The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

issue #92 is out this week. and for those who read the comic you really need to get
    the walking dead rise of the govenor it's aviable both on the nook and kindle.

2. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not current with the comics at this point, but the way it and the tv show are presented, is that Rick and his rag-tag band exist in this microcosm within the state of Georgia.. All hell has broken loose there and they are just making it day to day... Because there's no power, there's no real way to know exactly what's going on outside their part of the world. Seattle or even Albuquerque could be a safe haven (having battled all those zombies from Santa Fe), but there's just no way for them to know.

In World War Z, the common practice was for civilization to head north to the upper reaches of Canada, since the zombies couldn't traverse in the sustained freezing cold.. Obviously, there's not much of a chance of that happening in Georgia.

3. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished reading Compendium 1 of the comics yesterday (issues 1-48). The first half was a little slow, although ironically I found myself preferring the show's adaptation of events, since it tends to linger on the more emotional stuff whereas the comics just keep going-going-going (Amy's death is a good example). But then the Governor arc in the second half, holy crap, intense stuff! :eek: Anyway is there any word on when Compendium 2 is supposed to be out? I'm assuming not until at least issue 96 is out? Dying to know what happens next!

4. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

It'll be a few years yet I think. I gave up and started buying the trade paperbacks.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Science and common sense don't work in a zombie show, so don't see why that would be a problem. 100 degree heat (documented on screen by characters digging graves) would pose just as big a problem to a zombie as cold, and that hasn't slowed them down. They should be exploding like over-filled meat balloons all over Georgia...

6. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

That would be a big draw for the "not enough action" crowd. :ack:

7. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Some of those zombies stayed in the shade, like the church ones.

I hope Shane leaves at the end of this season and Carl says "Shane! Come back, Shane!"

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

9. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Taking a "Star Trek Fan Boy leap of faith," on why the magical engineeering solution of the week works now and not later - why couldn't the part of the brain that regulates body temp be functioning as part of their urge to eat?

10. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Body temperature isn't what makes them swell up like meat balloons. It's the gases given off by putrefaction.

If you want a justification, just say that whatever virus/nanite/magic has animated the zombies: it also feeds on or kills the bacteria that contribute to the rotting process. The decay isn't halted, just slowed way down.

11. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see, thanks.

12. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

13. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Sort of cool idea, but one commentor had a good point
    Yeah...

The problem with such concepts is that in a 13 episode season, it's gonna slow down an already arguably slow moving series by going back and filling in blanks that don't really matter.

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I'm sure they could have consolidated the remaining episodes. Some people thought everything was dragged out too much, anyway, and even I began to think that the Sophia storyline was going on too long.

But I think that it would have been fantastic. We need more writers and producers like Darabont; he really knows what he's doing.

15. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the problem with this, as interesting as it is, is that, as a season premiere, it might confuse--or even annoy--viewers anxious to resolve the cliffhanger from the prior year. OTOH as a midseason break or webisode it would have been brilliant.

16. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Febuary can't get here soon enough for the season to continue.

17. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Hubby and I were just talking about how Walking Dead is coming back just in time for Valentine''s Day----because nothing says "I love you" like the zombie apocalypse. :lol:

18. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Wow. That really would have been amazing. I especially like the idea of having a "wildcard" episode every season. It would have given the series a huge scope.

What the hell was AMC thinking treating this show the way they did?

19. Aeon

Aeon Commander Red Shirt

Money of course.

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I love the idea for that episode, but, I don't think Season Premiere would be a good place for it by itself. As a B-Story, alongside the resolution of the S1 cliff hanger, it could've worked very well, and would've given us a lot less "running around on the freeway and in the woods"