Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I don't mind the animators taking some artistic license. After all, recreating the live action episodes exactly as they would have appeared is pretty much impossible. The live action actors have so many individual tics & subtleties to their performances that the animators just can't replicate. In lieu of that, I'd like for the animators to at least do the best job they can to make the episodes visually stimulating in their own way.

2. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He has his moments!

3. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Given a few days with no overblown claims or insufficiently vehement denials about the 90-episode guff, the missing episodes thread at Gallifrey Base has degenerated into another round of the perennial rumor-mongering about uberfans with secret missing episodes in their private collections, which they pass around amongst themselves, presumably while twirling their mustaches and giggling with maniacal glee. And, as ever, pointing out that this is extremely unlikely has brought about replies of "But it COULD be true" and "It sounds like something somebody might do!" This atmosphere of credulity is what leads unwary outsiders like Rich Johnston to their "scoops."

4. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

On the missing episode forum you get the odd person beginning a post with "well I heard that..." followed by the rumour of the day.

These people usually have less than a 50 post count.

5. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

^^Well, i heard that.:p:lol:

6. Brendan Moody

The latest "news" is that Frazer Hines said at London Film and Comic Con that someone unspecified had called him a few weeks ago saying that everything except "The Highlanders" had been found. Hines was excited at the time, but hasn't heard anything else and no longer believes it. On the other hand, an employee at Who Shop in London told another poster that he "knew for a fact" that episode 2 of "The Highlanders" had been found. Also, someone apparently started to ask a question about missing episodes at a Doctor Who event at London Film and Comic Con, but was cut off by the moderator.

...Another day, another encapsulation of what missing episode rumors and gossip are worth.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The possibility of missing episode discoveries was discussed at work a few days ago. One of my coworkers said that there seemed like an awful amount of smoke so there must be something to the rumors.

"No," I said, "it's just as likely that there's a lot of people blowing dust around in a circle, and you blow enough dust it'll look like smoke."

8. Rarewolf

^ All the event was is a Q&A with guests attending a signing there today. Which which in the case of Doctor Who would be Peter Purves, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, maybe Philip Hinchcliffe and Angela Bruce. It's not a Comic Con of American proportions.

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Fool me a few times, shame on you. Fool me a few dozen more times, shame on my gullibility.

I refuse to believe anything until its in my hands.

10. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Rumors that are not worth repeating . . . and should not be repeated. ;)

Mr Awe

11. Brendan Moody

Shouldn't be repeated as though they were worth anything, sure. But as entertainment? They're more fun than a lot of the episodes they're about sound to have been. ;)

12. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I try to talk to my coworkers about this. But my few fellow geek coworkers are just Trekkies, not Whovians. They can't understand the agonizing "what if"s of having so many lost episodes. Trekkies? Oh, there was a brief period in the 1980s when they couldn't find the original color negatives of the non-"Menagerie" footage from "The Cage." Oh, you poor babies!:p

13. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

:lol: damn you, just burst out laughing. thankfully no one was around to see that :)

14. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got some interesting developments on the rumours last week - promising, but nothing definite: nothing nearly certain enough to want to pass on. I suspect that's all we'll get until there's either something definite or... well, if there isn't anything, there's no denial that will end it, is there?

15. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I suppose you've got a point there, especially with the current lack of any news. However, I can see some people taking that in a, where there's smoke, there's fire sense.

Mr Awe

16. Brendan Moody

When all is said and done, I hope that whatever has happened (and I still wouldn't rule out there having been an actual rediscovery, even a substantial one, that has complicated denial of the more ridiculous rumors. I also wouldn't rule out it all being vapor), people who heard things that weren't true from "reliable sources" will reevaluate their notions of who's reliable and worth passing on without names attached. Assuming that someone can't have steered you wrong because you happen to like him or because she's a "big name fan" just underestimates the amount of rumor and poor judgment in a fandom that really wants to believe more episodes exist than probably do.

17. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

And you are saying this here because....................?

:)

18. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, I meant that until there's something that isn't a bit of a house of cards I'm going to go back to listening without posting on this, like for the first half o the year!

19. Rarewolf

I think if everything just existed we'd take if for granted. No forum meltdowns over a minor discovery, no cherishing 30 seconds of found footage. That everything exists on audio is amazing.

And I dare say being forced to enjoy some of it on audio, made some of us more receptive to Dr Who as an audio product.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also, some of the missing stories probably wouldn't be as well-regarded if they had never gone missing. Don't get me wrong, there are some top-notch stories among the missing, but they aren't all classics and there are a few of them fandom likely wouldn't pay that much attention to if they'd been available all this time.