I need direction advice.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by NrobbieC, Sep 1, 2012.

1. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

Is it better to stick to the episodic style like I am for my first season or should I try for an arc, possibly a war? Bearing in mind mine are short stories and I'm not a brilliant author.

What works best for fellow writers out there?

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

My advice is always focus on writing one good story, not on setting up a series. That's a distraction that will not help you tell a good tale.

3. NrobbieC

That is wise advice :)

4. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd have to agree, start off with stand alones and then when you feel a bit more confident with your writing and characters try something a little more long-term.

That being said you can slip things into some stories that you could work with at a later date (not every plot line has to be resolved by the end of the story, and its good to have a little mystery now and then).

5. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

My advice can only be this: write what develops the strengths you already posess as a writer, at least until such time as you feel comfortable venturing out into new territory, adding new strengths. (That doesn't mean neglect the basic essentials, like characterization--far from it. Work on what you need to work on. Just start out with tales that play to what you know--or what your faithful readers have pointed out--that you are good at. Take what you're good at--and make it better.)

Most of my readers have commented that my strengths lie in character-driven stories--and through developing character through dialogue. I see their point--and it wasn't until I was fully comfortable with my skills at characterizaion that I could tackle more ambitious, plot-based stuff like my "From Risa With Love" or, more recently, "Our Sacred Honor".

I will say this, mate--arcs, or long stories, can be exhausting--and very demanding. So again--don't bite off more than you honestly feel you can chew.

I...hope that helps. :)

6. NrobbieC

Thank you :)

I don't have faithful readers that I know of, my feedback hasn't had any nibbles, but that could also be a good thing. I think I'll stick with telling the stories I want to tell and see how they progress naturally.