Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I am entirely serious. And I agree that it was a piece of crap. But more important that what it did wrong, is what it did right. The character dynamics and interactions between Reed and Sue and Reed and Doom, for one. The Doom in Corman's movie is insanely, gloriously over the top, as Doom should be. Story's Doom was just another corrupt businessman. Corman's FF felt more like a family story than, er, Story's. Story got most of that important stuff wrong.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

He can't be both? ;)

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Stan Lee is a cheerleading outfit is something that I hope I never see. Giant Evil Stan, on the other hand...bring it on!

4. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

No kidding. I remember him boasting of the one million dollar budget for FF and how they were going to squeeze every bit out of it for the F/X. :lol:

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

*Dr Evil voice* 'One meeeeellion dollarrrrssssss....'

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Stan Lee is a carnival barker-- and he created one of the greatest carnivals in History.

I saw the Corman FF movie years ago. Of course it's "bad," because Corman does B-Movies. But what I really remember liking about it is that it captured the feel of the FF comic (at least as it was back in the day). That's the one thing that is always lacking from comic book-based movies and TV shows, no matter how good they are on their own merits-- they never capture the feel of the books.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

8. Christopher

I'm currently rewatching the '90s Spider-Man animated series on Netflix, and I feel that to this day it's the one Marvel show that most faithfully captures the spirit, tone, and storytelling style of the comics, for better or worse.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I wish FOX Animation would release Spider-man and their X-Men 90's cartoons in one big collector set. Just seems odd they wouldn't have done so after all this time. Surely they've peaked at selling the individual 6eps at a time discs. Throw in some nice extras to entice a double dip.

Also, where is our Spider-man & his Amazing Friends set?

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't like Corman's version better than the big budget FF movies, but I did enjoy it.

At this point I'd love to see another superhero movie that takes more liberties with the comics than the Marvel/Paramount/Disney things do.

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

A 50s/60s set Fantastic Four or a Marvel Nights series with their street-level heroes would give them some nice freedom from the stricter interpretations of the "marvel shared cinematic universe." The street-level heroes are particularly well suited to a more Nolan-esque approach. Daredevil, Punisher, Luke Cage, etc.

12. RJDiogenes

^^ I'd love to see FF done as a period piece, as they did with X-Men: First Class and Captain America.

:)

I'm not familiar with that one, but I will say that the 60s Spider-Man and Fantastic Four cartoons did come very close to capturing the spirit of the comics. And, of course, the Marvel Super-Heroes show literally captured the comics-- by cutting out the artwork from the books. :rommie:

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I never imagined Spidey sounding like he does in the 60s cartoon though.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read an interview with Mark Millar and he's saying that the obvious undercurrent in the series is that Reed knows that te Submariner slept with Sue and he's not completely sure if he isn't supposed to kill Namor? He knows that he shouldn't... But he REALLY wants to.

15. Christopher

I don't know about the FF cartoon, but I definitely disagree about the '60s Spidey cartoon. It had the action of the comics, but left out the characterization, personal drama, and serialized plotting -- the very things Stan Lee added to comic-book storytelling that were so revolutionary and defined the Marvel approach. I don't think we got any Marvel cartoons that captured those aspects of Marvel's writing until the FOX X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons of the '90s. Those shows, especially the latter, captured the mix of qualities that characterized Lee's writing for better or worse: believable characterization and elaborate personal melodrama combined with wild, bizarre fantasy concepts and intensely corny dialogue.

16. RJDiogenes

^^ Well, it didn't have serialized plotting, of course, but the characterization and aesthetics were in line with the books. Or so I recall. It was 45 years ago and I was seven years old. :rommie:

You mean the voice actor?

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

My first interaction with Spider-Man was in the Electric Company, so I gobsmacked when I saw (heard) Spidey "talking" on screen in the olden days toon... Considering the date, it might have been Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends which was an absolute Tease... They went to a costume party and party goers are all dressed as X-Men.

18. Christopher

No, they were both far cruder and not very accurate. For instance, there was only one episode in which a character named "Mary Jane" appeared, and she was portrayed as a ditzy go-go dancer and photography buff who happened to be Captain Stacy's niece (and neither of them looked like they did in the comics). Jameson was a regular character in at least the first season, and he was pretty faithfully portrayed, but most of the rest of the supporting cast was nowhere in sight.

The last time I watched it was only a few years ago. It's available on Marvel.com's video site, or it was then.

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I agree with this completely. I was fortunate I grew up in the 90s. On top of those two, we had the Batman Animated Series. I think part of the reason for the success of the new comic movies is that the children of the 90s are now into adulthood so they can appreciate these stories on the big screen.

Don't get me wrong. None are perfect. I was confused in the first Spiderman movie seeing Green Goblin before Hobgoblin, but I quickly figured out why there was a change. Likewise, there's an awkward habit in the first season of X-Men for everyone to refer to each other exclusively by their superhero name even when in private, but they thankfully fixed that in future seasons. Either way, the stories, themes, and characters of the comics were pretty faithfully captured for those fortunate enough to see them.

20. Christopher

Right. Coming to its pinnacle in the first-season finale where Scott proposed marriage to Jean and she replied with an impassioned "Ohhh, Cyclops!" :rolleyes: