They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by GalaxyX, Oct 21, 2013.

1. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even if it was only a cameo.

I know it wouldn't be easy to write it, but it would have been cool to see him on the big screen one more time, considering the guy probably doesn't have many years left with us :(

2. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Re: They really should have found a way to get Shatner on one of the m

I'm one of the few that actually wished that Nimoy would not show up in any of the new films, just because I want this new crew to stand on their own with no ties to the original cast. Naturally, I'm especially against a Shatner cameo.

3. GalaxyX

I think new audiences probably wouldn't care either way. But old timers would enjoy seeing a tie in from the old universe. Sort of like a nod to them.

Spock prime was totally unnecessary in the second film, but I thought he worked well in the first one.

Would have been interesting to have Shatner in the second movie as something. Maybe Kirk's grandfather? Heck I don't know? I would have appreciated it.

4. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

The movies are already riddled with nods and call backs to the original shows and films, I think it's best to just move on. I suppose I'm just immune to fan pandering after the last two Star Wars prequels had George trying to appease to older fans by throwing in a bunch of pointless references "Hey look, it's Chewbaca, you remember Chewbaca, right? In those better films? Weren't they great? Isn't this film great?".

5. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

start ST3 with the end of The Deadly Years. Shatner in the chair fending off the Romulans with the corbomite device and Nimoy on the viewer at the science station. Audiences would wonder what the hell is going on (but obviously be loving it), before Urban shows up with the cure and they deage back to Pine/Quinto

6. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As someone who never really watched TOS, I thought Nimoy's appearances in both movies was completely appropriate. I could barely remember who Khan was while watching Into Darkness, until Nimoy popped in. I want these movies to respect the very cool altered timeline premise, rather than ignore it.

I trust that if they wanted to put Shatner in there it would be for a good reason, like they have done so far.

7. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

No.

8. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

The Chewbacca stuff didn't cause the problems with the Star Wars prequel. Actually I thought it was good. It gave us background on Chewbacca.

All this complaining about the directors 'pandering' to the fans.
    Who cares? As someone else said the non-fans don't realise so it doesn't hurt them. The ;) 'true' fans get a thrill. What's wrong with that? :lol:

Bring Shatner on. Have a cameo by Sisko's grandfather or Riker's great great uncle. Star Trek is not that precious. We had Worf's father/grandfather or something in ST6. Did people cry about it all day and declare the movie ruined?

Did people hate NEM because Janeway made a cameo?

OK I did hate the last episode of ENT because Troi and Riker were in it, well not just because of that :)

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well of course they can still get Shatner to appear in the next film if they wanted to (as an older version of this Kirk). As for Nimoy's cameo in STID I think the film didn't really need it. They had passed the torch in Star Trek (2009)

10. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

the torch can never really be passed as Shatner and Nimoy ARE star trek. theres no leaving original trek behind. theyve tried to pass the torch a few times and the torch ends up being passed back again

11. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

And when Shatner and Nimoy are no longer among us, Star Trek would be no more?

12. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)

Have Shatner do a Harcourt Fenton Mudd camo in JJ-Trek III.

He's certainly heavy enough and would probably pull it off with quite a bit of finesse.

:hugegrin:

13. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually think that would be awesome.

14. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, you know, it didn't help or anything. :lol:

"Jean Luc. How would you like a trip to Romulous? ..." - Janeway

"...IN A TORPEDO!" - SF Debris (As Crazy Janeway)

As much as I love Shatner. I'd prefer they keep the cameo's out now. I really want to echo what others have said. This is still a fresh cast with a lot of energy. Let them stand proudly with a good, solid and original script free of pandering and cameos. They have all the right elements to make that happen.

15. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

By the time we get to that point...

There won't be anybody left TO DO cameos.

:p

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

But how many curtain calls does he need? He's already taken his final bows twice--in TUC and Generations. That's probably enough.

17. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

That's why having the Shat playing Mudd would be perfect...

Just another actor playing an already established Trek character in the JJ-verse, but with a bit of a surprise/kick to it.

:)

18. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dont think having little cameos means they aren't standing on their own. Rather it's taking full advantage of the alternate universe setup in the first one, which allows them to do this in a non-ridiculous way. Plus Nimoy is barely in Into Darkness - they totally stood on their own.

19. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except for Khan and the inverted TWOK sequences. Sure.

Honestly the best bit of the film to me was when they were doing the Star Trek thing on Niburu, and that was an entirely new alien species, and visually compelling sequence. I liked everything except for Enterprise being underwater, but that was a minor thing. The sequence as a whole is very well done, paced nicely, has a solid conflict going on for the characters. If they would do more of that, and less of the reflection, inversion, call backs, and cameos i'd be a very happy Trekker. That scene showed me that they could bring back the old Trek vibe of TOS without actually doing something specifically from a previous episode of Trek.

20. GalaxyX

I kind of agree with this.

Personally I know it's highly unlikely Shatner will show up in any form on nuTrek. I think it was a missed opportunity that they should have used in the first movie.

Doing Khan again was a bit of a rehash, but hopefully now the new movies can move on their own without rehashing old TOS.