New Arrested Development! (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Kestra, May 26, 2013.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I spent the last week watching the entire series for the first time. I can't say I really got attached to the show, but the characters did grow on me and the humor… The humor was absolutely brilliant. Oddball, subtle and pretty sophisticated. All that and you do have to have some good knowledge of news and pop culture just to catch everything. They certainly didn't go for the cheap. Oh, and I loved season 3, by the way. I heard little to nothing about this show while it was on. The only reason I know it exists is because one or two people here mentioned it once or twice. I don't know how a show like this slipped past me. Weird. It must have been something special though. Most of the cast went on to successful movie careers and they even got some high profile guest stars.

As for season 4, the humor was top notch, but I didn't like the new format. The show worked better when everyone was together playing off eachother. On that I agree. Plus, the story was pretty convoluted and some of the episodes were hard to slog through because I didn't care for certain characters on their own. The longer run-time didn't help either. It did get better though towards the end, around the episode "It Gets Better". The Fakeblock stuff was pretty good and I can't wait to see where that goes. Looking forward to season 5. And aside from the humor, I was really impressed that they managed to get everyone back. We got the entire regular cast, the guest stars and the bit players (except for Julia Louis Dreyfuss). They truly did the impossible. Or was it just the right time with everyone's movie careers winding down a bit? :vulcan: An amazing feat none the less.

Two jokes I really loved…

From season 3… When Charlize Theron says to Michael in the hotel room… "I think we should keep the lights on to see if you have a monster. Hee hee!" I totally bought that as sexual inuendo and was just as GOBsmacked as Michael was a few episodes later when he realized what she really meant. :lol:

From season 4… The "and Jeremy Piven" nightclub. :lol: Nice little poke at Entourage's opening credit sequence.

Aside from that...

- Interesting to see how people aged indeed.

- A shame about Portia de Rossi. She didn't need all that plastic surgery.

- Steve Holt does look quite different. Was the actor really in make-up? I didn't recognize him either when GOB was talking to him in the bar. :lol:

- I wouldn't have appreciated the "George Maharis" bit if I hadn't heard about the name change and read about the actor beforehand. Like George Michael, he was also arrested for a sex act in a public washroom. I also appreciate that they gave the audience a chance to look him up so that they could be in on the joke.

- I noticed that Caprica's Alessandra Torresani originally played Ann Veal.

- I miss the banana stand too. I'd love to try a frozen banana sometime, by the way.

- Tony Hale looks like he'd be a good Penguin in a Batman project. Don't know what that has to do with anything, but he does.

2. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Yes, the actor who plays Steve Holt (Justin Grant Wade) was wearing make-up and a wig, he does not look like that today. Did you notice he changed the sign on his shop to "Steve Holt! (and Dad) Pest Control"?

Another layer to the George Maharis joke: the actor George Maharis was arrested in a public bathroom with a hairdresser named Perfecto Telles.

3. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now watch it again. I'm serious, the show is even better on repeated viewings because the sheer density of jokes makes it unlikely that you caught them all on your first viewing, and some jokes only make sense retroactively, the most famous example being Buster's hand chair back in season 1.

My favourite hidden joke is that Tobias is actually a black man with a skin condition that makes him look white.

That threw me too, but it was all make up. It was the follow-up to this joke from season 2.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

All the times I've watched the show, I never got the implication that Tobias was black :wtf: It's amazing how subtle they can be!

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read the theory two years ago and wasn't sure whether to believe it or not, but the two extra hints in season 4 made me a believer. I don't know if they ever plan to confirm it in the show, but they're definitely putting those references in there for dedicated fans to catch.

