3D Printing

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by MadMan1701A, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Hey guys... It's been a while. :)

I've been busy with my new FlashForge 3D printer lately... basically, it's a clone of the original Makerbot 3D printer.

After about 2 weeks of messing with it, I was able to figure out how to modify some of my 3D models to print.

I started with my "Prime Alternative" Enterprise model, and I think it came out well. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a total of 8 different parts, superglued together.

I just printed a second copy, with a few more refined details that I am going to paint and finish nice. :)

-Ricky

fireproof78 and saddestmoon like this.
  2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

That's cool! how big a model were you able to create?

Eta: more questions

how much did you have to simplify the detail on the cg models to work with the printer? What file type does it work with? Are you taking requests? How much do you charge? :techman:

3. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Yes, I'll chime in too.

Looks to be, judging by the poster size, bigger than 1/1000th. scale. Did you manage to get it up to 18" long like the first TOS model? How much fine detail are you able to do on this type of printer?

How much for the parts and peices? :drool: I want to build one! Forbin Would like to kitbash - he'll need 12!

Super cool .... so jealous...

Q2UnME

4. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Awesome model. I know that there is tons of Star Wars 3D printed stuff, but I never seem to see any for Star Trek.

I liked the "scrapped" one in the background. I'm assuming you snap all the pieces together then? That would certainly get around the issues of a small printer, although the seams might look a bit odd up close.

5. MadMan1701A

This one is about 11 inches long. I was trying to match sizes with the Polar Lights 1:1000 kit. I'm about 1/8th inch shorter that that, but it's close enough. :)

I didn't really simplify much, the Makerbot Makerware software does most of that. I did have to exaggerate the phaser banks and stuff like that, so that they would show up. The resolution isn't high enough for grid lines and stuff like that, though.

I am planning on taking requests, and I will eventually have some kits available. :) E-mail or PM me and we'll figure something out. :)

Hehe. :) I'll probably work up to something that big, but I was trying to avoid cutting the saucer up too much. That's really my limitation on size. 1/1000 is a pretty popular scale, though. :)

I don't know about selling this version of the Enterprise as a kit... I'll have to ask my partner Rick if that's OK, since I built it for him.

Well, the one in the background is the little Polar Lights model I was using as reference. :) This one is pretty simple... I've just glued the parts together flush. When I finish one, I'm using joint filler to fill in the gaps, and I'll sand them smooth.

More later guys... If the weather would warm up outside, I could start painting. :)

-Ricky

6. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

That looks fantastic! I might want to compare notes - I got one of those for my birthday in November, and the biggest question I have is one of scaling - I haven't been able to find documentation that states how I can set up a file so that if I want to print something exactly 1.5" long, for example, my measurement in the file (I design in Lightwave) needs to be a specific dimension (I discovered that I need to enlarge my LW files 40x in order to have them printed the size I want from Shapeways ;) ).

Congrats on the printer - are you using support material as your second 'color?' I just ordered a spool of HIPS that I hope will get here soon ;).

7. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

You

Lucky

Wonderful

Man!

I tried to get my insignia designed ship printed at shapeways, but couldn't reduce my dimensions enough to get it to the 1/2500 i wanted.

8. MadMan1701A

Awesome. :) I did a lot of reading in the Flashforge Google Group before I started doing any printing, and decided my best bet was to use Makerware, and the official Makerbot firmware on it. A lot of people are running custom firmware and stuff, but I didn't want to mess with any of that.

What I've been doing, when I build the object in Blender, is that I use one Blender Unit as an inch. When I import it into Makerware, it converts the units and scales it correctly. If you design it in Millimeters, Makerware fixes it automatically.

I've been just using the single extruder... I found that the second extruder can touch the print sometimes, and mess it up. I ended up putting in a shim to raise it up slightly.

HIPS dissolves in water, right? I wonder how long it has to sit for it to dissolve totally.

:) If you want to e-mail me the model, I'll see if it's possible. 1/2500 is pretty small, though.

-Ricky

9. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

Wouldn't it be cheaper to use the print as a master (sanded and smoothed), and make a mold from it? Then use the mold to make as many copies as you'd like?

10. MadMan1701A

Not sure... these things are only using about $1 worth of plastic, if that.

And, I wouldn't be able to say that the kits are custom 3D printed. :D

-Ricky

11. 3danim8d

3danim8d Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Awesome!!

12. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

Very, very cool! Great...another toy to add to the wish list. ;-)

13. 1701TPA

1701TPA Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Again Ricky... Awesome Job Partner :techman::techman::techman:
    ...and remember, John did promise me our Prime Alternative SFX Physical 350 scale will be completed before our 4 year Anniversary of the PA design project in May; and will have our Con Exhibition Base and our PA SFX Class-F Shuttle (12") will both be ready for Comic-Con San Diego this summer!!! :)

[​IMG]

PA Exhibition Con-Base with active video screen animations, above, also designed by Ricky "MadMan" Wallace and Rick Carthew

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

:lol:

15. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are the pieces hollow or solid?

16. 1701TPA

Hey check this out... someone just posted the complete deleted scenes of Marcus's Office; with the full pan of a TOS style connie, looking like a twelve foot model, hanging from his ceiling !!!:drool:
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnVWUce3FHQ

Check it out before its pulled down by JJ Paramount ... ; )

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I can see why they'd cut that. It would confuse quite a few people.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

That's not the 12 foot model (which is actually 11' 2" long, and is in the Smithsonian); it's a CGI model, and there are some detail differences and a different name.

19. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is awesome beyond awesome (on the topic of MadMan1701A's 3d printed Enterprise)

I think that's exactly, EXACTLY the way to do an old project of mine: The Starship in a Bottle.

So far, I have a bottle. :shrug:

20. 1701TPA

ahhhh... DAAAAHH!! < correction made >

now back to madmans awesome "3d printed prime alternative enterprise" model

>>> http://madshipyard.com/ThePrimeAlternative/ <<<

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014