‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Superman in MoS is like Kirk and co. in Trek '09--inexperienced and finding his way. I was not expecting him to be the master of the situation. I expected what I got--someone who is facing a crisis beyond anything in his imagination. Of course he's going to rely on the help and direction of others who have more knowledge of such things. As Kirk said to Saavik once, "we learn by doing". I expect his experience with killing Zod is what bars him from killing again. I expect his experience with facing a military-style threat will get him to bear down and study (off-camera--no need to see this happen before the next film). I expect he will reflect on what he did and seek to do a better job next time. What I did not expect, given it is an origin and introduction story, was a fully realized Superman who hits all the "right beats" from the get go. That would have been boring.

The same applies to Kirk and Co. in the Abrams films. I don't expect the fully actualized, confident Kirk of TOS.

Oops. Just realized I was in the Superman/Batman thread. On topic: As I very much enjoyed both MoS and the Dark Knight trilogy, I feel reasonably confident about this project.

YMMV

2. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Well I loved Man of Steel and I loved the Superman/Batman animated films, so I am very much looking forward to this film.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Casting for Batman should be announced pretty soon given the schedule they're looking at for this film. Cavill and Armie Hammer are due to shoot Man from UNCLE in the fall. I wonder if we'll see the two of them move straight on to Superman/Batman thereafter.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the more this sinks in, the more it makes sense. Doing yet another Batman movie so soon didn't feel right and maybe they saw that too. This is a good strategy. I do hope though that people here are right and that this really is a Man of Steel sequel that just happens to incorporate Batman. I want to see this version of Superman explored a little more and not get sidelined too much by a World's Finest/Justice League story.

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I'd like to see it happen, the Nolan-verse isn't going to be continued as part of a wider live-action DCU. As per Emma Thomas:
    Regarding whether or not this is a Man of Steel sequel that just so happens to involve Batman, the feeling I've gotten from the various reports I've read is that such is indeed the case.

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Snyder referred to it as a Superman sequel at the Comic-Con panel.

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I feel a bit mixed about this. While I would love to see a Superman & Batman movie, I would have liked at least one more solo Superman movie before they teamed him up with Batman.

But I am open to it. Can't wait to see who they ast as Batman.

8. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they do this, I hope they will consider my favorite Batman actor, Kevin Porter.

[​IMG]

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    They won't.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, I don't think they really need a new movie to set up a new Batman. At this point, most of the world knows the basics: Wayne Manor, Alfred, Bat-Cave, dead parents, etc.

If, in the new movie, Superman visits Gotham City and a mysterious stranger in a bat-suit emerges from the shadows, I doubt if anyone in the audience is going to wonder, "Hey, who is this Batman dude? What's his story?" :)

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Although TDKR sets up a hypothetical Batman Beyond movie pretty well, with Blake in the McGinnis role...

12. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

This is a terrible idea. I may be in the minority, but this doesn't encourage me at all. Batman coming on the scene before Superman is a fully actualized character bodes ill for the movie. It screams more CGI action and limited character development. If Batman is cast wrong, even worse.

This idea needed to come after the MOS sequel. Superman could really be overshadowed by the Batman character. I don't trust the MOS writers to balance anything in terms of story. It screams "gimmick!" Then again, I've never been someone clamoring for a justice league movie. It's all just a little too precious.

13. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know, and that's too bad. He's a really good Batman.

[​IMG]

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Honestly, if we're finally getting a Superman/Batman movie, I think it needs to be Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne. That's what people are going to want to see.

There's a reason that STAR TREK: GENERATIONS didn't feature the long-awaited meeting between Captains Picard and Sulu! :)

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Exactly. If Snyder, Goyer, Nolan, ect; feel the need to put their own stamp on Batman's origins for this new continuity, they can holdout for the eventual solo movie. It wouldn't well serve the pacing of a team-up movie to diverge away from the movie's main story for however long it takes to give the audience information that it essentially already knows.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm not really seeing Blake as Batman in a Superman/Batman team-up.

I was just wishfully thinking of a hypothetical 4th Nolanverse film which will never happen.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Besides The Dark Knight Returns, there's another Batman/Superman crossover that Snyder and Goyer should pilfer from. And, interestingly enough, DC is reprinting it this fall. That would be 1989's Dark Knight Over Metropolis.

The story is a pretty trivial murder mystery that brings Batman to Metropolis. The important thing about the story is the conclusion, where Superman gives Batman Luthor's Kryptonite Ring because, and I'm quoting this from some very old memories, Superman wants the power to kill him "in the hands of the one man I can trust."

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

My guess is that Batman and Lex Luthor will be allied for a while in seeing Superman as a potential threat to mankind.

19. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Covered all of my concerns about this team-up film.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They can always do a Nolanverse comic featuring Blake.