessel has been the only bright spot of this mission. Here’s hoping she and her remarkable ship can lend Starfleet some much needed assistance.

Continued excellence! :techman:

3. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

I just discovered this tale (thanks to a friend *cough*Gibraltar*cough*), and am really enjoying it. I have a lot of catching up to do, but I am already enjoying your characterizations, plot and subplots, and the time period you've chosen. Looking forward to seeing where this ride takes me. :techman:

4. unusualsuspex

unusualsuspex Captain Captain

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Star Trek is trademarked and copyrighted by CBS Studios.
    NO infringement is intended. All other material is copyright to Unusualsuspex 2009.

USS ANGEL – BRIDGE
    ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1224 FST

Dan sprinted on to the bridge and as he took the centre seat from Kat, DeSalle called out from tactical.

“Sir I have messages from both General Mendark and Lieutenant Martari.”

“Pipe them through to Commander Gray at Mission Ops and open a channel to Scorpion please Commander.”

As the screen switched from the view of the dock to show Chariscarpia, Dan heard Kat fielding the other incoming calls behind his left shoulder.

“Chariscarpia, I’m not quite sure how you managed that disappearing act but what the hell is going on? You need to…”

“No Captain, YOU need to act and quickly. My sensors indicate that there is a vessel within the dock that currently holds in excess of two hundred Borg drones and it is preparing to depart. The command decks of the dock still hold unassimilated personnel so I cannot fire on the station until I am in position.” Her demeanour had changed from affable first contact to military commander in the space of seconds and Dan felt he was rapidly falling behind on the plot.

“Chariscarpia, I understand that you are trying to help but the Borg…”

“…are well known to me Captain. Trust me or do not Captain, but I assure you that I can and will deal with the Borg. There is no time for explanation, just remain clear of the Borg vessel when it emerges and maintain a clear path between the dock and the spatial rift.”

Dan was about to argue when Chariscarpia cut the channel.

Scorpion coming about Sir, shields up, weapons now charged…I think.” DeSalle looked slightly abashed at his fuzzy readings. “I’m sorry Sir, we have no previous data on Scorpion’s weapons but if the board is telling me what I think it is we’d be well advised not to get between Scorpion and the Borg ship.”

“Damn it!” As if shocked by Dan’s sudden outburst, Angel shook. “What was that?”

“Tractor beam from the dock Sir.” DeSalle looked directly at him. “Borg configuration.”

Dan pointed towards the screen that now showed the sickly green pulsing thread tethering them to the dock and effectively immobilising them.

“Tactical, target the emitter on the dock, full phaser spread but watch the command decks. Conn don’t fight the tractor.”

He watched as a concentrated burst of phaser fire splashed against the Borg enhanced shields of the dock but failed to penetrate to the hull.

Kat Gray had taken comms duty as DeSalle attempted to neutralise the tractor beam.

“Incoming hail from Scorpion Sir.”

“On Screen.”

Chariscarpia once again appeared, this time bathed in a milky white light that gave her a shimmering halo.

“Captain, cease fire and prepare to take evasive action on my command. I believe in your co-ordinates it translates to heading 133 mark 180.”
    “You believe?”

“Even I’m not perfect Captain!” Dan almost laughed at the half smile the line was delivered with, but nodded and hoped he wasn’t making the biggest mistake of his short captaincy.

“Conn, standby full impulse, 133 mark 180.”

“Standing by Sir.” Pharana rapidly input the heading commands and her hand hovered over the final sequence entry.

Dan nodded to Chariscarpia. “It’s in your hands.”

With a look of gratitude mixed with determination she returned his nod. “Good luck Captain. Three, two, one, now!”

Simultaneously a lance of pure white light leapt from a port on Scorpion’s bow and knifed through the Borg shields as if they didn’t exist. The surgical precision of the shot disrupted the tractor beam and Angel dropped away at full impulse.

“Ensign, get us out to starboard. Keep us clear of the lane between the dock and the rift.” As Pharana, swung the huge vessel back up and around, Dan turned to T’Sell. “Commander, what’s the state of the rift?”

“Sensors have been monitoring it Sir. In the past two hours it has been fluctuating, though it still appears to be open.” Adjusting the sensors, she shook her head. “I cannot penetrate beyond the rift’s opening Sir.”

What the hell is she up to? thought Dan. He didn’t like handing the reins to Chariscarpia, but having just witnessed the power she wielded he wondered what else she had up her sleeve.

By now Scorpion had swung around with its stern facing the dock and for a moment, all was strangely quiet.

“Captain?” Kat leaned over her console to speak quietly to Dan. “Those two calls were confirmation of Borg activity on the planet. General Mendark says that his aide Captain Rousseau was one of those assimilated along with several HazTeams and Lieutenant Martari witnessed a crashed shuttle full of drones.”

