Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sxottlan, Mar 1, 2013.

1. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe it's an apples-oranges thing and the on-line sale of a book is actually used, by TIIC, to justify not carrying it in the store.

2. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

I was going to comment on this. I was in my local B&N yesterday - trying to grab an Elmore Leonard book, but they were sold out - and noticed that the Star Trek shelves had been recently restocked with the 2013 releases, with the exception of Devil's Bargain.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

That is the job of the store manager of a chain. To report the store's needs to the corporate ordering person. To pass on the information gathered by staff. He may then be overruled, but he needs to keep trying. Each suburban store will have different requirements.

If you visit a range of a chains stores you'll see they are not necessarily cookie-cutter stores.

4. ICW

ICW Commander Red Shirt

The Barnes and Noble on RT. 17 in Paramus, NJ used to be an EXCELLENT place to buy Trek books because they have a gigantic used books section. Throughout the past 5 years or so I managed to build quite the collection, including picking up some rarities in excellent condition (purchased A Stitch in Time there for $3.00 once.

Over the years it got smaller and small. Every paperback was only $3.00 and soon became just .99 cents.

Now? Their entire shelf that was devoted to Trek books is gone. There's still some Trek books sprinkled here and there in their .99 cents pile but still...heartbreaking.

Oh, and their non-used book selection is weak sauce. Seriously, I haven't seen a new Trek book on their shelves in months.

5. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I noticed this a few years back when Borders was still around, both were cutting their Trek stock, was told it was dependant on sales & some stores will have, some not. This was part of the factor that finally pushed me to get a kindle.

6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I know that up here in the Ottawa region Chapter-Indigo has been cutting it's instore Trek inventory to where the stores in the malls might get one or two copies, with the bigger stores receiving maybe 5. However, Chapters also has in store Kiosks where people can go and order the book through the website and still pay at the cashier for the book, and I find all the Chaptes/Coles stores are moving towards online stock more than physical stock. I haven't been in a Barnes & Nobles, so I don't know if they have anything like a Chapters Kiosk, but that might be what's happening in the book stores now. Rely on the online stock more than the physical stock.

7. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

This is the first I've heard of a B&N having a used book section. Fascinating. (I live down in Edison so my datapoints are Menlo Park Mall and the B&N in Clark).

8. ICW

ICW Commander Red Shirt

I've never see another Barnes and Noble with a used books section, let alone a gigantic used books section. They sell tons of hard to find books for dirt cheap or very reasonable prices.

9. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Barnes and Noble in Rochester, Michigan has one. Good sized too.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can't do it yourself, but you can special order books through an employee.
    Borders did have kiosks like that where you could order it yourself, but I've never seen one at a B&N.

11. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

There are two B&N stores where I live. One has two of those kiosks, but the other has none. The newer store is the one that does have kiosks, so perhaps it's a more recent* development for B&N.

(* Relatively speaking, at any rate. That second store has been here for six years now.)

12. Lieut. Arex

Lieut. Arex Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bookseller fail they can do a ship to store order you pay for it over the phone the distribution center ships it to the store and you come pick it up we did it all the time at the store where I used to work

13. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

About time because the 3 I go to in my area have been lacking in the releases that came out at the beginning of the year, which I never got my hands on either.

14. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I no longer have any book stores near me. I really miss going in and seeing what new Trek novels were out. :(

I now get my novels from Amazon and ebay.

15. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

You're not missing much. Of course I'm not in Georgia, but here in Ontario when I went into the bookstore today I almost missed the new Fall book since the shelf space had shrunk from what it was a month ago. (A month ago Coles had had all their Trek book stacked parallel to the shelf, and then crammed all the books in that way in two piles; today it was like three books at the end of one shelf (with the end of the shelf being on the right hand side), another two or three on the left at the beginning of the next lower shelf, with the 5 or 6 copies of R&D facing front cover forward.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't been to the B&N closest to me in months, but when I did go last I did go last they had maybe a shelf and a half of Trek books at the absolute most. I can't imagine what it must look like now, because every time I've gone there have been less. At this point, if I go back to paper Trek books for some reason I'm going probably going to just order them from Amazon or B&N.com.