Spoilers Destiny: Mere Mortals by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Julio Angel Ortiz, Oct 24, 2008.

?

Grade "Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals"

1. Excellent

107 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. Above Average

15 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Poor

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals - SPOILER Thread

Again, a very enjoyable entry. Some thoughts:

It was a shame to see what happened to the Columbia officers that were stranded with Captain Hernandez. We sure are lucky it was her who toughed it out instead of one of the other officers though...I guess Captains are made of sterner stuff!

I was very interested in the other 'destinations' from the subspace tunnels. I was also thinking (as some have stated above) that that would be a good mission for Voyager. Not sure how/if that will play out now though.

I would have liked to have seen some of the battle with the Allies against the Borg ships. Did the Borg truly 'ram' them...simply plowing through the bulk of the fleet without firing a shot? Yikes.

I also very much enjoyed the parts where the Hirogen invaded both the Enterprise and Aventine. Some very descriptive and intense passages there. I particularly liked the crew woman who was Takaran (I think) and had no truly 'vital' organs. Is the Hirogen 'energy dampening' technology a holdover from Voyager? I don't remember it there.

Another great spot to end a volume of this trilogy. I got a very BoBW feeling from Riker at the end. I could even hear the music. I'm also wondering what it was Dr. Ree was doing to Troi...I hope it's not as disgusting as I'm thinking it might be.

2. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What happened to them?

3. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How long did it take you to read all three novels?

4. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ I honestly don't remember. I read pretty fast, and I think I read each within a 24-hour period.

5. JeremyW

JeremyW Commander Red Shirt

Okay...I JUST FINISHED....and I have two words: HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

WOW! There's going to be another one of my reviews, and yes, I plan on giving the book the same treatment I gave Gods of Night. But, simply put.... not only has Dave's writing matured, like I mentioned in the last review, but he kept his trademarks alive and well in this book..... I have smiles all over my face.

Just a few points: (YES, SPOILERS BEWARE!!!!!!)

1. Loved seeing Garak again. Interesting that there's a female castellan in charge of Cardassia now. I guess something to look forward to in the years ahead in DS9 literature.

2. Seven's endgame solution that got scoffed.... did NOT see that one coming, but in the sense of the situation, it made the most sense. I liked how all those in the halls of power scoffed at the idea of using it, but in the end, Seven was RIGHT.

3. What a great cliffhanger!!!! And, I say that on several fronts.... Troi/Ree, Riker,Hernandez and Titan, Picard and Ezri..... Lost Souls is going to be fantastic.

For those who moan excessively still about the Borg.... I want you all to consider something: Dave Mack's done something in his narrative that I cannot remember reading since I read The Lord Of The Rings, and he pulled it off very well. In The Lord Of The Rings, the whole story is centered on The War of the Ring and the Dark Lord Sauron, and the impending evil that broods behind Mordor, waiting to be unleashed. However, we barely see Sauron in the book or in the movie, yet his presence is always there. Dave's done the same with the Borg. You know they're there, and you know they're coming, but it doesn't consist of every scene dealing with the Borg. We saw politics, character dramas, freakin' Hirogen (tres cool), and for me, the gem of the story was the ongoing story with Hernandez and the role that story plays in the overall narrative. In short: AMAZING!!!!!

Like I said, review's forthcoming, but I just couldn't contain my excitement. Dave, great job. AGAIN!

6. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Mere Mortals is available for the Sony Reader
    http://ebookstore.sony.com/product/400/000/000/000/000/097/174/400000000000000097174.html

It's also available in Mobipocket format at Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, & Cyberread.
    http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook75426.htm?cache
    http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=viewbook&BOOK=335062
    https://www.cyberread.com/Star-Trek-Destiny-Mere-Mortals/David-Mack/?info/78056/

Cyberread is having a 1/2 price sale using the code THKU08 which drops the price down to $3.50.

7. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

I just wish one of the importers would release it in the UK already - and not charge between ten and twenty pounds for it.

8. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

If you were to purchase it as an eBook and read it on your computer, you could have it today for less then £10.

9. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

ebooks just aren't my thing. I like the feel of having the book in my hand and being able to see them all on the shelf. But that's another discussion.

10. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

I was about the same - except the final volume, where I took the phone off the hook and sat for five hours straight beginning to end!

Paul

11. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

This is also some thing that J.K. Rowling did well in Harry Potter with Voldermort. I give Mack all the credit for making this about the characters of Star Trek and not the villain. He has given depth to some people I never thought we would see. Great work!

12. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Thanks! Much appreciated.

13. Aranamac

Aranamac Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Here's a question for David Mack:

Were you influenced at all by the movie The Fountain in writing Hernandez's story? Not only does she name a new-found planet (star?) Xibalba, but Iynx speaks about death as a disease, using language very similar to words spoken by Hugh Jackman. Both stories also deal with different aspects of immortality. Or is this just a case where both your story and The Fountain's story just happen to be sharing similar themes? Certainly, the Mayan afterlife, curing death, and immortality aren't exclusive to The Fountain... but the similarities did catch my attention.

Also, I think this may be the first Trek story to reference masturbation, when Fletcher is needing a good shag, Hernandez mentions something like "going into your room and being your own best friend" or such like that. I was wondering how four humans in isolation would deal with their relationships. Libido is certainly a powerful drive in the human experience, and it was good to see that addressed in this situation.

In any case, excellent writing. It's kind of sad that Trek novels are relegated to a small shelf space in the back while other properties get greater exposure, especially since the writing has been so top-notch lately! Reading a Trek novel isn't just reading another media tie-in. There are times when I know I'm reading quality writing and very thoughtful and imaginative science-fiction. Destiny is capturing one of the core parts of Trek—and indeed of literature in general—where the most epic journeys are the interior human ones.

14. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if it is Natima Lang.

15. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

My totally unsubstantiated guess is Iliana Ghemor. But I'm not sure which one.

16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as the Castellan screams at some point, "No, not the Mind Probe!" I'm not sure that it really matters. ;)

17. ScottDS

ScottDS Captain Captain

I sort of smiled at the masturbation/"shag" references myself. Not something one reads in just any Trek novel. :)

But I do have to say, after reading from the lower half of page 180 through the upper half of page 185, my first thought was, "If Ingmar Bergman made a Trek movie, it would be like this."

18. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

I have to say, as a recovering film major, I take that as a compliment. :)

There was some influence, but it's not what you might think.

I didn't see the movie The Fountain (or read the graphic novel) until after I had finished writing and editing the Destiny trilogy. I had seen the trailers for the film (which include the signature line about death being a disease).

For me, however, the real influence was the soundtrack to the film, composed by Clint Mansell and performed by Kronos Quartet. It is, put simply, the most heartbreaking music I have ever heard in my life. It ranks right up there with Yo-Yo Ma's final track on the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon score in the list of music that can reduce me to tears on its own merits.

I first heard it in 2006, around the time that I had been approached to write the trilogy. And as Marco can probably confirm, one of the things that I said to him around that time was, "I want to write a novel that feels like this sounds."

Most of the sequences involving the Caeliar in the trilogy can probably be better understood if you listen to that soundtrack while reading the relevant chapters in Mere Mortals.

Also, one of the tracks on the CD is titled "Xibalba." I Googled it and was intrigued by the meaning of the name, hence its inclusion in the story. And the imagery of the pool with the tree in Axion was inspired by this image from the movie:

http://www.infinitydog.com/photos/fountain_tree_gal.jpg

I'm glad that it worked for you. I wasn't sure that would make it past licensing, but I'm happy that it did.

Thanks so much — it's very kind of you to say so, and it's always nice to hear.

I hope that Lost Souls continues to live up to the expectations set by the first two books of the trilogy.

19. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

20. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I hope so.