Dan turned in horror. “Planetside as well?”

T’Sell chimed in from her science station. “I believe that’s where it all started Captain, after the crash.”

Dan couldn’t believe how quickly this had snowballed and right now he really didn’t want to start thinking about it.
    “Let’s mark it for the after action report. Commander Gray, get the Valkyries back up here but leave the runabouts on recovery duty. Advise General Mendark he may want to redeploy his aerospace units in case this falls apart.”

It was then that the Borg ship emerged from the dock.

RAPTOR FLIGHT
    DEPARTING ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1234 FST

In full boost from the planet’s surface, the pair of Valkyries were at maximum power in their ascent.

“Raptor Flight this is Eyrie, new instructions from command. You are to maintain contact with Scorpion and the Borg vessel but you are to monitor only and not, repeat not, intercede unless instructed.”

Mo could only guess at what had been occurring in their absence but acknowledged the instruction. Ordering Homer to take tactical separation, she watched as he swung out to starboard giving them both manoeuvring space and better sensor coverage of whatever was going to happen next.

“So any idea at all why we’re on weapons hold here?”
    Homer’s puzzled tone mirrored her own confusion.

When she’d landed after the crash of Assault Shuttle Three, she’d been expecting little in the way of survivors but when the first thing she saw was a black prosthetic limb her mind had flashed back to the hangar deck. Borg! Sure enough, as she had drawn her phaser and scouted the periphery of the crater she found more evidence. Sprinting back to the Hildr she’d scrambled back into the cockpit, immediately taken off and sent an encrypted transmission to both General Mendark and Angel.

“No idea at all Homer, but if that’s what the Boss wants that’s what he gets.”

Overhead, there was the brilliant white flash of what appeared to be an energy discharge, but nothing like the green blast of a Borg weapon.

“Whoa, something is occurring my man. Increase the spread to two thousand metres.”

SCORPION – NULL NODE AREA
    CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1236 FST

As she had detected the Borg vessel leave the dock, Chariscarpia had ensnared it with a collector beam and then attached a second and a third. She knew the Borg were strong but she was hoping that a hastily assimilated vessel may still be underpowered.

The Borg.

She had believed them left behind long ago in the Delta Quadrant but they were here. Still stealing. Still murdering. Her mind was in turmoil, partly fear but mainly anger. It was the Borg Collective that had forced her mission into being as they had assimilated a swathe of planets carving a path headed directly towards her home world. Escaping with her crew, they had begun the long trek to freedom never knowing for certain if the home they had known was gone forever as they maintained communications silence.

In her heart though, she knew. The Borg would not stop, they never had. Her people, the Chellantherians, had known what the Borg had wanted and why they were making a beeline for the home world. The Shomach molecule.

It was a source of intense pride when the Chellantherians eventually synthesised and stabilised the molecule. Harnessing that molecule to power a ship had taken longer still, but it had been the next successful step and the generational vessel had been born; a ship that would perform a mission lasting not just a lifetime but many lifetimes as they crossed the galaxy surveying, watching, mapping.

But then the Borg appeared drawn, it seemed, like nightwings to the bright light of the Shomach molecule. The Chellantherians were aware of the molecule’s destructive nature and when the horrors of Borg assimilation became known a final plan of action had been drawn up that would prevent others suffering the same fate.

The three remaining stable Shomach molecules that would have powered Chariscarpia’s sister ships were detonated at equidistant points from the planet creating an area over 20 light years in diameter where subspace travel became impossible. 27 Borg cubes that had been converging on the home world became trapped like flies in amber and their molecular prize destroyed. The Chellantherians, pacifists to the end, had stopped their enemy without a shot being fired.

They had heard nothing from the home world after that, but Chariscarpia knew. Home was no more. Despite that, her ingrained pacifist beliefs would not allow her to destroy the Borg here today. Instead she had formulated a plan in which the Borg threat would be removed without further loss of life, even to the Borg.

As long as it worked of course.

USS ANGEL – BRIDGE
    ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1237 FST

Scorpion has the Borg vessel in a tractor net Sir.”

Dan looked to the screen and saw a pure white filament connecting the Borg vessel and Scorpion. At the point where it connected to the Borg ship, it spread into a spider web pattern of pure energy. An alarm chimed at tactical and DeSalle silenced it quickly.

“Borg charging weapons Sir.”

“Monitor it Mr DeSalle, conn prepare evasive pattern gamma. T’Sell, rift status?”

“Still fluctuating Sir, aperture appears to be closing but still 80 kilometres wide.”

“Advise me of any change.” Dan turned as Kat called from Mission Ops.

