The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a half hour ferry ride I thought?

Any shorter and the cheaper bastards would just swim.

From what little was described on the show (and a fraction that I read online, which is mushing) they said that everything solid became liquid, the topography was whammied as flora and fauna were seeded per some master plan decided upon 5000 years earlier.

What literally are the terraformers thousands of Satellites issuing destructive beams that turn over the Earth like we do with a spade between plantings in a cabbage patch, millions of missiles that burrow under (Like the shadow death clouds on Babylon 5) and then blast a million tones of earth into the air each. Or a nanite storm?

Was it "relatively" instantaneous, or did the transition take years?

If sections of the planet were done one piece at a time in a systematic manner, the humans would be able to run away or around what every effect was going on that might have appeared to be creeping super storms that each turned entire States or small countries into inescapable death zones.

This glowing shit they're using for fuel now, was that always there or did the Terraformers seed it? Is it from the Voltan homeworld, the emergency fuel supply if they had to pick a new home if Earth was unusable? Or was it collected on the way to Earth in ramscoops?

The smart guy who weaponized this stuff was in Nolan's jail cell so you have to suppose that whatever it is, not it's name, it's composition, is "new" to the Voltan's since they found Earth.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Past is Prologue: Wow. That was all kinds of awful. The use of "Time after Time" at the end was almost too embarrassing to listen to.

I did enjoy Stahma trump carding Kenya, it always seemed likely she was playing her.

I'm also thinking Datak will win the election and then give the E-Rep a big fuck you. Of course there will be the scene where he has to ask the current mayor to help.

And I'm still loving the jumble of freight cars, emergency shelters and tin sheds piled atop each other that makes up the town. I wish we saw more indoor scenes in these areas and didn't have to look at that dreary government building so often.

[​IMG]

After the last one though this was a mess.

3. Guy Gardener

Whenever someone says da tak tar, do you think tick tac toe?

4. teacake

No it makes me think of draytek, the brand of my modem.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this week's was kind of meh. The election storyline is starting to remind me a bit of BSG's presidential election and I get the feeling that if Datak wins we're going to get a Defiance version of the New Caprica storyline with the town essentially under E-REP occupation. And in a shocking twist (note the sarcasm) we learn Stahma was playing Kenya all along.

While I get everything with Alak's friend getting shot by Nolan was all part of Datak's plan to discredit him and make Amanda look bad resulting in Datak winning the election and probably have someone from E-REP tak over the town's law enforcement, I don't buy that it would be so easy to vilify Nolan. After all, in real life if the security forces at an election rally spotted someone with what looked like a sniper rifle, they would shoot first and ask questions later. Especially if they had intel suggesting someone was going to make an attempt to kill the candidates. While it's unfortunate and tragic that this would-be assassin was really just a kid with a paintball gun planning a stupid prank, it is clear Nolan reacted in a justifiable and appropriate manner.

And so, Irisa's destiny is somehow tied into the mysterious alien artifact left behind by ancient astronauts. To be honest, I', just not interested in the artifact anymore.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Wow. I thought this was one of the best episodes of the series so far. I haven't been this impressed with a Michael Taylor script since DS9. The political maneuvering by the Tarrs was very deft and thorough (though it's a bit contrived in that they had no way to be sure Nolan would be the one to spot/shoot the "assassin," rather than Irisa or Tommy doing it, or nobody stopping him before he fired). And we finally get some answers about Irisa that are more interesting than another oogy-boogy mystical Chosen One cliche and that tie her arc into the larger seasonal arc.

7. Guy Gardener

They fell short.

The only way this worked was if they had killed Kenya before she revealed who the snitch was.

8. Christopher

I agree, it's a plot hole that they didn't dispose of Kenya. But maybe they have a plan for discrediting her some other way. We'll see.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

For what it's worth, the ep got a rave review at io9.com today.

I found it pretty compelling stuff. Can't wait to see what they come up with for the season finale.

10. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

So, was this "relationship" with Kenya planned from the beginning by Datak and carried out by Stahma... or did Stahma plan it from the beginning and let him in on it when it could suit him?

11. Greg Cox

Good question, but I suspect the latter.

When in doubt, assume Stahma is pulling the strings . . . .

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Datak basically is Stahma's bitch. She just let's him think he's in charge.

13. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Yeah, it's pretty clear that Stahma is the manipulative one in the relationship. She just relies on guile, charisma, and seduction to get what she wants, such as how she stopped Datak from blowing up all over their son in this episode when he questioned his motives.

14. Christopher

Stahma is the mastermind. Datak is the blunt instrument that she wields and applies like a scalpel.

15. Guy Gardener

But she's not very clever at hiding her glee about this masterhood of her husband to the evaluation of human eyes.

I swear I can telepathically hear her cackle.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought this was one of the best episodes so far. I do agree that there was no way they could be sure Nolan would be the one to react to the Alak's friend, but I enjoyed the stuff around it enough that I'm willing to overlook that. Datak's been one of my favorite characters in the series, and I thought they did some pretty interesting stuff with him in this one. I really liked that we finally got some answers about Irisa's visions, and it was not at all the answers I was expecting.
    I can't wait to see what happens in the finale next week.

17. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Having Nolan kill the boy was simply the best possible outcome for Datak.

If a deputy shot the boy, they could still blame it on Nolanfor being the one who issued the order. If they merely arrested the boy, hey its just a kid with a toy gun.. let him go. Whatever the outcome, they had nothing to loose

18. teacake

I was really hoping the mayor would actually be killed.

19. Guy Gardener

Are Julie's deathscenes in Angel and Dexter old faithfuls from your wankbank?

20. Greg Cox

Didn't she die on ROSWELL, too?

(Not a hundred percent sure. That was a long time ago.)