Trek references

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Tora Ziyal, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

From a column by Maureen Dowd in today's NYT, obviously re the last Presidential debate:

"Forgoing his Klingon rhetoric, Mitt played cling-on to Obama’s Spock, suddenly clutching onto the president’s positions on China (which he said had made 'progress' on trade), Iran, the Afghanistan deadline, drones and ousting Hosni Mubarak."

:)

Seen any other good examples of Star Trek showing up in the media or general culture?

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

And let's not forget who actually got Snooki (from Jersey Shore's) pregnant.

3. Tora Ziyal

^ ???

I know who Snooki is, but who got her pregnant, and what does that have to do w/ Spock?

4. T'Girl

When I read the OP, I assumed you were starting a comedy thread. And so I joined in.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Who got Snooki pregnant?

6. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

You have to understand, Ziyal: you posted something involving politics that could be constructed as positive about Obama and negative about Romney, so she had to post something passive-aggressive about it (completed with her patented I-just-said-something-sneakingly-insulting-but-you-can't-call-me-on-it-because-I-added-a-smile smile).

She'll deny it, of course, but that's what passive-aggressive posts are for, don't they.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  7. Tora Ziyal

Yeah, I kind of figured that out after her second post. :( Of course, what I was really posting about was not Obama/Romney, but the use of Trek images by a mainstream columnist.

8. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Leverage had two episodes back to back with Trek references in the most recent eps this season.

The one about faking a First Contact with aliens had Eliot pretending to be a hill billy that watched the stars named "Willie Riker".

The show however has Jonathon Frakes as a recurring director, so no big surprise there.

The ep after the faking a "First Contact" had "Jean Luc" as one of the bad guys name.

9. iguana_tonante

Of course. And your thread title made it abundantly clear. But I guess politics give people a kind of tunnel vision, sometimes.

10. T'Girl

Ah iguana_tonante, you're seeing a complexity where none exists (again?).

What I posted was in fact just a joke, one that's been floating around for a few weeks now. On the Conan O'Brien show there was a parody political ad where the message was "Obama killed Bin Laden, and he killed Jersey Shores." This transformed fairly quickly into "Obama killed Bin Laden, and he got Snooki pregnant."

Sometimes iguana_tonante a cigar is just a cigar.

http://www.gotchamediablog.com/2012/09/conan-obama-killed-bin-laden-and-jersey.html

(Oh, and i usually, but not always, end my posts with a smile)

11. iguana_tonante

I guess you only do it when you want to be annoying. Usually, but not always.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Two funny "Star Trek" references about Billy Van Zandt.

He played the military cadet, Bug, in the movie "TAPS". "Spock's Brain" comes on TV and Bug reveals to the other cadets that he has watched "every episode" of the original series. Of course, Star Trek fans watching the movie realize that the actor had played the Rhaandarite bridge ensign in ST:TMP.

In the TV series "Anything But Love", Billy plays Harold, a writer working in a magazine office. In one episode, he has stumbled across a Star Trek convention downstairs and arrives in the office and starts running amok with a phaser.

Coincidentally, Billy later married Adrienne Barbeau, and then she got a role as Romulan Senator Cretak in DS9.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think I may have a new personal hero.;)

14. Dantheman

Dantheman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I remember on the TV series Night Court, a group of TOS Trekkies and TNG Trekkies are brought before Judge Stone's bench for causing a disturbance at a Star Trek convention. One of the TOS fans says "Captain Kirk would never have allowed an android on the bridge", clearly a shout-out to Brent Spiner, who before TNG appeared on Night Court regularly as a hillbilly.

15. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Incidentally, John Larroquette (Dan Fielding of Night Court) played Maltz in STIII.