“Sir, just a reminder we still have three personnel aboard Scorpion.”

Dan nodded, aware that Dixon, Asheen and Xantharik had remained aboard Scorpion gathering data.

“We’ll have to trust that Chariscarpia takes care of them for now.”

“Sir! Borg preparing to fire!”

As his eyes swung back to the screen, Dan watched in amazement as the weapons ports on the assimilated border cutter glowed green and simultaneously the white filament glowed brighter. A beam of green light sprang forth from the weapons port but before it had reached halfway towards Scorpion, it slowed and stopped before gradually fading.

“T’Sell, what happened?”

“I cannot be certain Sir, but sensors indicate that Scorpion deployed some form of mass stasis effect. The chroniton readings are off the scale Sir, it must be using vast amounts of energy.”

Slowly but surely Scorpion began to move, the tethered Borg vessel struggling to break free but following nevertheless. Several times the Borg attempted to fire with identical results, their shots coming nowhere near reaching Scorpion.

Suddenly a green beam lanced out sideways and though Scorpion snared it once again, it managed to brush Angel’s shields. Reduced in power as it may have been, the large vessel still reeled from the shot. Lights went out ship wide to be replaced by dull red emergency lighting seconds later.

Dan picked himself up from the floor, wishing he’d worn the harness that was now standard fitting for the command positions.

“Status report!”

“Warp and impulse offline, shields down to 72%, no hull breaches. We still have photon torpedoes but phasers are resetting. Awaiting casualty reports Sir.”

“Mr DeSalle, what did they just hit us with?”

“Plasma weapon Sir. Scorpion attenuated most of the strike.”

Thanks be for small mercies thought Dan. Opening a channel to engineering Dan spoke quickly to Machilveen.
    “How long until we can get impulse or warp back up Andi?”

In the background he could hear the shouts of harried engineers struggling to get the mighty starship mobile again.

“I’d love tae give ya better news Sir, but right now we’re havin’ all on to stop EPS taps rupturin’ across the board. I’m thinkin’ it’ll be thirty minutes minimum, an’ that’s bein’ optimistic.”

“Do your best. Bridge out.” Turning to DeSalle he requested a channel to Chariscarpia.

When she appeared on screen, she spoke quickly. “Captain, I have very little time to talk.”

“I realise that, but I thought you should be aware we’re out of the fight here. We have no drive capability and only torpedoes to support you if you should need it.”

“Understood Captain. I see that your fighters are monitoring the situation, if I might ask that they stand by in case I require them? I will maintain them within my protective screens.”

Dan turned to Kat and nodded as she opened a channel to Raptor Flight.

“I’m advising them now. Whatever it is you’re planning Chariscarpia, I want to thank you.”

“Thank me when it is complete Captain.” As she nodded her antennae twitched and her eyes opened wide. Almost simultaneously, T’Sell called from Science One.

“Aperture has begun to collapse more rapidly Sir, down to 47 kilometres. I estimate it will be closed completely in fourteen minutes thirty seconds at its current rate.”

“Captain, I must go. Whatever happens, thank you also.”

Before Dan had chance to reply, the screen flashed back to the tug of war between Scorpion and the Borg vessel.

RAPTOR FLIGHT
    CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1242 FST

“Raptor Flight, this is Eyrie. Command requests you maintain current profile at request of Scorpion. She reports that you’ll be within her protective screens.”

Mo checked her panel and saw that Homer was now at a point on the opposite side of Scorpion and an equal distance away.

“Raptor Flight copies. Confirm any change in rules of engagement?”

There was a pause before O’Hara replied.

“Negative Raptor Flight, you’re still on weapons hold unless directed otherwise or fired upon.”

Then why the hell are we up here like sitting ducks Mo wondered.

“Understood, Raptor Flight standing by.” She quickly switched to her discrete frequency. “I assume you got all that Homer?”

“Yep got it all, and I suspect I’m wondering exactly the same thing you are.”

No doubt about it thought Mo. No doubt at all.

SCORPION – NULL NODE AREA
    CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1243 FST

Time was now Chariscarpia’s enemy. The Borg were struggling to break free of her collector net and their power seemed to be increasing while all the time the fissure that had spewed the Borg cube into Zethander space was rapidly closing. The line between success and failure was hair thin and for the first time Chariscarpia wondered whether this might truly be the end of her mission.

Having chosen her course of action, she knew it was the right choice and if this was to be her final day then there were things she must attend to. She closed her eyes and summoned the remote that the human female had nicknamed Fido.

BORG ASSIMILATED VESSEL
    CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE

One of Fourteen showed no sign of anger at their current predicament. They had attempted to transport to the alien vessel but been rebuffed by a field similar to the one that had nullified their weapons.

