What would have improved Voyager?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by arwag, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Every episode where they didn't say "I'm still freaked out about when "X" happened last week" or they're suddenly running into the new boarder of a vast empire which spans a thousand light years, just like the last empire they bumped into the week before which spans a thousand light years vastly...

When the doctor fell in love with kes, when the Doctor fell in love with Seven, When Tom fell in love with Kes, when icheb fell in love with Seven, when icheb fell in love B'Lanna, when any one of them fell in love with an alien of the week and was fine the next episode or how Neelix didn't mention Kes again once until she showed up to kill them in Fury.

There was no continuing refurbishment or wounds or grips or grudges.

the reset button was infinitively prevalent! With the exception of the mobile emitter or how Kes exchanged for Seven, and the Delta Flyer... And maybe the marriage of Tom and B'Elanna... A relationship which the writers did forget about for years at a stretch that it was bloody surprising when it was brought up again that some one on Voyager was doing it... that you could shuffle any season up and play those episiodes even backwards and it would still make as much sense in reverse as they would in the direction correctly intended because no previous episode has a noticeable impact on the next.

O. No fracking children! 150 people who know how to use birth control? Now that's just the most science fictional thing I have ever heard! the reset button probably terminated a thousand or so illegitimate unwanted fetuses amid the seven season run.

2. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

^
    UPN strikes again. ;)

3. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

INDEED

4. Malcom

Malcom Vice Admiral Admiral

Pets! We were always told that Janeway liked dogs. Why didn't they take a lab and put blue or green food coloring on it and have her adopt a blue/green dog?

5. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

Would say the reset button happened with the crew manifest. The ship was reported to have less than 100 members and I would have to say Voyager lost 120 to 150 crewmen during the seven years. With all the extras that were on the show, would have to say there were over 300 crewmen. With the main characters talking about the extras I would say there were over 100 names just used as filler.

6. Guy Gardener

There are websites which kept track of this meticulously. These figures are close to the facts and from memory. I spent hours once tabulating everything precisely. I'm no longer that anal.

In total there were only 90ish crewmen accounted for by name.

The original crew manifest was 150. Don't know how many were on the Val Jean under Chakotay's command, but it was said at one point that approximately one quarter of both crews died in the trip into the delta quadrant, and after they united they were back up to 150 warm bodies.

In the 37's at the end, Chuckles and Janeway were talking about how many people they need to work the ship, she said that if less than a hundred people decided to stay on Voyager then they were all stuck n the 37's planet, but that they had nearly a hundred and 50. No one left. Which she took as a victory. I see it as a dramatic failure since from a world of humans with a population of a hundred thousand I think, that none of them wanted to explore the galaxy or go home. It's quite pathetic Janeway didn't take on crew purposefully or by accident.

is that where you got the "100" crewmen from?

After Caretaker add Neelix and kes, Naomi, the Equinox 5, Seven and Icheb... Supposedly another 20ish died in Admiral Janeways redundant timeline but the less spoken of that the better.

From memory I think 27 people left or died on camera. I'm not sure if that's counting Harry and Naomi who were replaced instantly by quantum duplicates? Though I think it's counting Quinn.

7. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Janeway and Seven...lesbian lovers. 'nuff said.

8. Guy Gardener

I don't know how else you would classify her relationship with Neelix?

9. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

1) Get rid of Paris or at least change him into somebody interesting
    2) Make Torres hate her human part
    3) Leave the doctor grumpy and make him less of a comic relief
    4) Make the ship bigger (maybe 500 people), keep the Maquis ship in the shuttlebay like the Maru in Andromeda.
    More people means there can be factions on the ship instead of one happy family; also, many people can die.
    5) Have a group of Cardies on board and make the Maquis less likeable
    6) Make Neelix cooler
    7) Have a whole season where they need to stay in one area (maybe waiting for a wormhole to open)
    8 ) Make supply problems an issue
    9) Get Rid of Naomi Wildman
    10) Less technobabble

10. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

If I could change Voyager:
    [*]Have more women on the show as leading characters therefore adding more characters.
    [*]Have the ship be all Starfleet members, no Kes, no Neelix.
    [*]Have a seven year mission and return home not being lost and finding a way home.
    [*]Have a complex relationship with a long voyage with the crew and not have oh hi and you are.
    [*]Limited combat as seeing a reset button of the ship all fixed up is annoying.
    [*]Have 7 of 9 as a B or C cup.

