PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by aalenfae, May 21, 2014.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Made from???

2. aalenfae

aalenfae Commander Red Shirt

It's kind of a medium-heavy cotton fabric.
    Though the material might change from the prototype to the final design.

3. Maurice

As it adapted from an existing piece of clothing?

4. aalenfae

I considered modifying existing clothing, but this is made from a pattern.

5. aalenfae

A new concept prop for the communicator. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I liked the shape and size of the outside on the last one better and the inside of this one better. So if you put the insides of this one, into the last one I think you would have a winner. Thats just my opinion.

7. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Very analog, baby!

8. Maurice

I prefer this one. The other one looks too much like a 2004 flip phone. It takes you a second to realize this is a camera. You'll need to hide the viewfinder better, tho, and what about the flip side?

9. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

I like the D-rings I would also add one at the waist level

10. aalenfae

Yeah, I'm planning on filling in the viewfinder somehow. And the reverse side is a bit of a problem, but I'm probably going to add a belt clip there, which will cover up most of the camera-ish details.

Great minds think alike, haha ;D
    I was thinking of adding matching d-rings on either side of the waist as well. But we'll see. They might end up looking a little distracting.

11. Maurice

You might also paint silver the toothed wheel so it kinda evokes the wheel on a Phaser 1.

Why are there 1 and 2 labels for 3 buttons? ;)

12. aalenfae

Good idea! Shouldn't be too hard - the whole thing comes apart with just a few screws.

Annnnnnd don't ask, haha. I put the labels on only to later realize how silly it was, but chalk it up to "we don't know how it works," haha.

Something new for y'all - a concept set study for a transporter room aboard the Pacific.
    [​IMG]

13. Borgminister

Tight quarters... markings on the pipes take me back to walking paths through hilly woodlands where trees would bear color strips or dots etc....

14. aalenfae

Yep, get used to tight quarters in this feature! There's not much living space on the Pacific, and the utility of every square inch is maximized.

15. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still, with space being a premium.... if there's a landing party on the planet, being able to only send them up one at a time would take forever if there's 4 or 5 people on the planet.
    Even runabouts in the 24th century could transport two people at once, and that was one a runabout. Perhaps a two person pad?

16. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

Great minds think alike, haha ;D
    I was thinking of adding matching d-rings on either side of the waist as well. But we'll see. They might end up looking a little distracting.[/QUOTE]

use a squared one and go horizontal 2 inches above the hem line (or waist line if this is a jump suit) =O= so long as the prop is not too heay it should hold. the D ring idea is a nice nod to the harness in the cage.

You could squeeze two on that pad

aalenfae- are you coming to Shoreleave this weekend

17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

in a Kirk/Gillian-like embrace, sure.

Love the design though!

18. aalenfae

The idea behind this was to make transporters seem like a clunky, advanced, experimental technology.
    I really didn't like the fact that ENT used transporters at all - even if they pretended like they should avoid using it. So in Pacific 201, you'll see that at times, I retcon some of the technological advances of ENT.

The transporter here is used only to get somebody into a location that would be impossible for a shuttle. And concerning beaming up/down multiple people, you could beam down an entire team individually, but materialize them all at once. Or beam UP everybody at the same time, and materialize them on the pad one at a time. I just wanted to make the transporter a really limited technology, so it can't be a catch-all plot device. Even if it only appears in a limited fashion in this feature.

Yeah, it's a jumpsuit. And that does sound like a good idea. I'll see how it looks.

And concerning Shoreleave, I wasn't planning on going. Finances are tight this summer.

19. aalenfae

Finally a picture of the costume on a person!
    Some details are missing, and I'm still waiting on some shoulder patches. But this should give you a pretty good idea of the final costumes.

The belt-sash thing is the shoulder strap to my tricorder prop. However, the tricorder got cut out of the frame due to some unsightly background elements that I didn't feel like painting out.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  20. Borgminister

Top notch as usual overall, but the belt looks a bit discombobulated.