Through the Collective he had transmitted details of this species to the Queen and awaited a reply. There was no record of them anywhere in the Collective’s memory and yet they possessed the one thing that the Borg desired most. How had they missed them?

Increase power to drive he instructed. Already life support had been shut down and the only other systems drawing power were weapons and shields, neither of which were currently likely to avail them. He ordered that they too be taken offline and their power fed into the drive.

5. unusualsuspex

NO infringement is intended. All other material is copyright to Unusualsuspex 2009.

17 (cont)

SCORPION – CONTROL ROOM
    CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE

Ensigns Vonny Dixon and Kara Asheen had been working quietly at collating the information that Chariscarpia had allowed them access to and the action of the last twenty minutes had sharpened their need to complete the work as quickly as possible.

Chariscarpia had of course briefed them on what was happening and apologised that at that moment she could neither drop her shields nor spare the time to transport them back to Angel but assured them that she would do so as soon as possible. They had heard nothing from her since and so had continued their work while the big Remvellian security ensign LJ Xantharik had prowled around the control room “humph”ing at his inability to take action.

“Ensign Dixon?”

Chariscarpia’s face had appeared on one of the large monitors. Immediately LJ was alert.

“Chariscarpia, what is it?”

“I’m afraid I have little time in which to speak with you, but I have downloaded as much as I can into my command remote, the one you call Fido?”

Fido? mouthed LJ, and Vonny blushed slightly. “I know it, yes.”

“Once I send it through to you, you must step on to the transporter device one at a time and take the remote with you do you understand?”

Vonny nodded and was about to ask what was happening but Chariscarpia was already gone. With the familiar sound of the dissolving wall, the small sphere appeared and bobbed towards Vonny who reached up and clasped its warm shell. She looked at her two companions.

“So who wants to go first?”

RAPTOR TWO
    CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1245 FST

Homer was already tense in the cockpit of the USS Gunr so the strange sound of rustling material behind him almost made him wrench his neck as he span around in his seat.

“I assume from your expression that nobody told you I was coming?” said LJ Xantharik from his crouched position on the emergency transporter pad.

RAPTOR LEAD
    CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1245 FST

Seconds later, Mo had a similar heart stopping moment in the USS Hildr as first Kara Asheen and then Vonny Dixon appeared.

“Mo, I might be slightly late but I’ve just been told you should expect passengers?”

Mo smiled, indicating that Kara should take the spare right seat. “Already got ‘em my man. This just gets weirder by the second!”

Mo was sure she heard a deep voice that wasn’t Homer’s say “Amen to that.”

USS ANGEL – BRIDGE
    ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1246 FST

Kat Gray sounded extremely relieved as she reported, “Sir Raptor Flight just checked in, they have our three crew members.”

“Thanks Commander, that’s one less worry. Any update from engineering?” Dan hated to hassle the engineers when he knew they were already working as hard and fast as humanly possible to do the job he’d asked of them.

“Nothing yet Sir.”

“Ok, let’s leave them to it.” He stood and crossed to Science One.

“T’Sell I get the feeling that Chariscarpia is hoping to shove the Borg back into that spatial rift. Is she going to make it in time?”

The half Vulcan science officer worked her board for a moment then shook her head. “At the moment Sir I cannot say. It is possible but with the aperture’s rate of shrinkage fluctuating as it is that could change.”

“I thought as much,” acknowledged Dan. “I need you to stand by with our tractors as soon as we get power back to the drives. Let’s see if we can’t give her some help.”

“Aye Sir.”

Come on Andi he silently chided, gimme one of those engineering miracles.

USS ANGEL – ENGINEERING
    ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1248 FST

“Ach this is bloody stupid.” As Chief of Engineering, Lieutenant Commander Andi Machilveen had long since learned to overestimate repair times. She was fairly certain that most ship’s captains were aware of the trick by now but continued to do it anyway.

“Alpha Team, are the port EPS taps ready?”

“Yes Ma’am. 31 is still giving us an amber but we can’t clear it.”

“Good enough, just make sure there’s nobody near it when I shunt the load. Bravo Team, starboard taps ready?”

Lieutenant Axel Strandberg waved from his console. “All green Ma’am.”

Nodding, she tapped her commbadge. “Machilveen to bridge, either this’ll work or ye’ll have a very pretty fireworks display to remember!”

“Commander, you must have read my thoughts!”

“Just another of my many skills Captain.” She tapped in the re-route commands on her console, crossed her fingers and muttered something under her breath before hitting execute.

USS ANGEL – BRIDGE
    ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1248 FST

Dan wasn’t certain, but he was sure there was at least one profanity in that short, muttered engineer’s prayer.

