Why did Kirk tell Gaila "That's weird"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by rbnn, Jun 10, 2009.

1. rbnn

rbnn Lieutenant Red Shirt

What exactly was Kirk responding to when he said "That's weird" after Gaila said "I love you"? I do not think he was responding to Gaila's comment.

2. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because sometimes a young man doesn't know what to say when a young woman says "I love you" to him... especially when he is sleeping with her to get access to the computer system that controls the Kobayashi Maru simulation.

3. Tribbles

Tribbles Commander Red Shirt

I kind of thought it was an odd response, too. Funny, and I understand what SonicRanger is saying, but I would expect more of a general, "Seriously? Um..." kind of reaction.

4. Creedence

Creedence Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, Orions in Starfleet training would imply that, in this timeline, Kirk knows enough about Orion physiology to know sex with them is relatively safe. Can we same about when he bedded the green chick in ToS? He didn't know squat about their body structure. Assuming that coitus is achieved in a similar fashion as human capulation, how the hell did Kirk know she wouldn't lay her eggs in his nut sack? He could have had an Orion/human gestating between his testicles for 15-months for all he knew!

Just some of the random garbage that flits through my mind.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I used to think Kirk said "that's weird" because he wouldn't believe Orion girls could ever love anyone, but obviously Gaila is a special case, her being in Starfleet and all that. She's obviously not the kind of slave girl we're used to seeing in Orion society. And she probably has to take meds to suppress her Orion pheromones as well.

6. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm, yes, perhaps he hit something weird and unexpected between her legs.

7. Mereope

Mereope Lieutenant Red Shirt

When he teased Uhura into telling her name, he said something like, "that's so weird, that was just the name I was going to pick".

I think he was about to do the same thing with Gaila, "that's so weird, that's just what I was going to say", but she cut him off before he got to the punch line. And then dear roomie walked in.

Roommatus interruptus...

8. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No I don't think so *

* = copyright X-Men 2

9. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When did that happen?

10. Silversmok3

Silversmok3 Commander Red Shirt

Its good to know you guys get out often...NOT!lol.

Anyways,jokes aside,when a man beds a girl for sport the lady involved typically equates the sex to be 'love';and you can't say 'I love you' to a chick you're just sexing without,ahem,risking a severe blowback when the girl divines that you didn't mean it.Black Holes don't compare to that kind of scorn.

Which is why Kirk tried to evade the desired answer.He only suceeded in falling off a cliff,although not a literal one in that case.

11. miniglik

miniglik Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

No one else has done something similar? I'm a woman, and I've obviously never been a cocky male Starfleet cadet bedding a beautiful green chick, but in my dating days, I was always nonplussed by declarations of love from someone I didn't expect to give it and for whom I was not ready to bestow the same.

Usually, it resulted in some variation of, "uh. Okay. Thanks."

And even with the man I eventually married (and love fiercely to this day), the reaction was:
    "Oh."

*Pause*

"I have to go."

Some people just find it weird.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I've said "That's so weird" in response to that in the past (even during a one night stand when the girl said that). It could have been he was surprised, that's why I said it in response (especially, as said, during the one night stand).

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I still believe he was completely in his own world and didn't really hear her. I think the "That's so weird" was him realizing he was banging a green chick.

14. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder, too; and I'm not seeing an answer here that rings a bell for me. I tend to agree that he's not listening to her, and it's something else.

I checked the novelization, and it's not in there either; it's a different conversation.

15. Newski

Newski Captain Captain

Kirk was not responding the the statement, Rather, he looked at his finger, and noticed some green paint had rubbed off.

16. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah thanks for that :rolleyes:

17. TigerOfDarkness

TigerOfDarkness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My other half thinks Kirk was going to say "That's so weird, I love me too" :)

18. Iconian

Iconian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe that was the first time someone said that to him?

19. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

I think women probably say that to him often, and that is the problem for me with the surprised answer. He's expecting women to fall in love with him; it's why he tries so hard. In the book, Jim is giving Gaila a night to remember, so to speak.

20. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I can so see Shatner saying that... :lol: