21st Century System ship

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by All Seeing Eye, Feb 15, 2008.

1. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

I decided not the let my lack of computer software deter me from putting my design idea down on paper so to speak so just went ahead and did with paint. So here it is, my design for a 21st century ship used to travel within a star system.

The Laser system and missile system are not battle offensive weapons but are instead used for pushing asteroids out of harms way.

The ship is nuclear powered but the thrusters are powered with liquid fuel, the ring shaped buzzard ramscoop is used for collecting any hydrogen etc along the way to slow down the speed of fuel depletion.
    [​IMG]

Thoughts? comments?

2. Kirkunit

Kirkunit Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm going to apologize in advance, but if you were a girl, I'd suggest getting a boyfriend. (And maybe removing the "cockpit" annotation.) ;)

I do see where you're going with this, though. Obviously, this is a primitive arrangement of the technology we're used to seeing. Question: if the ramscoops are in the rear, how are they supposed to scoop anything?

3. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

The ramscoop is on the 'side' of the vehicle and is raised from the hull section, the scooped gases are then processed and used in the thrusters, I forgot to show it on the front view (oops) and I assure you, this ship design has no connection to a dildo. ;)

4. Kirkunit

^ Hmm. That's not very apparent in your drawings. When I look at your front view, I don't see any protruding geometry to suggest forward-facing scoop features. Maybe the drawings aren't high enough resolution to see the details...

5. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

6. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad you said that... I was having a really difficult time holding back. ;)

Actually, the general idea of a cylindrical space vessel is entirely sound (though there's no advantage I can see to the slight "taper" which is present.

There's a lot more to consider re: this concept.

(1) Is this ship planetfall-capable or purely space-borne?

(2) What hardware do you NEED for it to do the job it's doing? (this seems to have been considered, but might justify some additional consideration, too).

(3) How is it going to be built?

(4) What's the purpose for things being where they are, and attached how they are?

I think this could bear some further "refinement" but overall it's a good starting point. But like was mentioned above, it might be a good idea to remove the overtly "phallic" appearance... otherwise, it's going to draw a lot more chuckles... :D

7. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

the shape of the vessel is the most important aspect of it so I couldnt possibly change it ;). Anyway, i'm hoping to soon buy some proper 3d rendering software so will hopefully make a proper 3d model of it.

8. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very Freudian.

9. Kirkunit

Obviously, it's your design & you can do what you want. But take some advice from a professional industrial designer: don't become so enamored with your design that you can't change it. Every poster here has said the same thing about the shape. We can't all be wrong...

10. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Dude.. it's a dildo, completely with 'dial speed' control. Why is this shape so important? It's definitely not a lander, nor is it a one-use rocket... so...

11. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

And thus, the cold war came to an end.

12. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Poor Fire; I bet you didn't expect this thread to turn into an Austin Powers routine. :)

13. ThomastheCat

ThomastheCat Captain Captain

I feel your pain, Fire... Having done a lot of art for the Honor Harrington Universe I've heard my fair share of "OMG PENIS SHIP!!!1!!"

Anyway, I'm a fan of minimal "form follows function" designs which seems to be the vibe you're going for. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing more.

14. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I designed something for my (now prior) job... a big fuel booster pump for the Airbus A-380. It was massive, long and cylindrical... and one of my peers nicknamed it the "penis pump" (a name I wasn't all that happy with!).

But this one... if it were only chrome-plated, I KNOW my last girlfriend had that very model! ;) It's impossible for me to take it seriously as a result.

15. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Well before the space shuttle, all space faring vessels were rather phalic in appearence. I recall at one time, the United States and Russia were in competition to be the first one to put a penis on the moon. :rolleyes:

16. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I am sorry for what I am about to post. I can't resist. But before I go on, I will say that I actually do appreciate the simplicity of the ships design. Perhaps a little re-tooling with your scoop idea. Maybe add some identifying symbols, and tell us what your ship is about. Oh- and an internal deck side elevation! That'd be nice too.

Again. I am sorry.

It came out of it's hanger. Slowly at first.

It raised it's head towards the sky. Looking upwards. Eagerly anticipating launch.

It wanted to go. Now. Quickly. But launch control held it back a little longer. The count down proceeding without delay.

It wanted to go SO BADLY! It wanted to release from the ground and pierce its way through the heavens.

FINALLY. It start slowing at first. Trembling. Harder. Faster. Faster. FASTER. UNTIL REACHING THE CLIMAX OF ITS JOURNEY!!!!

Then it turned over and went to sleep.

17. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would suggest your ship needs additional fuel tanks.

Logically, I would suggest that you add two spherical tanks near the base of the vehicle.

Perhaps someone here could illustrate this for me.

18. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

I get a good vibe from this ship.

19. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

And I can't wait to see how it comes along.

20. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

My friend liked your design, and decided to use use it in a project to see if it worked out.

She said it, indeed, worked out - but she worked it back in again!