Whatever it was, it appeared to work as the lights returned to their normal levels and the power indications on his chair arm all flickered back into the green.

“Dinnae push her too hard Captain, I’m no’ sure how much she’ll take.”

“I’ll do my best Commander, good work!” He turned quickly to T’Sell. “Ready with that tractor Commander?”

“Aye Sir.”

“Open a hailing frequency to Scorpion.”

Once again, the serene face of the alien ship commander filled the screen, though she was looking worn now.

“Chariscarpia, we have power back online. I believe we can offer a little help in getting the Borg ship where it needs to go.”

“I believe that would be wise Captain. The aperture is becoming increasingly unstable.”

She closed her eyes for a moment and when she reopened them, T’Sell called out “Sir I have the computations from Chariscarpia. Ready to activate tractor.”

“Do it Commander.”

BORG ASSIMILATED VESSEL
    CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1249 FST

One of Fourteen was almost certain that the large white vessel would not be able to drag them into the aperture before it finally closed. He knew that unless the aperture of a transwarp conduit was immediately attributed to a transwarp hub, or otherwise stabilized, it would dissipate after a few hours. The fact that this one had remained open so long was more due to the accidental method of its creation than any other factor. He only required that their vessel resist for mere seconds longer. By then, according to his calculations, it would be too late and the alien ship would be his.

There was a lurch and without warning their velocity towards the aperture had increased.

Report.

Sensors indicate that the Federation vessel has restored power and is now adding there tractor capability to that of the alien vessel.

One knew that if they were he to activate weapons once more to deal with the Federation ship, then power would be taken from the drive and their fate was certain. If they did nothing, then they would be dragged into the aperture anyway which by now would have no exit back to the hub.

Overload the drive if necessary, break the tractor beam.

USS ANGEL - BRIDGE
    ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1250 FST

“One minute to aperture closure Sir, diameter now 2000 metres.”

Dan was about to acknowledge T’Sell’s report when DeSalle cut him short.

“Sir Borg drive has increased output! Estimating warp core breach within sixty seconds.”

Dan gripped the armrests of the command chair. Sorry about this girl. He opened a link to engineering once more. “Commander Machilveen, divert all non-essential power to the tractor.”

“Ye won’t get long out of it Sir.”

“I’m praying we won’t need it.”

The lights dimmed and the effect on the Borg vessel was immediately obvious as its speed towards the aperture increased. At the same moment, Scorpion began a swing to port and the Borg, on their brilliant white tether, were whipped around towards the aperture.

SCORPION – CONTROL ROOM
    CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE

Chariscarpia applied full forward drive as she released the collector net to allow the Borg vessel to free fall towards the aperture…

BORG ASSIMILATED VESSEL
    CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE

Tractor the vessel!

At the instant the Borg vessel entered the rift, its tractor beam extended to grab Scorpion and despite the huge white vessel’s powerful struggle, it too was dragged backwards by the momentum and sank into the aperture.

USS ANGEL - BRIDGE
    ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE

Dan didn’t have to order a switch in the tractor beam as T’Sell smoothly flicked it from pushing the Borg into the rift to attempting to pull Scorpion back out. Sadly, it was a battle Dan could immediately see they would lose.

RAPTOR LEAD
    CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1251 FST

In horror, the three occupants of Mo’s Valkyrie watched as the aperture contracted. Despite the valiant attempts by Angel, Scorpion slipped backwards until all that was visible was the forward two prongs of the bow, and the aperture tightened in to sever them. Just before it winked shut there was the blast of what appeared to be a warp core breach and the Hildr was sent tumbling backwards.

RAPTOR TWO
    CLOSE TO ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1251 FST

“Hold on tight big fella!”

LJ needed no encouragement as he grasped the straps holding him into the cramped weapons operator seat.

Homer hauled the Gunr about hard and rode the compression wave that erupted from the collapsed aperture.
    As the effects passed them, he swung the agile fighter back around to search for Mo.

“Ok this is where I need a little help big fella. Ever operated a tractor beam?”

LJ shook his head.

“Then you might wanna tighten your grip a little while I run ya through it.”

By the time they’d caught up with the cartwheeling Hildr LJ hoped he’d understood the basics and threw out the low power tractor beam.

“Nice and steady big man, just slow their rotation. You got it.”

Within a minute both Valkyrie’s were motionless in space, but Homer was receiving no response on intership from Mo.
    “Best get in close and take a look see.” With a deft nudge of the thrusters, Homer expertly brought the small fighter in almost cockpit to cockpit with the Hildr where they could see three pale faces waving at them.

LJ tapped his commbadge and was gratified to receive an immediate response from Kara Asheen.

