‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Some quotes from David Goyer:

"We don't know what we're going to call it yet — 'Superman vs. Batman,' 'Batman vs. Superman,' — but those two guys on screen, that's happening."

"To a certain extent, Superman, cinematically, hadn't been reinvented since the Donner films. We will be dealing with it in the coming film. He's not fully formed in [Man of Steel]. He will have to deal with the repercussions in the next film."

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Wonderful...so it's definitely "vs."....

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like someone else said up thread, I have a feeling this will start off with them fighting, but in the end they'll come together to fight a bigger threat, possibly Lex?
    I loved MOS, and I'm very intrigued by this. It will be interesting to see how they approach Batman.
    I wonder if this be a regular thing, with new characters introduced in multiple MoS sequels before Clark brings them all together for a JL movie?

4. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Superman versus Batman? Are they kidding? No. Not liking this idea at all.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It been happening since the 1980s. Trust me, it's popular.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Man of Steel Into Darkness

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Oh, please. It's a time-honored comic-book tradition for superheros to clash at first before teaming up against a common foe.

Remember Thor and Iron Man and Captain America knocking each other around in THE AVENGERS, and the Hulk taking on Thor and Black Widow later on? And Hawkeye fighting everyone for most of the movie?

This has been going on in comics since the Human Torch first fought the Sub-Mariner back in the Golden Age . . . .

8. Nerys Myk

Man of Steel: A Dark Knight Rises.

9. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to see how it goes.

10. The Old Mixer

But the title of the movie presented them as a team. This and the Miller quote about boots on necks doesn't give the right vibe.

Heck, why give a merged-symbol logo if they're supposed to be fighting? Shouldn't they be head-to-head or something?

11. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

This sounds like something to build for a Justice League movie. Better news is that there's going to be a Flash movie in 2016.

12. Dorian Thompson

Superman was the only comic character I ever spent any time on as far as actually reading comics goes, so it's all new to me. Clashing with another super hero seems clichéd.

I still say this version of Superman needs a lot more character development and time to get fully fleshed out before they toss an iconic character like Batman at him. He was overshadowed enough by Jor-El's presence and the CGI battles. Cavill deserved a chance at that.

13. The Old Mixer

Superman's kind of iconic himself...he can hold his own onscreen opposite Batman in a team-up film, especially if Batman's the new guy. But if they want to go the Miller route of turning Superman into a straw man to make Batman look good, that's another matter....

14. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I doubt they'd do that, considering how important Superman is to ANY DC cinematic universe creation.

15. Nerys Myk

How can it be new and sound cliched?

16. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

At least they dropped that delusion that they could get a Justice League movie out on the same day as Avengers 2.:rommie:

I don't have a whole lot of faith in this one, as DC traditionally sucks at live action movies. They've only had five great ones: The Nolan Trilogy, MoS and Superman II (the Donner Cut). After those five, the only other decent ones were the Michael Keaton Batman films.

I simply can't believe how DC is so far behind everything. They should have had a Justice League movie in the vein of Avengers five years before Avengers came out. They have the most iconic characters as far as society overall is concerned.

17. Dorian Thompson

Yes, but that all depends on the production team, directors, and writers crafting a good story. The MOS creative team didn't win me over. There were pieces of a very good movie and story in the film, but Superman was still so "new" unto himself as a man with abilities and powers that he seemed overwhelmed by Jor-El's memory and the spectacle of the battles with Zod. He doesn't seem "iconic" yet. The second half of the film just collapsed, IMO. It didn't do the character justice. A character this new deserves more time to fully develop and become iconic in his own right. With the addition of Batman, especially if he isn't cast well, it seems as if TPTB are throwing more things at the story before Superman becomes a complete character in his own right. I prefer slow, steady character development, but I'm not in the target demographic, I'm sure.

Exactly. That occurred to me as well. Henry Cavill and this new Superman universe needs time to come into its own or Superman could get overshadowed by Batman and the powerful back story of that character. It's all in the execution. I'd be far more excited about this idea if there was going to be a second MOS film fleshes out Henry Cavill's Superman first.

That all your famous super heroes didn't get along at one point is new to me since I wasn't an avid comic book reader at all growing up. It's the idea of two alpha males clashing and then becoming friends through adversity that seems clichéd to me.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a rumor they were developing Justice League for the same summer as Avengers 2, but not for release on the same day.

19. The Old Mixer

Then they need to get Batman's boot off Superman's neck. I was enthusiastic about this for five seconds, then they pulled out that crap.

20. Nerys Myk

Isn't it a quote from Miller's Dark Knight series? I think they're just trying to sell the idea that Superman and Batman won't be fast friends.