Farscape Question

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trubinator, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

It's good too, that the writers managed to simultaneously not forget about it, but not let it dominate the story by incessantly calling back on it. It just managed to hang there, unspoken, like a pall, only occasionally mentioned, as a true tragedy should be.

2. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just wish they'd rerelease this series in some new Season Boxsets that are affordable.

I would LOVE to own the series, but I really don't feel like spending 10,000 dollars trying to get the previous releases.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed, with the sentiments about Dog with Two Bones, but it wasn't as good as the two parter that came before it. Into the Lions Den was some of the best work Farscape has ever done, both in an action sense and emotional drama. Talyn's demise might be the best death scene I've ever watched.

As with the original question, at first I didn't like the whole Chrichton split up. But after watching Season 3 last year, I realized how great it was and what it did to the overall scope of the season. I haven't watched this series in a long time and I lost the downloads I had of it earlier this year. That sucked. :(

4. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm kind of hoping Sony will re-release the entire series in Blu-ray format soon. Amazon has an auto-notify feature for when it becomes available, so I think it would be awesome to have individual season sets and a PKW one.

5. Bonzo the Fifth

Sony? I didn't think they had the rights to the show...

Come to think of it, who does have the rights? Syfy and the Jim Henson Company made it, but who handled the distribution side of things?

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Used to be ADV, but I'm pretty sure Sony has the rights these days.

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

We got all excited about Blu-Ray when Sony picked up the rights... but noooooo.... :(

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Perhaps there's a similar problem with the effects not being rendered at 1080p resolution--the same problem that exists with Babylon 5 and all of Star Trek (outside of Enterprise and the remastered Star Trek).

9. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe seasons 1-3 were filmed at standard TV resolution, whereas season 4 and PKW miniseries were filmed in HD. I'm sure the VFX transfer would be awful, so re-releasing would be a time-consuming process. But they 'should' do it eventually...

10. Bonzo the Fifth

For what it's worth, one of the guys from The Digital Bits (who usually are in the know on such things) says:

So season 4 is no problem for Blu-Ray... I know if it'd been shot on video, we'd have the same problem as TNG, but I don't' know anything about 35mm as far as HD transfers go. Anyone know?

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Were the effects prepared in HD, though? That's the real issue. Transfering from 35mm to HD isn't cheap, but since 35mm has many times the level of detail as HD, it's not the problem. The problem is the resolution the visual effects were prepared in.

The same exists for TNG--it was shot on 35mm throughout the entire run, but the effects were produced on video and the episodes were mastered on video. So even if they returned to the original elements, the effects would still be at NTSC resolution.

12. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, sorry if I came off harsh. I just think that it's vital to understand that the two Crichtons are exactly the same, equal in every way. You have to know that either thing could have happened to either one of them, that it is a real Crichton that dies, but that a real Crichton is left behind too, for the drama to work as effectively as it does.

Another thing I love about the whole thing is that it is reflected right there in the opening credits from the beginning of the third season, even though the twinning doesn't happen till the sixth episode. In the credits voiceover, there are two parallel Crichtons delivering parallel descriptions of his life - one focused on his love and his friends, the other focused on the science of wormholes. Aeryn vs Earth, his twin obsessions, right there in plain sight from the start. Crichton is the Dog With Two Bones throughout the season.

How insane is it that you can say such a thing - not that I disagree, because I absolutely agree - about a character who never says a word, but is portrayed exclusively by sets and lighting rigs?

It is amazing how Farscape managed to make us feel for those two characters - Moya and Talyn - is if they were as real as any other. Hell, forget Pilot and Rygel - Moya had more character development that some characters on other shows.