“Lieutenant Martari says that power is out but that we can last at least 15 minutes on the air in the cabin, more than enough time to be towed back to Angel.”

“Well we lost the big one,” whispered Homer, “but at least we got one small victory today.”

6. unusualsuspex

USS ANGEL – BRIDGE
    ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1300 FST

“Flight deck reports both Valkyries recovered Sir. Ensign Dixon may have fractured ribs but otherwise no other injuries.”

Dan sighed as he stood from the centre seat. “Thank you Commander, you have the bridge. I’ll need to contact Starfleet.” Kat nodded as he headed towards the ready room. “Lay in a course back to Zethander and arrange an encrypted channel to Command please.”

As Dan entered his ready room, he sat in the chair with a great weight settling on his shoulders. Locking the door, he tried to spot the flaw in his orders that could have prevented any of this, but found nothing. His introspection was cut short as the desk monitor lit up with the encrypted logo which quickly switched to the face of Admiral Bryan.

Dan quickly and succinctly updated the Admiral on the closing events in the Zethander mission and waited for a response. It wasn’t what he’d expected.

“Captain.” Bryan’s face was sombre as he spoke. “We have a great deal to discuss and I’m afraid none of it is good.”

USS ANGEL – BRIDGE
    ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1317 FST

By the time Dan returned to the bridge, Angel was back in orbit over Zethander. His expression was distant and drawn and he didn’t even look at Kat as he took his place in the centre seat.

For a moment he did nothing except take a deep breath.
    Finally exhaling, he opened an intraship channel on the arm console and spoke in a monotone that Kat had never heard from him in all their years of service.

“All hands, this is the Captain.” He paused, then shaking his head almost imperceptibly, continued. “By order of Starfleet Command as of this stardate, command of the USS Angel is temporarily transferred to Commander Katerina Gray. I expect her to be accorded the respect and trust that you have shown me during our recent mission. That is all.”

Standing once more he turned to face Kat. “Commander, if you would join me in the ready room with Commander DeSalle?”

Without waiting for a response, he strode from the bridge.

The shocked silence seemed to stretch for an eternity before Kat looked over to DeSalle whose shrug spoke volumes.

USS ANGEL – CAPTAIN’S READY ROOM
    ZETHANDER
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1320 FST

When the door closed behind Kat she looked at Dan with disbelief.

“What the hell is...” Dan held up his hand to silence her. He turned first to DeSalle.

“Commander you have orders to place me under close arrest at this time. I will be restricted to my quarters until such time as transportation becomes available to deliver me under escort to Deep Space 9. At no time will I be allowed contact, either in person or via electronic means, with any other person. Is that understood?”

Clearly DeSalle didn’t understand. “Sir? Are my orders in writing?”

“They will be when you return to security. Is this a problem?”

DeSalle, a quiet spoken and intense man at the best of times, lowered his voice even more. “To be honest Sir, yes.”

Fishlock pinned him with that look.

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that son." When he pointed his fingers, it might as well have been a fully charged phaser. "Make sure I don't have to pretend again."

DeSalle reluctantly drew himself up. “Yes Sir.”

Turning to Kat, his expression was unreadable. “Commander Gray, you are hereby authorised under Starfleet Order 113, Change of Captaincy, to access files pertaining to field promotion and command change of a Starfleet vessel. These files will be available to you immediately.”

For a moment, his impenetrable expression almost cracked, but with an effort he reined it in. Removing his commbadge he placed it carefully on the desk.

“The command of the USS Angel is yours Captain. Further orders will arrive from Starfleet shortly, but for the time being you are to continue with the humanitarian mission on Zethander. Do you have any questions?”

Kat wanted to say “thousands” but instead shook her head. “No Sir, not at this time.”

“Commander DeSalle?” Dan headed for the door and stopped briefly next to Kat. She was sure there were tears in his eyes as he squeezed her arm. As he left, she was certain there were tears in her own.

EPILOGUE

USS ANGEL – PHOENIX LOUNGE
    ZETHANDER – GEOSTATIONARY ORBIT
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 1930 FST

Kat looked around the totally revamped crew lounge. Under any other circumstances, it would have been a cause for celebration and a grand opening but with the shocking events of Dan’s departure Kat had decided that should be postponed. Both Guinan and Melista had agreed.

“It’s unbelievable what you’ve done with the place ladies. Thank you.”

Guinan smiled. “Well with the place shaking around so much in the past 24 hours, we were lucky it was just a few glasses that got broken.”

The crew lounge had been transformed from its dull and drab previous incarnation into something else again. Rechristened the Phoenix Lounge, its centre piece was a large model of Zefram Cochrane’s Phoenix spaceship suspended from the ceiling. Around the walls were prints of the historic man and his flight as well as mementoes such as framed letters, a small scale replica of the famous Zefram Cochrane statue and a remarkably realistic reproduction of the Phoenix control column.

