Ezri on the Aventine (Destiny)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DBR, May 19, 2010.

1. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm about 75 pages into the first Destiny novel, and I can't help but think I've missed something along the way...

Warpath was the last DS9 novel I read, and that was quite along time ago now.

I tried looking this up by myself, but found it difficult to avoid spoilers on memory alpha.

Am I missing something, or do you suggest I just shut up and keep reading because everything will be flushed out?

2. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, there is about four or five years of story time between the two stories, so yeah, you're missing quite a lot. Not all of that time has been covered in the books - especially not from the DS9 characters' POV.

But the scene in Warpath about Dax considering a transfer off DS9 - that was a set-up for where we find her in Destiny. The other DS9 characters don't play much of a role in the story (if any), so everything else you need to know will probably be right there in the text.

3. garoo1980

garoo1980 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've never read any DS9 books and didn't watch the show too much, but I found Destiny really easy to join. I've read all the TNG relaunch stuff though so I'm sure that helped.

Anyway, carry on reading, you'll pick up what you need to no problem

4. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah. You missed two DS9 relaunch novels, in which Ezri decides to transfer off-station. Destiny takes place 5 years later, and so far we have no idea what happens to any other DS9 people in that time. Ezri's backstory is filled in later in Gods Of Night.

The Rough Beasts of Empire, later this year, will jump DS9 to the same timeframe, and tell us where all the rest of them have ended up in the mean time.

5. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ There will also be a number of DS9 revelations in Zero Sum Game, which comes out before Rough Beasts of Empire.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OOoooo, very cool.

7. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Well, fine, get me MORE excited, why don't you? :lol:

8. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

what novel does she transfer of ds9? i read the soul key and then jumped to destiny... what have i missed?
    why the hell does everyone think its strange that a lt cmdr get promoted to captain. my friend's grandfather got command of a destroyer during WW2 as a lieutenent...

EDIT: thanks Mr. Mack. now there's no way i'll survive until october...

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Ezri's actual transfer and the reasons behind her decision haven't been shown (yet). All we know is what's been revealed in Destiny and A Singular Destiny.

10. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

And we have to wait how long for this book?

:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

11. ares93

i'm telling you this is like torture... we gotta wait until october. at least in the US. i'm guessing december 2011 here in sweden. a singular destiny was just released over here... i'm gonna buy every damn ST book when i'm in the states. bloody impossible to get a hold of them here.

12. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

13. Angstromdweller

Angstromdweller Lieutenant Red Shirt

I usually buy my books from amazon, but I got A Singular Destiny and a few other books from Science Fiction Bokhandeln over a year ago. I am rather confused by that statement.:vulcan:

14. ares93

How so? i bought the destiny series from that store and i found a singular destiny among the newly released books. if you bought it over a year ago it must have been some kind of bug. or was it something else confusing?

15. Angstromdweller

Angstromdweller Lieutenant Red Shirt

^
    Well, we can conclude that it is not a newly released book in this country. And since we are apparently speaking of the same store, I just don't see why one would have to wait a year for the Typhon Pact books.

16. ares93

guess i was a bit sarcastic on that one. until you told me that you bought it a year ago i thought it was delayed by approx a year. thats where dec 2011 came from.

17. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been on this board for a while now & one thing I have noticed is these writers love to torment us like this. A little taste then an evil smile or laugh.

18. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ They don't pay us much, but the perks are pretty cool.

19. ares93

do you guys mind if i use that in my signature?

20. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ You're certainly welcome to my part of it :)