Early "Inception" Reviews

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Caliburn24, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Some people are saying this but it seems to be those who haven't seen its take. In 5 days its made $70m on a $150m budget, it'll be over $100m by next Monday. Hardly a dud. It seems the only signs people see are the bad reviews that aren't actually stopping moviegoers from attending.

I'll be curious to see how Inception does. I can't say I'm eager to rush out to it though. Nolan hasn't had a huge commerical hit that didn't have the protaganist in a cowl. Outside of Titanic, Leo hasn't had a $200m hit. This movie will either be a perfect storm that ignores those trends or it follows suit. I'm leaning on the latter.

2. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Those are very encouraging reviews. I am officially stoked. :techman:

But I must admit--all this talk of 'devilish complexity' makes me fear for this film's commercial success.

Who releases a devilishly complex movie in the summer?

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome people, clearly.

Though really I'd like to think that if anything that's a needed corrective to the summer lineup. Nolan is very good at making smart fun - Memento could have been a dry puzzle, but it isn't. If anyone could pull off that sort of idea, it'd probably be him.

That's fair enough. But M. Night Shyalaman isn't exactly a review-proof director, unlike the Transformers and Twilight franchises... but then again, maybe the cartoon franchise his film is part of has similar legs. I'd hardly know.

4. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm extremely looking forward to Inception. In my opinion Chris Nolan hasn't made a bad movie yet, and furthermore -- and this is what's really exciting -- is that he keeps on getting better and better.

I'm not that worried about the box office of Inception, not that is really matters anyway. Even if this movie bombs -- which I highly doubt it will -- Nolan is still pretty much locked as director for Batman 3 given the monumental success of The Dark Knight. The only thing that will be detrimental is to WB, obviously, who invested in the film, and Nolan, who might have to make smaller movies if Inception doesn't do well, but hell, I don't think that would be much of a problem either, as Nolan's smaller movies are usually his most interesting.

Inception looks like it might be the ultimate Chris Nolan movie -- packing the intelligence and plot experimentation/sophistication of his earlier movies like Memento and The Prestige with the big-budget awesomeness of the Batman movies. My hope is that if Inception does well, Nolan will truly be given cart blanche and we'll start seeing even more intellectual blockbusters. After an abysmal summer, we definitely need them.

I don't see Toy Story 3, The Last Airbender or Twilight as threats. Toy Story 3 has been out for a while and while it'll still do progressively big business, the "awe" factor has been diminished since it's been out for a while. The Last Airbender received some truly horrendous reviews, and even worse -- a fan backlash -- so I think it'll dip poorly next weekend. Twilight is also showing signs of weakening as a franchise since it didn't open to expectations, and I see that movie fading relatively quickly to make way for new blockbusters, like Inception.

It'll be tough to see whether or not Inception will be a true box office smash, but with these immeasurably incredible reviews mounting up, and the fact that this is the director of the third highest grossing film of all time, I don't think we have to worry about the prospects of Inception. At all.

5. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

Siiiiigh, it's gonna be a long gonna be a long 10 days.

6. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

I think Inception will do perhaps 200 million domestic. But as others have said the box office on this film does not matter. It is not looking to set up a franchise. And with the overwhelmingly positive reviews coming in it appears that it will not hurt Nolan's reputation in any way. WB will still give him the next Batman and the creative control he wants.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It definitely reminds me of "The Dark Knight" just stick Batman in the movie and have Leo be revealed as the Mad Hatter.

-The Asian monastery
    -Giant action piece with a run away vehicle(Train this time)
    -The colors
    -The way characters move around their surrounding.

"I am impressed"

That scene at the end of the Tv spot with a guy firing a gun into the air.

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank gort. We need another decent movie this summer. Pixar can't do it all.

9. Samurai8472

Pixar's version of "Inception"?

You've got a friend in my head.

10. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT. I am shocked at how slim the selection is this summer. Three movies to choose from? :cardie: And I will never be desperate enough to sit through another Twilight movie. The 45 minutes I wasted with the first one was enough for me. Something had to come along and save me from their latest pile of cinematic sick.

11. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

It was the trailers that had me worried. :lol:

12. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I won passes to a screening last night. I didn't have any idea what to expect going in. What little I knew is that the guy from Titanic was in a movie about worlds that move.

Turns out, that was just a wee bit off.

The movie takes place in a time when, through technology, people are able to enter others' dreams, and in a way, influence them. Corporations use them to spy on other corporations, ordinary people use them to escape from their dull lives. But, as with an onion, there are layers. And what may take a moment in the living world may be decades in the dream worlds.

Leo plays a man who has secrets. He is one of the people who enter others' dreams, trying to find out the deepest darkest secrets of these people, while holding a secret of his own that could destroy the lives of everyone around him.

The script was VERY well written. The fx were brilliant, almost everything was enjoyable.

The one minor complaint I have is that the director doesn't seem to be able to escape from Batman. Several of the main cast, and a LOT of the minor characters (extras, background peeps) had appeared in one or both of his Batman movies.

One final thing ... I only remember seeing Ellen Page in Juno and the overplayed technology commercials. I was expecting her to be an obnoxious character, since that's what I'm used to. Surprisingly, the girl can act. Who knew?

13. Samurai8472

With Micheal Caine involved I keep thinking of this movie as a elaborate heist movie(and it someways it is)

"You were only suppose to blow his bloody brains out!"

I love the clip "You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling" BOOM

I too agree that there are alot of leftover things from Nolan's previous movie.

It amazes me that for the past 5 years its been nothing but

-Batman Movie
    -Other project(The prestige)
    -Batman Movie
    -Other project(Inception)
    -Batman Movie (April 2011 start shooting)

I'll understand if Nolan stops directing Batman after the third one. It's basically consumed his life

14. Samurai8472