Will I like Comic-Con?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain_Koloth, May 20, 2015.

1. Captain_Koloth

Captain_Koloth Commander Red Shirt

I’m going to be in the area for the San Diego Comic-Con this summer. I’ve been thinking of going but don’t know much of it I’d be interested in. I don’t have much interest in comics in and of themselves, I was kind of expecting a bunch of interesting vendors that might have Star Trek books or autographs or other merchandise and stuff, is this true? Basically I’m trying to figure out how much time I might want to budget for it. I’m sure it’s awesome and everything but just for the purposes of this question, consider it from the perspective of someone who primarily likes Star Trek and doesn’t have much comics interest (neither is entirely the case for me but just to get a first-order idea).

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

It's called Comic-Con, but, from what I understand it's really SciFi Con, so, you have all manner of SciFi being represented

3. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^What he said. I even went to Comic Con in a Trek outfit once (I was lazy that year). I'm sure you'll find Star Trek merchandise there, the hard to find stuff too. Prices will range. One vendor may sell a Trek comic or novel for a few bucks while another will sell a bat'leth or a full sized mannequin or other wild items that you didn't even know existed until you saw it for hundreds.

4. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

You'll find tons o' stuff at a ComicCon...

-Naturally, lots of comic book stuff. Books, artists, writers, etc.
    -Lots of sci fi materials, merch, and actors.
    -Video game stuff.
    -RPG stuff and Collectible Card stuff. Gaming sessions as well.
    -Perhaps representation from the local (or closest) chapter of the 501st (Vader's Fist) fan club. The folks who dress up in elaborate Vader, stormtrooper, Imperial, Rebel, and Jedi gear.
    -Cosplayers (sometimes galore, sometimes not so much).
    -And of course, folk to chat with about your favorite passions in sci-fi/fantasy/comics, etc.

The last ComicCon I went to, there was a wall display of various sci-fi weapon replicas, from the double laser pistol in The Black Hole, to Han Solo's DL-44, to the Weirding Module from David Lynch's version of Dune.

Plenty of Star Trek and Star Wars related merch too....from old action figures and ships, to newer models.

Oh, and also, you'll find tons of movies on ripped DVD's. (Not near the quality of retail/commercially available stuff....) but it is a great place to find rare, hard to find sci-fi shows, movies, anime, Japanese live action shows, etc.

Yes, I think you'll find ComicCon a worthwhile experience. I usually go with at least 300-400 bucks just in case. But it really just depends on what you want to come away with. :)

5. Captain_Koloth

I've come to a couple of Vegas ST conventions, how much stuff is there in the vendors room compared to one of those? At least stuff that relates to the more Star Trek/Star Wars sort of mainstream sci-fi non-comics stuff I've been mentioning.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's the biggest nerd event in the world. Go. Have fun.

7. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

A Star Trek or Sci-fi convention would probably have more Sci-fi stuff than Comic Con but they're all in the same ballpark.

8. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

are there even any tickets for SDCC left?

9. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's what I was thinking -- San Diego Comicon isn't a spur-of-the-moment kind of convention. I can't imagine that tickets would still be available this close to the actual event.

In my area, even smaller (relatively speaking) shows like the Motorcity Con or Wizard World Chicago have sold out days and sometimes entire weekends.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

There's usually a set number of walk in purchasable tickets but you'd have to get up pretty early (or stay there overnight) and wait in line for them.

11. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From http://www.comic-con.org/cci/purchase-badges

12. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

The motor city con didn't sell out this year or the last few. I think they have actually upped attendance and are selling more tickets. It was so crowded this year I could barely walk. Most people weren't even looking at the comics. More for me I guess.

13. Captain_Koloth

So is there at this point any way to get tickets? Ebay, extra ones at the door, panhandling?

14. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

There may be scalper tickets available but they'll be very expensive and, of course, that sort of proposition is risky. Thing is, though there's a LOT to do off-site that doesn't need a badge. SDCC outgrew the convention center years ago.

Given your stated interest, though, it may not be worth it for you if you can't get into the dealer's room AND maybe not even then. Comic-Con is very much about what's new and about exclusivecollectables as well as seeing the new and upcoming movie and series. Lots of great panels but I haven't notices a lot of Trek focus (but I wasn't looking).

Do some searches for offsite events and see if it might be interesting for you. Hotel rooms and parking are at a premium, too so be sure to have someplace to stay before you get there.

Not meaning to be a downer but as stated above, Comic-Con's not a casual decision to drop in anymore. But it's a great place to frolic with 130,000 of your closest friends.

Jan

15. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Crazy Lengths People Go To For San Diego Comic Con

[​IMG]

edit: Exactly, Captain_Koloth what was your plan..? :D

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  16. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

All those people make me anxious. I like the look of Star Wars celebration better. You actually have elbow room.

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The only way I've gotten in the last two times I went was with someone else using their industry ties to walk me through. I've never managed a chance to buy a badge since the con went mainstream.

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

you basically have 30 seconds on the phone from the time they go on dale (a year before the event) to get your tickets.

If you dont get them at that time, you likely won't get them unless you work in the film industry, film punditry, or you pay through the nose.

I think it's reprehensible. Plus San Diego hasn't built any new facilities or hotels to accommodate the growing size of this convention.

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I went once a few years ago and it's way too crowded for my tastes. You can either wander the convention center unable to breathe with the crowd pushing in all around you or you can wait in line for six hours just to be able to get a seat six hours before the event that you want to see begins. And don't even think about getting up to use the bathroom.

Conventions are fun, but I recommend avoiding the huge ones.

20. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like a great convention.:)