Klingon augment virus/Into Darkness Klingons

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by DavidLeeRoth, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

But Spock still says the supernova threatens the galaxy.

2. Ketrick

Ketrick Commander Red Shirt

Uh, you're missing my point. There's no reason not to believe that Romulus was destroyed hours or even days before Spock reached the supernova thereby giving Nero plenty of time while Spock was still en route to the supernova to be tatooed. Remember the events shown in the mind meld aren't being shown in real time.

As for me suggesting Spock Prime left stuff out of the mind meld, I wasn't suggesting it was for some nefarious reason. My thought is he did it to save time and prevent Kirk from asking unnecessary questions. Kirk didn't even really believe Spock was Spock at the point of the mind meld and if Spock related anything resembling what happened in Countdown Kirk likely would have had tons of questions or even blamed Spock and refused his assistance. Time was of the essence. Nero had to be stopped before more planets were destroyed. Spock Prime simply didn't have the time to get into those things.

Then again, Countdown technically isn't canon so no explanation is needed. However, this is an easy explanation for anything that seems to be inconsistent should Countdown be made canon in the future, as I hope it will be.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Spock's mindmeld also shows us Romulans without tattoos. The crew of the Narada must have had some reason to tattoo their faces, and the Countdown comic offers the most plausible explanation.

What I am more concerned about are Klingons with piercings!

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why concerned?

5. Oso Blanco

I don't really like the idea ... but maybe it won't look as silly as it sounds. Anyway ... Romulans with tattoos, Klingons with piercings ... what's next? Bolians with mohawks?

6. SalvorHardin

Actually, there were some early concept designs for Nero & the Romulans that had them with piercings. They didn't look that great.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Agreed.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm more concerned with the pic of the loony with the pierced ANKLES floating around Facebook a few weeks ago. Holy shit that looked painful. To say nothing of Prince Alberts.

Klingon forehead piercings are tame in comparison to what the people of Earth are doing.

9. Oso Blanco

That much is true!

10. SalvorHardin

I'm not familiar with the pierced ankles pic but the Prince Albert stuff ...:scream:
    Unless "Klingon forehead ridges piercings" does not refer to the upper head.:klingon:

11. F. King Daniel

:lol:"upper head":guffaw:

12. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Another reason why the males of a species (any species), need to take a moment to remember that there is never enough blood in the body to accommodate rational thinking, by both 'heads' at the same time.

13. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with all those who say the 'forehead issue' has been blown out of all proportion over the years. IMO it's clear that the TOS Klingons may not have had ridges, and the 'new' TMP look was a retcon, yes. But it was one which we were all obviously supposed to apply retroactively (ie, that was what Klingons 'always' looked like). The comment in "Trials And Tribbilations" was clearly a joke. It was the production team poking fun at the fact that they obviously had to confront why Worf's makeup and that of the 'original' Klingons in the archive footage look so different. It speaks volumes that while the DS9 team were apparently tempted to follow up on it, they ultimately decided it was a narrative dead-end and just dropped the entire subject.

Enterprise obviously had a bet each way. Their explanation was very clever, but ultimately I would hope that the makers of "Into Darkness" are smart enough to imply the augment virus (perhaps through use of un-ridged background Klingons) without making it a plot point. After all, why shouldn't Klingons have ridged and un-ridged? Adds a bit of diversity to their overall look. ;)

14. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Or even ruffled. :p

I, for one, thought that the explanation in Enterprise was brilliant. Had "Trials and Tribble-ations" never acknowledged that the Klingons didn't resemble Worf, I would have accepted (perhaps a bit grudgingly ;) ) that the Klingons always had ridges, even though I know the full story of how the original makeup came about. (*) But since they did hang a lampshade on it, Enterprise's explanation works well.

(* - For those who don't know, the story, as I read it, was that nobody had really put any thought into what Klingons should look like. So John Colicos and Fred Phillips chatted about it when Colicos showed up for his first day of shooting on "Errand of Mercy," and together they came up with the Genghis Khan look.)

15. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, in Trials they could have ignored the difference between Worf and the other Klingons and I would have been fine with it. I might never have noticed.

Whoever said all Klingons had to look alike is a big fat racist and his mother smelled like elderberries.

16. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

I'm assuming that these pictures are legitimate. It would appear that Abrams Klingons do have ridges somewhat. [​IMG]

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Joel-Harlow-21.jpg

[Effing HUMUNGOUS hotlinked picture converted to link. Images posted inline must be hosted on your own webspace or image-sharing account, and not leeched from a site belonging to someone else. They should also be of dimensions appropriate to the forum page; filesize for a still image should be well under 1 Mb. - M']

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2013
  17. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

I'm so sorry that that picture is so large!

18. F. King Daniel

Those are makups from the 2009 movie. They are incomplete, since the actor wouldn't have been seen unmasked only the exposed bits were done.

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

It's not only gigantic in dimension, but the 8.5 Mb filesize is killing the page-load time. Way, way too big.

Also hotlinked, so I'm converting it to a link. What you need to do when you post pictures as inline images is make sure they're hosted on your own image-sharing account (most of these are free and also include basic image editors to resize, crop, etc.)

If you don't have an image-sharing account or don't wish to host the image, post a link to a page which contains that image.

[Edit:] Like this:
    http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/exclusive-the-secrets-of-star-trek-part-i/attachment/joel-harlow-2-3/

Note the October 2009 date.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  20. Mirror Sulu

Mirror Sulu Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This is the way I like to view all of the different ALT-timelines in Trek, like DC's Multi-verse. To go off topic for a second, the plot of Turtles Forever, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 25th anniversary cartoon, presented all of the different takes on the Turtles (live action movies, Anime, 80's cartoon, 2003 cartoon, graphic novels, CGI movie, etc, etc) as ALL canon, but canon from varying dimensions. Thats definately an interesting thing to consider for Trek also.