All-Star Superman DTV Voice Cast Announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  2. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

How can you NOT love Ed Asner as Perry White? :techman:

3. Admiral_Young

How can you not love Ed Asner as basically anything? LOL. Interesting cast...looks like Andrea Romano did a hell of a job this time around, not that she hasn't in the previous installments. I especially like Hendricks as Lois.

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LaPagila as Luthor should be good, he has the right kind of voice. still can't beat Clancy Brown though.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

How'd you end up with Mike Danton from James Denton? The former is apparently a college hockey player jailed for conspiracy to commit murder(!).

6. Admiral_Young

Yeah sorry James Danton...and I ended up with him because I obviously typed the wrong name.

7. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Eh, don't fix what ain't broke says I...

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Whoa! That means Ed Asner will have now played both J. Jonah Jameson and Perry White! My mind is officially boggled. Are we in the Amalgam Universe now?

No idea who James Denton is. I know who Hendricks is, but I can't recall her voice offhand. LaPaglia... he's the guy from Without a Trace? I don't really hear him as Luthor, but we'll see.

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I love how Romano and/or Timm are always poaching Joss Whedon's actors. As I recall, some episodes of JLU weren't far off being Firefly reunions. ;)

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

So what with his having played Lou Grant, he is now THE go-to actor for newspapermen. Unless JK Simmons plays Perry in the next DTV movie.

Denton is from Desperate Housewives, where his onscreen wife is former Lois Teri Hatcher. I think his voice would be pretty apt for Superman.

Hendricks is in Mad Men, oppposite Jon Hamm, who's played Lex Luthor on SNL and tops many a fan-wish list for Superman himself; the show also features Iron Man 2's Howard Stark aka John Slattery and X-Men First Class's Emma Frost, January Jones.

Must admit, I can't imagine Lois talking with Christina's flirty voice but perhaps there's more to her than MM's voluptuous Joan. And if there's not - who cares. Joan is more than enough for me.

11. Admiral_Young

Not to mention that Ed just voiced Granny Goodness in "Superman/Batman:Apocalypse" as well, so versatile.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was Granny back in the animated shows as well.

The trick is how to convince Ed to play Granny Goodness in a live Movie/TV scenario?

Why have the lad as Perry when he could be Lou Grant?

13. Captaindemotion

^ Given that Lou Grant, like many a show, owes its origins to Happy Days, I wish to point out that I still think Ron Howard would have made a great Jimmy Olsen once upon a time.

14. Christopher

Uhh, wha? Lou Grant was spun off from The Mary Tyler Moore Show, the other '70s sitcom that spawned multiple spinoffs. (Well, one of the two others -- All in the Family spawned several of its own.)

And get this -- Asner's Mary Tyler Moore Show co-star Ted Knight played Perry White in Filmation's 1966 Superman animated series! (As well as playing Commissioner Gordon and various villains in Filmation's '68 Batman series and narrating a season of Superfriends. Sadly, I don't think Ted Knight ever did the voice of the Ted Knight Starman.)

15. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

That would have made a very amusing credit
    Ted Knight as Ted Knight

At least we got him as Carter Winston.

16. Captaindemotion

Oh, my bad. I thought that Lou was spun off from Laverne & Shirley (which was a Happy Days spin-off, IIRC), rather than MTM. :alienblush:

17. Christopher

No, Lou Grant was a regular character in The Mary Tyler Moore Show from the beginning. He was Mary's gruff-but-loveable boss at the Minneapolis TV news department where she worked. When TMTMS came to an end after seven seasons, Grant was spun off into his own eponymous series, in which he moved to LA to become a newspaper editor. In an unprecedented move, a half-hour sitcom spun off an hourlong drama. (The only other time that's happened that I can recall was Trapper John, MD, but that was technically a spinoff of the movie MASH rather than the TV sitcom, and didn't have any cast members in common.)

I'm wondering, what role did you think Lou played in Laverne and Shirley? That show was about a couple of brewery workers and their wacky neighbors. Plus it was set in the 1950s.

18. Captaindemotion

^I'm just mixing up my 70s sitcoms. I knew Lou Grant spun off from some sitcom with a female lead (or leads). Plus I didn't actually see any of these shows except Happy Days - too young! (plus they didn't air on this side of the pond very often).

Not to mention posting late at night with a few beers on board tends to obscure the trivia part of my brain ...

19. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just watched Superman & Batman: Apocalypse and it was just alright. Seemed like a bloated JLA episode. Daly and Conroy did great as usual and Summer Glau was a great addition as Kara, still wondering why Conroy didn't do Under the Red Hood too, but that's neither here or there. As for this new animated feature, interesting line up of voices, but I want to hear more about the plot. Still hope they do a Kingdom Come feature or something loosely based off of it.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I assumed it was a TVization of the comicbook "All-Star Superman" where Luthor zaps him with too much solar radiation and Clark goes critical "slowly" that he has a few weeks (12 issues) to sort out his shit before he explodes.

Do you understand what "Grant Morrison" means?