Is Star Trek better as a TV series or a film series?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Overlord, Jan 31, 2014.

?

Is Star Trek better as a TV series or a film series?

1. TV Series

58 vote(s)
    95.1%
  2. Film Series

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek has been both a TV series and a film series over the decades, but what do you think Star Trek works better as, a TV series or a film series?

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Plomeek Broth

Plomeek Broth Commander Red Shirt

TV and it's not even close.

There were some excellent TOS films.

However when they had some TNG actors like McFadden sporting the plasma rifle weapons it became absurd. Trek is action hero fodder! So the drooling movie going public can understand and enjoy the experience.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

My fondest memories are from the 12 movies. They're my favourite elements of Trek distilled.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I like both formats and don't think one is inherently better than the other where Trek is concerned.

6. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For me, TOS worked better in the films (not including nuTrek).

Overall, TNG worked better for me on TV (apart from First Contact which I loved), but I think if they instead took a decade or so break between TV and film and had new writers/producers at that point, their film outings could have been truly epic. Who knows.

DS9 worked very well for television, but I believe it could have also worked nicely as a semi-serial film series. Loved what we got with the TV series though.

Again, my opinion. :)

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

TV! But part of the reason that I vote for TV Trek is that there are so many more hours of TV Trek vs. movie Trek. Plus, Abrams hasn't been involved in TV Trek!

9. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    I'd say the quality-to-crap ratio was pretty similar in both formats. Obviously if you enjoy Trek for the action, you'll likely prefer the movies, since the shows could often be very talky.

10. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TV.

As we see with nuTrek, the movie going audience wants high action movies heavy with special effects. While that's fine for a a 2 hour movie, Star Trek has always been so much more than "just" high action. The full spectrum of Star Trek from action to cerebral to morality plays can only fully be expressed in a weekly TV series.

11. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

come to think of it, it's hard to find decent film OR television these days. Or is it that I'm getting old and jaded? :/

12. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

TV. You can do more impressive special effects on a movie budget, but television is a better medium for developing characters over a long period of time. Aside from DS9 and the latter half of Enterprise, Trek mostly went for stand alone episodes instead of character development. But TV has the POTENTIAL to show deeper character arcs.

Trek on film can be entertaining. But I think it's on television where it really can be the best it can.

13. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really, people say this the golden of television, with shows like Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Game of thrones, Justified, etc. I think this the best TV had been, ever. I think you have more quality TV now, then in the past.

14. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TV series. No Contest.

Star Trek 1-6 worked well because we already had the TV series. Had we not had the series, there wouldn't have been much point to them. We were catching up characters of a series that had been cancelled unceremoniously a decade prior.

Star Trek TNG worked better as a series, VS Star Trek Generations, FC, Insurrection, Nemesis.

Star Trek 2009, was a good blockbuster movie that I really enjoyed, but for me, is missing that essence that TOS had.

Star Trek ID, for me at least, was a C- to a D+ movie. I really didn't care or it, and feel it was really just too much of a homage movie to be taken as anything more than that.

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Definitely as a TV series. I love the new Star Trek movies, and I think J.J. Abrams has done a magnificent job of making some fun and exciting Star Trek, but the small screen is where it really belongs, as well as an occasional movie to hammer out some idea.

On the small screen, you can take your time, over the course of a couple of episodes, a couple of seasons even, building up to something great and awe-inspiring. On the big screen, you have about a 120 minute block to go from scratch to conclusion, and make it all work. That's a tight fit, and a lot gets left on the cutting room floor because of it.

TV is where Star Trek started, and I think that's where it works best. Just my two bits.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

TV, no question. I love the TOS movies, but it's still no contest.

17. Viper78

Viper78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would definately say TV. Most of the films are great but there was nothing better than looking forward to a new adventure on TV each week.

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

TV series, certainly.
    This in a nutshell.

19. Isolinear

Isolinear Commander Red Shirt

TV.

Although I like the TOS-movies a lot. The TNG-movies are a different story. The series was so, so much better...

Visually the movies are superior of course. The TV-sets feel low-budget (cramped) sometimes, but the stories more than make up for it.

20. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    No soap, radio.