The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

She's nowhere to be seen then.

2. Bounty

Bounty Commander Red Shirt

No, he has a few interchangeable officers. They were nciely menacing, but hard to tell apart since they all dress in the same black trenchcoats.

Very PG-13. There's no obvious gore, but there are more than a few bruises and bloody noses. And a certain scene with Pike and Nero is not one I'd take a small child to see.

3. Whatever

Whatever Lieutenant Red Shirt

Dang :(
    So,doesn't Nero's crew get some personal screen time ?,or are they just front line meat ?
    Maybe its just me ,but i like how they were portrayed in the comic,i mean Nero's crew.

4. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

"I got your gun" :lol:

5. Bounty

Meat for the grinder. He has, I think, one named officer, the rest are there to fill the ranks. Hey, there were enough characters to keep track of as-is...

:cool:

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, even with 2 days to go for us here in Ohio you guys took down the No Spoilers thread! Eek!

Anyhoo, just posting (without reading any other post until Friday! :mad:) that I got my two tickets for Friday, May 8th 7 PM. I beat the rush as our theater had started pre-selling at 5:00 PM. I showed up at 5:01 PM. :D

J.

7. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

yeah, I've been expecting some people to complain about that. just don't read this thread, people. only two more days, after all ;)

8. bleumonique

bleumonique Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

After reading these threads, I can't! IMAX tickets have been purchased and waiting...!!!!

9. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Seen it twice now. Noticed all kinds of nice little details on the second viewing (a nameplate for Admiral Lenard at the Kirk Kobayashi Maru trial scene... Kirk is eating an apple during the actual Kobayashi Maru, which reminds me of Kirk eating an apple in the Genesis cave in TWoK saying "I do not like to lose".. The quotes, like McCoy saying "Are you out of your Vulcan mind?!" .. that kind of stuff. I'd like to see a thread collecting all the references from the new film to the old Trek soon when more people have had a good look.)

I do have to say some things still bothered me a lot. The Delta Vega scene with the two monsters was just an unnecessary chase scene worthy of later Star Wars films. Scotty's little helper has to go. Spock & Uhura... still not feeling it. And what was Delta Vega doing in the Vulcan sky? And is there now a massive black hole in the Earth's system? Wouldn't that cause all kinds of problems soon? And, sorry to say, still not sold on the whole Vulcan destroyed, Vulcans in exile idea. Although I can see how it can become an interesting storyline in the later movies.

Karl Urban is excellent as McCoy. I really enjoyed his performance. Quinto's Spock is very different from Nimoy's but still somehow Spock. Scotty I did not care for much. And did I say already that his little sidekick has to go?

I hope there is a slower-paced Extended Cut or something on the DVD.

10. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Nope. Quinto-Spock flew the squid ship and jumped to warp. Nero took the bait and jumped as well. When the two ships were facing each other they were into some kind of dark blue nebula, i.e. they were far away from Sector 001.

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Looking forward to seeing it. :techman: Tomorrow or Saturday, depending upon when I can manage to sneak out for a couple of hours.

It's still floating around.

12. Bounty

Dunno. He did a really badass powerwalk to the shuttle. Did you see how he got to the turbolift and the doors just sorta slid away into the wall so they wouldn't bother him? He's that sort of badass.

13. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Oooh, thanks. Yeah now that you explain it I do remember them going to warp. :bolian:

14. Bounty

And then there's Scotty's trick which may have plugged the magic spacehole.

15. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Robau was portrayed as nervous and inexperienced. But who wouldn't be nervous with Narada off the port bow. Actually, Pike wasn't nervous when Narada went after him. Pike was the bad-ass. I hope he's in the next one.

16. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

You could definitely play the Shaft Theme during that walk!

17. Bounty

More like scared stiff and faced with a problem he had no idea how to handle. I wouldn't say he acted "inexperienced"; his orders were clear, concise and ended up saving the crew.

18. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I like the sidekick! He's cute!

Hey I think there is! The Onion video mentions a special five-hour long cut where the characters debate whether or not to rescue the Andorian ambassador from the surface of Silex IV.

19. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I'll call it above average. The ridiculous nature of Kirk's promotion, the fit-inducing action scenes and snow monsters drag it down for me.

20. Sky

Sky Captain Captain

Yeah whatever. I would like to see some of the scenes Quinto mentions in the Deleted Scenes article. Maybe I'm an old fogey but I would've preferred a bit more character buildup.