Books simillar to Articles of the Federation and Singular Destiny

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Radioscott, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Radioscott

Radioscott Cadet Newbie

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. And I hope this isn't too far off topic, actually.

I'm getting caught up on Trek Literature and I'm about half way through A Singular Destiny. So far I'm enjoying it, and I absolutely loved Articles of the Federation. The idea of the West Wing meets Star Trek is right in my wheelhouse. I like the mix of political intrigue, humor, a touch of action, and diplomacy.

So, my question is in two parts. Are there any other Star Trek books similar to these two? And also, are there any other books in other genres (real world, fantasy, whatever) that are of a similar tone and quality?

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read them yet myself, but from what I've read about them online the first two Khan books, The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Kahn Noonien Singh, Volumes 1 & Volume 2 are pretty much modern conspiracy thrillers with some sci-fi elements.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would suggest the last three Typhon Pact novels. Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn by David R. George (be aware they can be tedious in their pacing) and Brinkmanship by Una McCormack.

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

All of which are worth reading, but there's nothing quite like Articles and Singular for political stories, more's the pity.

More please...

5. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

There's "A Time for War, A Time for Peace" by the same author. Articles is somewhat of a sequel to it. Been too long since we got a KRAD trek book. There's nothing else trek-wise I can think of that really captures that flavour.

6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

You might also want too check out the Robert Greenberger novel "The Romulan Strategem" (#35 in the TNG series) where a planet is determining whether too join the Federation or the Romulan Empire.

7. Radioscott

Radioscott Cadet Newbie

A belated thanks for all of the replies. I finally finished A Singular Destiny tonight. Really enjoyed it. I'm definitely going to keep going forward, so the Typhon Pact books are on my radar. And those Khan books sound interesting. I might have to track those down.

8. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I highly recommand some Bennet books:
    The Buried Age

Ex Machina

The Titan books have a lot of first contact situations and diplomacy.

The Art of the Impossible by Krad and also the first 3 Gorkon books.