Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. LastRideOut

LastRideOut Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well, I skipped buying this set because the screenshots that were posted did not look good at all. With that said, I saw the Blu-Ray Season 2 set at the local thrift store for $2 and bought it for $1 after spinning the save-$ wheel, which landed at 50 percent off. So the total paid was $1.08.

I've watched two episodes so far, and yeah, relative to S1 and now S3 which I bought at Target, it looks bad. The live action shots in S2 look like the gag reel on the Best of Both Worlds Blu-Ray set- that is, they look unprocessed. The picture overall looks flat in season 2. The uniforms don't pop at all, like in S1 and S3. The FX looks washed out. Just an all around bad job by HTV. The only saving grace of S2 is that it still looks better than the SD DVD set by a large margin.

Glad I paid only $1 for it. If I hear that HTV is doing future seasons, I'll be skipping those as well, and getting only the seasons that CBS-D does, or does the "conforms" for, like in S4 which I have high hopes for.

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Well we already know that HTV are no longer involved. Modern Video are doing season 4, and based on the Season 4 trailer, it looks like they're doing a pretty good job. If the Season 4 remaster is up to scratch then I imagine they'll get the nod for Season 6 as well.

3. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

The only issue with the S4 trailer is that the really good stuff being showcased is actually from Redemption part 2, which was done by CBS-D. It doesn't give a good feel for Modern videos work at all really.

4. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, yeah, fair point. We'll have to wait a little longer to see how MV fare I suppose, but it's difficult to imagine anyone being as inconsistent as HTV were. Hopefully with CBS-D paying much closer attention, and doing the conforms this time, we'll get something much better than Season 2. Having Max Gabl involved will help too - the planets in Season 2 stuck out like a sore thumb compared to what we'd gotten in the first season.

Oh well, fingers crossed. :techman:

5. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Modern Video's work so far looks pretty good. Far superior to HTV. If CBS-D is an 10, and HTV is a 5, then MV so far looks like an 8.

Some of the trailer shots were rough in the first place. The shot of the Enterprise firing torpedoes? That was always overlit and ugly. I'll reserve my judgment until I see their take on the stock footage of the 6-footer.

I do notice that MV's starfields don't look as good as CBS-D's. The stars are a little too big and blurry, but still much better than HTV.

6. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

I have purchased Season 1 and haven't really looked through it yet.Then I had planned to purchase Season 2 only when I'd get a really good deal. I just ordered online at 26 USD. I found that acceptable.

7. jimbotron

8. Timo47

Timo47 Commander Red Shirt

9. jimbotron

The same can be said about 75% of the effects shots in season 2. Most of the shots are stock footage from season 1. Yet they were all redone. Perhaps if HTV hadn't wasted their time redoing shots already done by CBS-D, they could have put more time and effort into the new shots, such as in Q Who.

10. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

It also makes us wonder why CBS-D didn't provide HTV with the already remastered elements of the stock shots, starfields etc in the first place, I hope this isn't the case for Season 4 and MV even with the supervision they reportedly received to ensure consistency between seasons.

Another FX fluff in that episode is the misaligned deflector glow element and the warp nacelle glows are missing all together.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x21/peakperformance_hd_379.jpg

11. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

12. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Peak Performance looks better than most of HTV's season 2 work and they still managed to screw it up. I'm glad I'm not an X-Files fan as I'll be spared the inevitable disappointment when they screw up the remastering of that too.

13. jimbotron

TrekCore's screencaps for Shades of Gray are pretty interesting. I checked to see how HTV handled CBS-D's stock footage.

The framing, color and grain structure of the stock footage is different. That leads me to believe HTV started with the raw 2K scans of the negatives and completed the footage from scratch rather than using CBS-D's work. I assume they just ran the shot list through their iConform software without utilizing what was already available. Perhaps this was the quicker and easier way, who knows.

That doesn't apply to just the season 1 stuff, even scenes reused from season 2 have different framing and color timing from the original episodes:
    The Dauphin:
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x10/thedauphin_hd_151.jpg
    Shades of Gray:
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x22/shadesofgray_hd_214.jpg

Shades of Gray was originally made with stock footage to save money and time. It looks like HTV ironically gave this episode way too much attention.

Here's a good example of DNR used by HTV:

HTV applying DNR, skin looks waxy:
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x22/shadesofgray_hd_361.jpg

Original CBS-D:
    http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x22/symbiosis_hd_433.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  14. DJ Mike

DJ Mike Ensign Red Shirt

I did wonder how Shades Of Gray would fare compared to its original source episodes! :D

15. Jadin

Jadin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Despite the new graphics, that episode is excruciating.

16. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So far I think this season has the best special features. It's so cool to see the reading rainbow segment, I must have seen that on TV when I was 5 or 6 years old!

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

But you don't have to take my word for it.

(Da-da Dun!)

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. That's the type of stuff I wanted to see as the series progressed. To only have special features with just the writing staff and the feature feeling like it would have worked the best on the DVD sets is really disappointing.

19. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, this is all very depressing, though it explains why the radiator glow in Heart of glory was changed, even though I'm almost certain it was intentional, though I'd have to find that particular Andrew Probert painting to be sure.

20. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did you intend to respond to a post in the Season 1 thread?