Across the open space of the dance floor Kat saw a brightly coloured box standing close to the small circular stage. Intrigued, she strolled over followed by the mother and daughter team.

“It’s as close a reproduction of old Zef’s juke box as we could find,” grinned Melista. “Give it a try.” She pointed at the plastic manual buttons at the top of the brightly coloured panel.

Tentatively, Kat pressed three random buttons. Deep within the juke box, something whirred, there was a slight hiss from the speakers and then with a sound like Armageddon a blast of rock and roll filled the lounge.

Guinan winced and leaned around behind to turn down the volume allowing Kat to uncover her ears. “Don’t worry; we’ll be fitting it with a full library of music. That just happens to be the only track on there at the moment.”

“Apparently one of Zefram Cochrane’s favourites according to a close source,” Melista grinned.

Kat faced Guinan and Melista. “Seriously you guys have worked wonders. Dan would be so pleased.”

“Will be pleased,” corrected Guinan. “If there’s one thing I’ve learned in life Kat, never take anything at face value. Things aren’t always necessarily what they seem.” She smiled as she hugged Kat and whispered, “He’ll be back.”

USS ANGEL – FLIGHT DECK BAY ONE
    ZETHANDER – GEOSTATIONARY ORBIT
    UFP SPACE
    September 12th 2371 – 2135 FST

MCPO Spider Tarrant shook his head in disgust. In the darkened environment of Bay One, he’d been working tirelessly on the USS Hildr in an attempt to unlock the computer system but to no avail.

He’d restored mainline power to the fighter and in all other respects the ship was operational but the computer simply wouldn’t reset. He’d tried an onboard reboot which had failed to initialise. He’d tried it again from Angel’s mainframe and the result was the same.

If that wasn’t bad enough, strange things were happening in the cockpit. The most recent had been an almost musical repetition of beeps.

Ok this is getting spooky now he thought, then slowly began to smile.

“Oh Dingbat, you pesky little devil.” He cast his mind back several years to there last meeting with Ganyol and remembered how he’d set Dingbat up to believe a particular yacht was haunted. It seemed Dingbat hadn’t forgotten and their recent meeting with Ganyol seemed the perfect excuse to repay the prank.

“Alright my haunted little Hildr, we’ll call it quits for tonight while I search out my erstwhile partner.”

Shaking his head, he slipped from the cockpit and shut the overhead hatch. Wiping a small smear of lubricant from the fuselage he grinned. “Don’t worry girl, we’ll get the exorcist in first thing tomorrow.”

As the bay door slid shut behind him for the night, four small blue lights flashed in rapid sequence in the cockpit before they too finally dimmed into darkness.

7. unusualsuspex

And so concludes STAR TREK : ANGEL - THAT OTHERS MAY LIVE, but the story continues in BROKEN SWORD, currently in production! (First chapters here shortly if people want them?)

I realise my writing needs to be worked on but I thank everybody who has taken the time to contact me with their kind (and shockingly unanimous) praise and comments. It makes the writing process SO worthwhile when people enjoy it!

As far as canon is concerned I have tried hard to keep events both true to canon technical and timeline through research at MEMORY ALPHA and BETA, so a big thanks to the guys there!

One HUGE thanks I really need to give is to a guy from the SCIFI MESHES board by the name of William Johnson. He kindly allowed me use of a ship he'd created, the USS Mainstay, to refit into the USS Angel. There are renders on my website which are just fantastic as it was the perfect vessel for my needs so his kindness was instrumental in giving my crew a place to work, party and suffer.

Thanks Bill!

[​IMG]
    USS ANGEL/DOCK - MODEL AND RENDER BY WILLIAM JOHNSON ~ COMPOSITE BY NIGEL KERR

In the meantime, if you want more it will be my pleasure! :techman:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  8. Gibraltar

Commentary on Chapter 15

Good on Petrov! I was glad to see her overcoming her panic (and probably more than a bit of claustrophobia) to make it back to the surface. Stealing the Rhino was a stroke of genius. I hope she survives long enough to inform Militia Command of what’s happening with the Borg.

Misaki’s reactions to the ongoing crisis and the deaths of her comrades are well drawn. Fortunately she realizes that she can mourn later and that now’s the time for action.

9. Gibraltar

Commentary on Chapter 16

Mere words seem insufficient to express how terribly, terribly wrong the situation has suddenly turned. I had mistakenly thought things were as bad as they were going to get. I was wrong. The introduction of the Omega molecule now threatens not only the continued existence of Chariscarpia’s magnificent vessel, but the looming specter of the Borg now casts a shadow over both her ship as well as the Angel.