11. Malcom

Malcom Vice Admiral Admiral

Where was my head?

I stand corrected.

Phillips did a great job with a @#*! role.

12. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Anything

;) Sorry couldn't resist that. I used to really like VOY when it was on, watched every single episode, but still it never lived up to what I wanted the show to be.

I'm trying to find a link to that massive Ron Moore interview from years ago about why he left Voyager, but can't it, anyone help?
    Basically I agree with everything he said in that, probably why I love BSG so much. Maybe Voyager shouldn't have been exactly like BSG, but a lot of the tones should have been there.
    And as a poster above said, I wanted "Year of Hell" to actually happen, fair enough nto the entire show, but at least a season should been done with it ('Year' duh, :)) in a similar way to ENT Season 3 and the ongoing Xindi arc. Not a frakkin 2-parter which never even happened

13. Guy Gardener

O, I agree, Ethan milked the crap out of that character.

14. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

http://lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, thanks so much. I actually had it saved on my computer, but I haven't looked at it for a while. Yep, it really sums what a waste of time VOY was at the end of the day

"It was all very technical, and they were talking about the fact that in the premise this ship was going to have problems. It wasn’t going to have unlimited sources of energy. It wasn’t going to have all the doodads of the Enterprise. It was going to be rougher, fending for themselves more, having to trade to get supplies that they want. That didn’t happen. It doesn’t happen at all, and it’s a lie to the audience. I think the audience intuitively knows when something is true and something is not true. VOYAGER is not true. If it were true, the ship would not look spick-and-span every week, after all these battles it goes through. How many times has the bridge been destroyed? How many shuttlecrafts have vanished, and another one just comes out of the oven? That kind of bullshitting the audience I think takes its toll. At some point the audience stops taking it seriously, because they know that this is not really the way this would happen. These people wouldn’t act like this."

"The continuity of the show is completely haphazard. It’s haphazard by design. It’s not like they are trying desperately to maintain continuity of the show. They don’t care, and they’ll tell you flat out that they don’t care."

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

16. Guy Gardener

But once you get past all that, you can enjoy all those cool nineties hair cuts.

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

\

Moore seems to forget all the advantages that the replicators gave to the crew, and the fact that they could draw power from stars to recharge.

Basically, the only way they could've done VOY the way he saw it is if it wasn't in the Trek universe, which is what he did with NuBSG.

Because frankly his complaints are neutralized by everything already established long before him.

18. Guy Gardener

Only if you think of Voyager as an alpowerful gunship colony vessel city in space... And it wasn't. 344 meters long and 15 decks deep. with around a 150 people squeezed in there that had been trying to kill each other a couple hours earlier? That's an insane pressure cooker where people are going to be killing each other for just looking at them funny by the second season ( ;) ).

It's hard enough to get sports fans to share an arena for a couple hours, but the Maquis and Starfleet together in that cramped rickety barge? Have you seen West Side Story?

Since when was Voyager Solar Powered? In the fifth seasons opening story Night, they were all about the Deuterium, or was that merely because they were inside a stellar desert?

And there was LOTS of stuff they needed which Neelix was supposed to be the supply officer for. Hell during the pilot, I assumed that they were only having a limited number of torpedoes since they bothered to to mention they only had 70ish of them.

I love Voyagers flaws. Perfect shows are boring.

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that VOY could draw power from Nebula matter and energies given off by stars? That's standard sci-fi power-generation stuff.

As for the Maquis thing, they really had no reason to be so dead-set against each other since the only reasons they were fighting to begin with were back in the Alpha Quadrant, not in the Delta Quadrant. What's the point of continuing to fight over things that don't have meaning anymore?

They never really specified what Neelix was there for, since they really didn't need supplies. It was a guide they needed.

20. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

They still needed supplies. Replicators recycle but damaged material still has to be replaced. Also consider food & some medical supplies that are perishable.

Neelix was a trader, so he knew where & how to aquire supplies as well as knowledge of Delta Quaderant currancy. His over friendly nature makes him the perfect choice as a saleman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.