Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Mine as well. :)

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey, she could kill me anytime. :)

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awesome. I loved her on Doctor Who.
    I can't wait to see who they get as Rocket.
    This movie has gotten quite the mixture of actors. A sitcom cast member, a WWE wrestler, a Star Trek cast member, a Walking Dead cast member, Glen Close, and now a Dr. Who companion.

4. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

That's just fantastic news; between Gillan and Glenn Close my interest is so much higher.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. Which I think just proves even more that studios are stupid for not making a single female super hero movie in a decade. I guess they are still scared after the Catwoman mess.

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

If shooting is supposed to start this month, we're probably going to be seeing casting announcements coming fast and furious.

I don't know much of anything about the Guardians, but am digging the casting, what with Saldana, Bautista, Close, and the possibility of Reilly and either Watanabe, Rickman, or Laurie.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

And Elektra and going back Supergirl, must be others I'm forgetting. I think the studios just can't process woman + superhero into their formula machine. One only need look at Underworld and Resident Evil and the like to see it can work. Something about superheroes seems to trip them up.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I step out of my comfort zone sometimes, and it can work out (like watching Memento and inception and liking both) but I draw the line at an 80's "psychological" thriller about an obsessed woman that look like a stupid "chick flick".

I'm all for female Superhero movies. I'd like to see heroines like Ms. Marvel, Wonder Woman or She-Hulk get a movie. That said, they should not look at Resident Evil. Resident Evil shouldn't be looked at as a positive example of anything, except maybe how bad movies can keep making money and sequels years after they had any hope of not being horrible.

Qualified? To play a space cop whose supposed to be able to kick ass? The woman looks fit for her age, and I could see her playing an old WW2 Marvel hero in modern times. Maybe have the Invaders be revealed as secret allies of captain America from WWII and make her an old Spitfire, or maybe she could be Ms. America and be from a secret superhero SHIELD team from back in the day and have her in modern times helping the avengers or something. You could even have her retain powers and kick ass, and I could accept that role.

My thoughts on her in this are assuming that she'll be in a Nova corps costume hitting people, and that would be stupid. But, thinking about it, I guess she could work as a Nova corps leader if she was a ripoff of the Guardians from the green Lantern books, or the leaders of the star sapphires. An old alien who has never done any realy field work (or maybe a former field agent, now bound to a metephorical desk), but who is wise and leads the corps. If that turns out to be the case, I'd say she would probably be a good choice. I just can't get the image out of my head of her flying around like Richard Rider, but I'll admit I didn't think of her as being in a wise, non fighting, leader role and that could work out well.

Also, once again, the weird old woman was just in context of the role, it was not meant as any kind of shot against an actress I've barely seen.

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

In terms of casting, at least, this movie certainly has become more intriguing all the time.

10. DigificWriter

Kirk5555, Glenn Close's age has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not she can do action scenes or whether or not said scenes would look good.

Samuel L. Jackson can still kick ass with the best of them, and he's a year-and-change younger than Close, so please drop the ageism. If you're going to call Close a 'weird old woman', SLJ should be referred to as a 'weird old man'.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, the mention of SLJ is not random, as Close's role is apparently going to be the cosmic equivalent to his Nick Fury.

11. kirk55555

Really? You're comparing Sam Jackson, who has had to do a lot of action in some movies, to the 66 year old woman who, just from a glance, is not the kind of actress who does many action movies? Thats like saying Jim Carey should play a serious FDR, or Sylvester Stallone should play Hamlet. Some roles aren't for certain actors, and i'll say right now that the 66 year old woman who is not an action star by any stretch is not the kind of person you'd hire to play an action role. Like I said, I can see a few situations where it might work, but not all actors/actresses can do everything, and sometimes it is a matter of age, and not everyone makes sense for every role. Glenn Close as an active, fighting, member of the Nova Corps is up there with the other examples I mentioned as roles actors just don't make sense for. Make her the wise old leader, it would be fine, but she's not an action star and doesn't seem to have too much experience with that stuff.

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Fatal Attraction isn't a "chick flick".

13. DigificWriter

Now you're not only being ageist, you're being a typecaster. By the logic you're using, actors should only work in the niche/genre of acting with which they're most easily recognizable, and that's not the way acting works. Even a decent actor can take on roles from multiple genres/niches of acting, and Glenn Close is a phenomenal actor, as is evidenced by the multiple awards she's either won or been nominated for.

Saying she can't do an action film just because she doesn't typically take projects in that genre is like saying that an actor or director who has only done television projects can't work in feature-length films, which is ridiculous.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Buffy.

15. kirk55555

You could be right. Just from reading about it on wikipedia, it seemed like it would be a "chick flick". Wikipedia says the movie is about a woman obsessed with a man who uses her to cheat on his wife, then gets rid of her. That sounds like a movie with a demographic that is mainly women. It doesn't really matter, though. it still seems like a stupid 80's movie to me.

We're talking about a woman whose best years, physically, are behind her. She does not look like a superhero, and I'm sure she's not up for real superhero action movie stuff. Not that she'd need to, if they had her character do anything it would probably be completely CGI anyway, but its still just a stupid idea. She doesn't fit as a superhero or someone similar, its as simple as that.

You can't cast anyone for every role in movies. If she can be the leader of the Nova Corps, you might as well fire Saldana and hire Betty White as Galmora. By the logic of people that think Glenn Close would make a good space cop, Betty white in skimpy clothing and green make up probably makes just as much sense. Anyone who says that would be weird, wrong or just gross? You're prejudiced against old ladies who could be great actors. Everyone must be able to do every part. Someone call John Goodman, because the next Fantastic Four movie probably needs a Human Torch, and (since everyone can play every role) he might as well get the part..

16. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Glenn Close will do just fine. Let's not forget "Red" which - while not a huge hit as I recall - didn't exactly have people laughing at it. Plus, Close as leader of the Nova Corps? Doesn't sound anymore silly than, oh... Judi Dench as head of MI6. Let alone Sam Jackson's Nick Fury.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's closer to something like "Cape Fear" than a chick flick. Chick flicks don't usually feature someone terrorizing a family, killing their pets and causing all sorts of mayhem. Close plays the villain this.

It's Academy Award nominations were:
    Best Picture
    Best Actress in a Leading Role—Glenn Close
    Best Actress in a Supporting Role—Anne Archer
    Best Director—Adrian Lyne
    Best Film Editing—Peter E. Berger and Michael Kahn
    Best Adapted Screenplay—James Dearden

You do realize that not everyone cast in a superhero film play superheroes. Being the leader of the Nova Corps doesn't mean she has be a "superhero". Perhaps she's the Queen of Xandar?

18. DigificWriter

^ Whomever Close plays, it's probably going to be an original character, as there doesn't appear to be any existing humanoid characters from the comics who would fit the bill as the 'cosmic equivalent to Nick Fury', and all the reports we've gotten concerning her casting seem to indicate that she'll be playing a humanoid character.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whether you like the movies or not I think they show people will accept action movies helmed by superpowered women.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was Helen Mirren in RED and now RED2, not Glen Close. But ,IMO at least, they're pretty equivalent in age and talent, so your point still stands.