3D TOS Shuttlecraft...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Slow and steady progress.

[​IMG]

I set myself a goal of trying to get a little something done each evening. This evening was the rim between the lower and upper hulls and the stabilizer wings.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Okay folks, here's a little something. I finished up the sides and stabilizers and got started on the centre section with the bottom. Next I have to complete the bow where the upper sides meet the leading edge.

[​IMG]

What you're seeing is deceptive. I'm actually working on only one half of the model, but I mirror it and put the two sides together to show where things stand overall. This will work until I have to start adding asymmetrical details to the ship including markings.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  3. Horizon

Horizon Commander Red Shirt

Looking good. Using TrueSpace I could never get my curves to render that smoothly, so I'm suitably impressed.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Seeing this take form from scratch one can quickly appreciate that this design is far from being a simple boxy shape. Actually it's quite impressive that they built such a thing as a full-size mock-up and it differed very little from what I'm making here. It's certainly far more complex than anything similar TNG ever did in terms of shuttlecraft mock-ups.

5. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Nice. I'm enjoying this so far.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Thanks. I was spurred somewhat to get going on this after the recent announcement R2 is presently developing a 1/32 scale kit of the TOS shuttlecraft. I put a lot of thought and work into reconciling the differences between the full-size mock-up, the "flying" miniature and the interior set into one integrated "real world" vehicle so I'm quite curious as to what Gary Kerr comes up with in drawing up the model R2 will eventually produce.

For those who might not know Gary Kerr is greatly responsible for the fantastically detailed 1/350 scale TOS Enterprise being released very soon.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This stupid little corner took a good deal of time to finish. I'm glad to be done with it. Now I'm going to move on to the forward sloping hull and roof.

[​IMG]

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This is still just the raw model and not yet rendered, but here is some substantial progress. The main hull and stabilizers are done. Now it's some hull detailing before moving on to the nacelles and supports pylons.

[​IMG]

9. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is looking great. :techman:

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I actually quite like this design and always have. It manages to look interesting and somewhat utilitarian at the same time. It's certainly not just a simple box. It's also interesting that what we see here is pretty much the full-size mock-up with but only a few tweaks: the underside detail of the miniature is added, a little lifting of the nose, the roof isn't quite as flat and is a bit more curved (for more interior space), the stabilizer/rim at midsection is tidied up and the front of the hull bottom is matched to the curvature of the leading edge of the bow.

Amazing they built such a complex full-size prop on a television budget.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A few more hull details.

[​IMG]

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A small detail. Rather than just trying to paint an access panel onto the lower hull I've tried to actually make one with a very small seam around between the coloured panel and the hull. The natural shadow in the small recess should make a more convincing outline even if it is small and probably never noticed. In reality the seam would probably be even smaller, but at this scale I think the effect lets me get away with this. I'd like to do the main access hatch in a similar way.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Aft engines and support pylons.

[​IMG]

Today I'll be tackling the nacelles of which all of it can be mirrored except for the registry numbers. Then the last symmetrical piece will be the aft landing strut assembly, which I might or might not get to today because I'll be going to visit my dad recovering from bypass surgery in the hospital.

When all the symmetrical stuff is done then I'll mirror it all and move on to asymmetrical detailing. For colour I'm going with a very light grey above as well as the rim/stabilizers and support pylons and a moderately darker shade underneath and on the nacelles.

There are some very minor things I'm not really happy with on this, but overall though I'm rather satisfied with how this is corking out.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  14. Bernard Guignard

Looks great to me:) Looking forward to seeing the final results :techman::techman::techman::techman::techman:

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Inching my way forward.

[​IMG]

16. Bernard Guignard

Call me very impressed I've haven't even successfully created a sphere in Sketchup and I work with a 3d cad program at work every day :) :techman::techman::techman::techman: :techman:

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A few early renders for a different feel to the design. Also looks a bit closer to what this might look like in styrene grey. :)

[​IMG]

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'll soon start working on finishing the nacelles and then on to all the asymmetrical detailing.

[​IMG]

19. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I swear your model rivals some of the ones I've seen sculpted in "high end" suites like LightWave or 3D Studio Max. Of course, you've researched this craft for years, taking into account the variations between the exterior mock-up, the interior cabin set and the miniature.

I have a suspicion this is your favorite craft from the entire franchise.

Sincerely,

Bill

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

:lol: No (my favourite is the TOS E), but I've long felt the TOS shuttlecraft has gotten little recognition and often dismissed as a simple boxy "butter dish" shape when it most certainly isn't.