6. Agent Richard07

I did. I also found an interview where Hurwitz confirms that his change in appearance was intentional and that we were supposed to have the same experience that Gob did. Amazing how well they pulled that off.
    TV Guide Magazine: Were we not supposed to recognize "Steve Holt"?
    Hurwitz: That was intentional. I loved how we wanted to hide him in plain sight. I wanted audiences to have the same reaction that Gob did, "Wait, that's Steve Holt." Alia [Shawkat] didn't recognize him either. There are so many things that happen this season that are right before your eyes. You really don't see them until the second viewing. There's the thing called the "Selective Attention Test." Look up on YouTube, it explains basically what the whole show is. Source
    I heard that Alia Shawkat said that they were going to do an episode where that would be revealed, but nothing came of it. Then I read something similar in this interview. Looks like they were laying the groundwork, and even if they didn't go through with the reveal, they at least continued the gag. Looks like they even lucked out with Shawkat's appearance, since she doesn't look like either of her parents. Unless Hurwitz had plans even as the show was being cast.

Nice way to retroactively put in some foreshadowing if that's what they did. Maybe I will have to watch this show again. I know I didn't catch everything but I didn't realize it was to this extent. Maybe when the show is truly over after 7 seasons, 3 movies and the web series.

I've also been doing some thinking about why I didn't know about this show and apparently, FOX didn't advertise it, either very well or at all. Looks like they also wanted to dumb it down because it was too complex. More from Alia Shawkat...
    I was wondering if you guys feel like you're making this incredible show, and in a way, it's you versus FOX?
    I get that feeling always when we get to times like this. When it's like, "Are we cancelled or not?" Otherwise you don't even realize it. We're just working and then all of a sudden it's like, "Whoa, wait, we really are in a battle to stay on the air. And the reason we're in a battle is because we're so different from everything else that's on the air." That's when it starts to come out. The other day Mitch [Hurwitz] came on the set and I was doing a scene with David, and Mitch was talking about how some of the people at the network were angry at him for not making the show dumber. An actual quote from one of the network executives to Mitch was, "You are trying too hard. Just stop trying so hard. We want it to be simpler." She was like, "Have you ever even tried to make it simpler?" They were angry at him for making the show too good. They were like, "You gotta dumb it down, slower pace. Have you ever tried to take out some of the storylines like we asked you to?" He was just sitting there dumbfounded, like, "What the fuck do you want me to do?" And he is the hardest working man you'll ever meet. He really is. The thing that's going to hurt me the most when the show is cancelled, is that the man won 7 Emmys, but he'll never be recognized as one of the hardest working men in Hollywood. He works all the time. He never has any breaks. The writers from season 2 quit because they had to work such crazy hours. And now we just got a fresh batch of young writers who work some god awful hours. But he actually said that the network execs were angry at him for making it too smart. I mean, we obviously know that it's different, but I'm not like, "We're above every show." It's just that we're the ones that have to fight to stay on the air, and fight to make another episode. We definitely appreciate what they give us, but we definitely have a love/hate relationship with FOX. I feel bad because I always make fun of FOX, how it's all made up of reality shows and "Prison Break," but I don't know. I don't know how we fit into their groove. But in my opinion they should be happy to have us. They should appreciate what they have, but of course to them it's all money, and right now we're not making them that much money. Source

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  7. Agent Richard07

I found this… Fakeblock Website

You can download the app and enjoy hours of fun tapping it.

8. tighr

Ugh, I just got the "Fantastic 4" joke. And DeBrie's "More like the Fantastic 3, and lousy 1" comment. I was a little slow on the uptake, there.

Good job, writers. Good job. :techman:

Just goes to show, every time you re-watch this show, you realize another funny meta joke.

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Yeah, the App ad made the rounds on FB this week. :lol:

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ugh, I just got the "Fantastic 4" joke. And DeBrie's "More like the Fantastic 3, and lousy 1" comment. I was a little slow on the uptake, there.

What was the joke? I forget.

11. tighr

Essentially the Fantastic 4 subplot is a meta joke to this being the 4th season, along with all the other references to "4" (the logo of Fienberg, Fienberg, Fienberg, and Fienberg being blurred out). DeBrie's comment about Fantastic 3 and lousy 1 is a reference to one of the Arrested Development seasons being lousy, most likely the third season.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That flew right by me! I really liked the third season. The Wee Brain stuff was classic, and the ending arc was great.

13. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Season 4 of Arrested Development is the smartest television I've seen all year. I've seen plenty of complaints that it was too complicated (:rolleyes:), but I loved its ambition. So many fans act like they'd have preferred a Greatest Hits package of episodes ala Red Dwarf Series 10. I thought this was a much more progressive, interesting idea and welcome more.

The Sound of Silence moment with the Mongolian at the end made me die laughing.

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I'm a latecomer to the series, as I started it about a week or so ago. But I was instantly hooked, it didn't take me long to shoot through all four seasons.

I admit season 4 did take a bit to get into. The new format is definitely a huge change of pace, but you know what? I really liked it, sure I missed the cast interaction, but for the story being told, it sure made sense. I mean the only reason the family was sticking together for the first three Seasons was Micheal, and at the beginning of this season he does walk out on them, so they all pretty much go their separate ways. It makes total sense and works.

I'm almost tempted to go back and re watch the whole series again, just so I can pick up on the jokes I may have missed. But I might give it some time to let it feel (relatively) fresh again.

15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Just really needed another episode or two, or a guaranteed Season 5 on the way. They built up everything in all these storylines to Quatro, and then didn't actually deal with what happened...

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It wasn't too complicated, it was just dull.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

with no payoff

18. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

I didn't binge watch the whole season. Me and my brother watched 5 episodes at a time over the span of three weeks.

The first 3 episodes were a little slow moving, possibly because I was getting used to the new format. Episode 4 is when the season started moving a little quicker and it held on to that pace for the remainder of the season.

One thing I've always loved about this show is that jokes are hidden everywhere. Whether it's visual jokes in the background or more subtle ones like the parmesan cheese/mustard meal that Gob, Tobias and almost Maeby eat. (It's a reference to Martin Mull!) And this season is FILLED with them. Blurring the word Google at every opportunity, the words on the Imagine Entertainment and Jerry Bruckheimer Productions describing their logos, both Lindsay and Maeby using the name Featherbottom as aliases. They just keep popping up everywhere.

I ended up liking the format a lot. It felt like I was watching a really long movie. I'm looking forward to rewatching the season so the earlier stuff makes more sense.

Right now, looking back, I'd have to say that Gob's episodes, Tobias's episodes and Maeby's episode are the standouts. I think I laughed the most at Gob's first episode, especially at the aforementioned parmesan cheese/mustard joke. I didn't even initially notice that Gob wasn't actually putting those condiments on anything. Once I saw him sprinkling the cheese onto the mustard in his hand I think I laughed for about 2 straight minutes. As he's eating it and complaining to Michael he says that his diet has been suffering or something like that and the way Michael looks down at Gob's concoction and nods like "Yeah, I can clearly see that" just about killed me. :guffaw:

My one big gripe about this season would have to be where they left Maeby's character by the end. I always thought she was underrated in the original seasons. I liked where they took Maeby with her job as a studio executive. She may not be very book smart, but she's very experienced at bullshitting. And I just hate where the season ended with her. I'm not sure how to make spoiler tags, but if you've watched the season you know what I'm talking about.

Other than that this season was great. A little different, but the humor is the same. I'm hoping that Mitch Hurwitz and company just ditch the movie idea and just do more seasons. This show just seems like it would suffer in that format.

19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched the first two episodes. Probably should have watched season 4 again beforehand. I forgot how complex the story has become.

20. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

A re-cut version of season 4 was released on Netflix a few weeks ago. The creator said he did it mostly because it would somehow be better for syndication. I'm not sure of the details, but I'm glad for it because I really liked the re-cut version. I spent the past week bingeing on it. I've watched the first couple episodes of season 5 and having watched the new season 4 definitely improved my understanding of what was going on.