Trip Asking for Prime Rib

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by The Master of Tarquin Hill, Oct 30, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow... how clever... equating eating meat with cannibalism. You may equate your sentience with a cow or pig... but I have a higher regard for humanity.

So it's murder to eat a fruit or vegetable....? I mean they're living too

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dude. I am taking the piss.

Also, eating bacon.

3. R. Star

Eating bacon while taking a piss? Well they say bacon makes everything better. ;)

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Someone needs to make a bacon scented air freshener.

Oh never mind. It looks like they do.

teacake likes this.
  5. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Hey, some of my best friends are fruits and vegetables! ;)

6. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

You can be sure that food will continue to be produced in the most profitable way possible.

Whether anyone will be eating 'real' food is another question.

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Hell, a lot of the stuff we eat today wouldn't have been considered "real" food a couple of centuries ago.

I mean, what would folks from the American Revolutionary period think of Cheez Whiz?

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

If you think about it, in the future hopefully this politically correct ridiculousness that there the slightest thing wrong with the consumption of meat will be a thing of the distant past. That such thoughts once existed will be viewed with contempt, ridicule and mockery.

Prime rib comes from an cow, a beast of the fields, and not from a "junior human being."

[​IMG]

:)

9. R. Star

Lovely sentiment and one I share. I don't see it coming anytime soon though. PC dick waving is the "cool" thing these days to advance your own beliefs by ridiculing everyone who thinks differently. At least a tyrant is honest in that he wants to force you to change your beliefs. The way things are now people want to use that same contempt, ridicule and mockery to force people to change their views all under the banner of freedom of thought, act and ideas.

10. teacake

I'm not a vegetarian (I try to be as omnivorous as possible) but I do think when technology makes just as good tasting meat that doesn't involve killing an animal people will be more inclined to see killing animals as a cruel luxury.

11. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's not be too hasty! Whales are often killed for meat, amongst other things - to say nothing of the pure FUN of it! One wonders, if whales could scream, whether the practice could've endured, at all? In any case, they were shown, with a high degree of certainty, to be quite sentient in STAR TREK: The Voyage Home. Keep these things in mind!

By the way: I have forsaken eating anything with a face. I am not a Vegetarian, however, and I still rely on products from the meat industry - such as Milk and Eggs. And even Vegetarians feed on death, as Spock once so rightly put it. But when I realized that I didn't have to be a tomb for other creatures and my own survival, I found it hard to justify eating meat, at all.

12. teacake

So you eat.. sea urchins? Beche de Mer?

13. 2takesfrakes

Simply put, teacake, I do not eat meat. Nor am I a vegetarian, as I do not enjoy being stuck on the shitter for all hours of the day. Just because I do not eat meat, it does not necessarily follow that I would eat nothing but vegetables. I eat what everybody else would eat, I just took any meat off the plate ...

So, no, I do not eat Sea Urchins, Sea Cucumbers ... nothing of that nature. By the way, The fish in Fish & Chips, has become ever more benthic in nature, thanks to overfishing! You know those weird fish with all the long teeth and a glowing dangly bit over its head, from the ocean floor? <nods> That's what you'll find in there, anymore. I suspect this bit of trivia has put you off Fish & Chips, now?

14. teacake

I don't understand why you don't call yourself a vegetarian when that is the diet you describe? No one ever said vegetarians eat nothing but vegetables. Vegetarians don't eat meat. Some might call themselves Octo lacto vegetarians to indicate they eat eggs and milk, but you haven't said anything that points to you not being a vegetarian, with or without those describers. A person could eat mostly junk food but if they don't eat meat they are a vegetarian.

By the way I asked you about the urchins and cucumbers because they don't have faces :lol:

And most of our fish in fish and chips is shark. But no I wouldn't be put off eating something with dangly bits from the ocean floor. No more odd than all the baby octopus I've eaten.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  15. 2takesfrakes

Because ...

Clever! Devilishly clever ... :devil:

Consuming those poor baby octupii ... full of Mercury! :ack:

16. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Cephalopods in general have below average levels of mercury, using sea life in general as a base line. Examples of "full of mercury" would be mackerel, swordfish, shark.

But prime rib doesn't come from whales. And I would contend that such hunting is currently rare, certainly in comparison with the past.

And don't forget community pride, tradition and spirituality.

Hunted animals often make noise when their skin is pierced, to answer your question I doubt it would have effect the practice.

It depends on the breed of whale in question. The predatory toothed whales are apparently intelligent

But it can be pointed out that hogs and pigs also possess relatively high intelligence, about equal to a three year old Human child, and we (but not you) routinely kill and eat them.

Care for some faceless whale?

[​IMG]

:)

17. teacake

I would love to try whale. I know you can buy whale jerky but I've never seen it. I suspect it would taste more like beef jerky than like dried squid which I eat all the time. Dried squid is strongly fishy (with a healthy dose of sugar, msg and chillie on most of them).

18. jibrilmudo

jibrilmudo Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have to question the hypocrisy of the Federation Officers in the future... in DS9 at least, multiple crew members eat Klingon food including Gach without making a fuss, so does Riker and Picard (Riker when he was preparing for Officer exchange), etc. That's all living stuff, that moves, and probably is a type of animal.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Klingons eat live gagh, which is also known as serpent worms. It's understandable if Riker was getting used to the taste by eating replicated gagh, since the alternative was possibly throwing up all over the table in the presence of the Klingons.

teacake likes this.
  20. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By the way: I have forsaken eating anything with a face. I am not a Vegetarian, however, and I still rely on products from the meat industry - such as Milk and Eggs. And even Vegetarians feed on death, as Spock once so rightly put it. But when I realized that I didn't have to be a tomb for other creatures and my own survival, I found it hard to justify eating meat, at all.[/QUOTE]

So, you don't like to eat them.. You just like to "use" them. Kinda the same thing.