Question: Per SFC’s instructions regarding Chariscarpia’s ship… wouldn’t destroying her vessel cause the molecule to be released from whatever controlled containment system it was in? Wouldn’t that prove more dangerous than merely letting the ship leave with instructions to stay away from Federation space?

10. unusualsuspex

I'll be honest, that thought had crossed my mind too Gibraltar!

However, the only OMEGA incident that canon offers us is on VOYAGER in the Delta Quadrant where the Omega Directive is initiated. (Voy : OMEGA DIRECTIVE)

According to MEMORY ALPHA (which references that episode):

The captain, absolutely forbidden from discussing anything about what was happening with any member of his/her crew, would contact Starfleet Command and inform them of the situation. Starfleet Command would then dispatch in a specialized team authorized to use whatever means necessary to destroy the molecules.

My interpretation was that the team would arrive and, discovering that the particle was not naturally occurring, reassess the situation to take into account Chariscarpia's unique situation.

Obviously events overrode that option, but I agree that destroying a controlled molecule doesn't make sense for two reasons.

1. This is a first contact with an advanced civilization that has obviously controlled the molecule, indicating to me at least that discussion is more important than action.

2. With the chance of exchanging information with Chariscarpia, the Federation would benefit greatly from obtaining that technology.

I suspect that Starfleet needs to inspect its modus operandi!

11. Gibraltar

Commentary on Chapter 17

That… was a nail biter. :eek:

The crew of the Angel once again races to save the day against the nearly overwhelming odds of an insidious Borg plan already well underway.

Chariscarpia’s ultimate sacrifice in the final seconds is a tragedy, not only in the loss of her ship and her person, but all she could have taught the Federation about the vast and as yet unexplored (by Starfleet, anyway) reaches of the galaxy.

If this is a victory, it tastes of ashes.

12. Gibraltar

Commentary on Chapter 18

I have to admit that I rather expected Admiral Bryan to rub his hands together and congratulate Fishlock on a mission that, if nothing else, resulted in a resolution of both the Borg and Omega Molecule threats.

No. Such. Luck.

As if this crew hasn’t been through enough as is, now they have to stomach the removal of the captain that led them through their first trial by fire? And what of Kat, now holding the reigns, duty-bound to fill Dan’s boots come what may?

And the unexplained quirks in the Valkyrie’s computers… there’s a lot of dangling threads here. Fortunately, that sounds like a great place to pick up the story.

This was a really fabulous tale, though for a while there I hadn’t a clue how you would manage to tie up so many concurrent plot arcs. Way to come onto the fanfic board with a roar.

You can count me along for the ride, wherever Angel takes us. :)

13. unusualsuspex

:lol: I'll just say 'heed the words of the El-Aurian'!:shifty:

Book Two coming shortly!

14. Ducautt

Ducautt Cadet Newbie

I finally found the time to read this in it's entirety. I'm very impressed mate! WHY IS THIS NOT IN PRINT?
    On a side note. How did you know I'm known for my BBQ?
    Keep up the great work.
    Your friend,
    Bill Johnson

15. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

[bandwagon]I've been saying for sometime now that several of our TBBS FanFic writers are easily as good as, if not better than, some of the Trek Fic authors who are published. That is not to diminish the published Trek Fic writers. But, there are many writers on this Board who really deserve to see print.[/bandwagon]

And I agree, I'm really enjoying this so far (though I'm not quite caught up just yet.

16. unusualsuspex

Oh, you guys.... :alienblush:

Sadly Pocket Books/Simon & Schuster/the Gods that be won't accept submissions on new crews.

To be honest, I've scanned the fan-fiction here and am blown away by much of it, seriously.

So ta very kindly for the kudos chaps and chappesses, but I suspect that print is a long way off for me!

OH, PS A CERTAIN CONTRIBUTOR TO THIS THREAD IS ALSO THE MAIN DRIVING FORCR IN KEEPING IT GOING!

I PRESENT THE MAN WHO MADE ANGEL FLY....

No, it's a secret for now unless he doesn't mind me telling! :lol:

17. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I've just finished reading this, after seeing the Trek Art thread for your crew. I'm very impressed, great read :techman:

18. Ducautt

Ducautt Cadet Newbie

I say... Give up the other guys ident!

19. unusualsuspex

Hidden talent!

Ladies, gentlemen, tribbles!

I give you the one and only Bill Johnson (aka Ducautt) who not only created the USS Mainstay (the vessel that became the USS Angel) but also took a starring role as the captain of said vessel!

Many many thanks are due to Bill for letting me play in his creation!

:angel:

20. Gibraltar

Any chance of providing a link to pics of the ship? I'd love to take a gander. :)