USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Belisarius

Belisarius Captain Captain

The ideal "barnacle" design would be to make the exposed surface of the pod just as heavily armored as the rest of the outer hull (the pods extend pretty far into the ship after all, so space isn't an issue). This would give you advantages in defense...aspect to incoming enemy fire...and planetary atmospheric reentry. Obviously, you'd need an ablative system for the rest of the hull, but that's to be expected. Personally, I like your blow-out panel system better, because the pods would then be uniformly armored to their scale. I'm using a similar system for saucer warp engine field grills.

Been following this since the beginning, Vektor. I give it four thumbs way, way up.

[​IMG]

~Belisarius
    ---------------------------
    "All life is struggle, from first breath to last."
    - Anonymous

2. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To me we are talking about flimsy covers because we want to hide the actual pods due to our artistic need to do so, not for some defense purposes.

Hiding the pods behind a blast door just seems to complex to function correctly when needed to work. Hell, half the time the enemies first shot takes out warp power and main power with it. Id Imagen the power to explode the blast door would be buried somewhere in redundant systems but how often does the self-destruct fail?

a general artistic outline of the pod on the surface with an armored escape pod may work rather well as noted above.

What about duplicating that grill design behind deck 3 and use that as the pod cover. add some glowing lights under the grill and each grill could open individually from the other pod grills.

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Could have much smaller 'hatches', with each one actually being attached to the pod under it. Keeps the surface flush (or close to it) without needing a separate door to open for them to get out. Then have a door (or another pod with the same shell on top) that closes behind it to fill in the armor gap left from the departed pod.

4. Belisarius

I think that reaching the point where you must resort to using escape pods implies that residual armor is the least of your concerns.

~Belisarius
    - Anonymous

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It just looks cooler this way, which honestly is the most important thing to begin with when it comes to 24th century ship design.

6. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting way to cover up the escape pods, I like it, no extra greebles. :bolian:

7. Paul Davis

Paul Davis Cadet Newbie

i like this very nice ship

8. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Started work on secondary hull panel lines:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Making progress a little bit at a time. ;)

9. KNH

KNH Commander Red Shirt

Small steps to a great result. ;) I may have missed it, but what program are you using to make her?

10. Lorna

Lorna Lieutenant Commander

wow I love this design! If my Enterprise-F series was ever made I'd want this ship design to be the design of my Enterprise-F.

11. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

Loving it. Im putting my vote behind the current escape pod set up. You just attach the panels with exploding bolts. It is an already proven design and besides it looks better.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love how the bridge looks to be nested teardrops.

13. Belisarius

Just curious, Vektor, and please forgive my ignorance...how do these models handle when used in animation? I assume you could manipulate these to create some pretty stunning footage, unless they're too massive. I find that hard to believe...but I have no real experience when it comes to modeling or 3D animation (beyond After Effects work like rotoscoping and digital extrapolation...most of which is concerned with 2D and limited 3D). Wondering if--given the fantastic detail and ultra-realistic textures of your designs--they could be used to create short sequences of film composited on starfield backgrounds or other stellar environments. I love seeing 'em in snapshots from different angles. I suppose I was just curious about whether or not it would be possible to see them in action, or what it would take to make the transition.

I do happen to know quite a bit about cinematography, editing, and filmmaking in general. I guess that's why this question intrigues me.

~Belisarius
    - Anonymous

14. Vektor

By special request, here's a brief glimpse at the Commander's personal runabout:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It comes fully equipped with a 6.2L V-8 M/AM injection warp core, high-performance inertial dampers, and a genuine Arcturian leather interior. Phasers and fore and aft micro-torpedo launchers optional.

And you all thought that hangar was for some auxiliary craft named the Blackfoot. Pffft... :evil:

Full disclosure: I didn't build the Camaro model, I found it online. There was no attribution to its maker, though I suspect it may have begun life as a real-time model in some auto racing game or other. Textures and graphics were added by myself and the Commander.

15. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

And does it transform into a badass but still kid-friendly robot? ;)

16. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Now, I take it that the Camaro and the Grandeur are both in precisely the same scale?

17. Vektor

Yes, they are both at correct scale.

18. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Kinda adds new meaning to "zoom-zoom"!

19. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Ye gods, the Grandeur is monstrously huge if those are to scale! :eek:

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think the Grandeur needs matching blue flames on the hull.