If Doctor Who was an American show from the beginning

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by sttngfan1701d, Feb 14, 2014.

1. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

In the name of seriousness, I think the 1930's wood-paneled phone booth is a better idea for an American TARDIS. The port-o-potty is funny, but if it were a real show...you know that wouldn't be it.

2. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, STtNGFan. Without researching TOO deeply, I reasoned what would be the closest analog to a police box in the US of 1963. Since America did not employ police boxes by that time (though it supposedly developed them in the late 19th century), I figured the next best thing would have to be a commercial pay phone booth. But the brushed metal and glass with blue and/or red accents would look too state of the art. No, you'd want something that looked "old" in '63. Thus the all but phased out wooden boxes would "parallel" better with the equally "old" police boxes.

Tangently related, my town's regional hospital, despite being remodeled over the years retains a pair of wooden phone boxes in the main lounge area as a bit of nostalgia. Really! The pay phones were removed years ago since nearly everyone uses cells, but they still stand there with their folding doors. I think it's great idea. One can use them if they wish to keep their phone conversation a bit more private and avoid disturbing others.

Those antiquated booths kinda' gave me the idea.

Originally, I assumed those "vacu-formed/blow molded" portable toilets were invented in the 1970s or later. But the Wiki' article (which I know is NOT an infallible source of irrefutable information) states "the first US patent for a polyethylene plastic portable restroom was issued in the 1960s to George Harding, who was a co-founder of PolyJohn Corporation with Ed Cooper and George Hiskes." (It did not pinpoint an exact year, so they MIGHT have existed in late 1963.) But a phone booth is just a bit more classy.

Sincerely,

Bill

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

But as a prop--they are mass produced--easily blown up for some episodes and easily replaced. TARDIS props have been more of a bother.

4. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

What about some of the female companion like sarah jane and rose,what actress would played them from susan to clara?.

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Sarah Jane? Dawn Wells. Leela? Julie Newmar. Romana I? Lee Meriwether Romana II? Stephanie Powers.

6. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

There are a few posts above for that. I picked some actresses for the new series, like Hayden Panattiere for Rose, Jessica Lucas for Martha, we couldn't really pick a Donna though. Someone suggested Deborah Ann Woll for Amy and I like Mekenna Melvin for Clara.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Amy Poehler for Donna?

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll say Kathy Griffin for Donna, feisty/annoying/obnoxious personality, older, reddish hair. Not sure about the drama chops.

9. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

I think that as for lets say the modern Doctor, I would have to go with John Schneider as the Capaldi American ver..

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting, I can't say I see the connection. What about Capaldi suggests to you Schneider?

11. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

John is a great an diverse actor, who if placed in greater more visible roles, would really surprise anyone who took notice. On smallville, he was quite charming and stilted according to the flavor and atmosphere of the show.. but I have seen his comedic side, and he is quite funny at times too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPosqA-pVzE

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don't see him as the equivalent to John Hurt though.