Cartoon Network Returning Genre Shows Sat AM

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cylkoth, Sep 28, 2012.

1. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Just a heads up...
    With the fall season getting underway this week, I thought I'd post this heads up for the DC Nation hour block, which resumes Saturday AM Sept 29th, 10am EST 9am Central.

Green Lantern
    season 1 brings episode 14, ''The New Guy'', and Young Justice continues it's second season with ep08 entitled ''Satisfaction''.

And I know Star Wars The Clone Wars has it's own thread, I couldn't help but be dismayed that it's premiere airings have been moved to Sat AM (9:30amEST) starting this week. Is it's Friday prime time slot replacement ''Level Up'' really that big in the ratings? :wtf: Well, at least it relieves some Friday night recording congestion, with Grimm, Fringe, and Nikita, all clumped together...
    And there's yet another iteration of Ben 10, this time ''Omniverse'' which will lead off the 2 hour action block at 9amEST.

The entire block gets an encore on Sunday mornings, at the same times.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Ben 10: Omniverse actually aired its first two episodes last week, so people coming in this week will be a bit behind. Although I found the opening 2-parter to be a little... lacking. It seemed to set things up without payoff -- like opening with a flashback to preadolescent Ben before cutting forward to present-day Ben, and then never returning to the 11-year-old version or explaining what purpose the flashback served. And as yet there's no explanation for why it's called Omniverse. I'd gotten the impression that it would involve alternate timelines, or at least interaction between Ben at the two different ages, but as yet there's been nothing about that.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not Cartoon Network but TMNT is on Nick Sat morning as well (though it aired Fri night).

4. Christopher

^Well, the first half of the 2-part premiere aired Friday, but the whole hourlong episode is airing Saturday morning at 11 Eastern (conveniently right after DC Nation ends).

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

NPR did an entire segment about it Friday morning. Apparently ten years of showing nothing, but Spongebob has caused Nickelodeon's ratings to take a dive. Who would have thought? :confused:

6. Christopher

^"Nothing but Spongebob?" Aren't you forgetting the greatest animated universe of the past decade, something involving Avatars and the bending of elements?

7. cylkoth

Thank you. I wasn't aware that it started up so early. I haven't been watched CN much during the summer, so any promos escaped my attention.

8. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Much appreciated. I've been looking forward to new episodes of Both GL (which I really never expected to like) and YJ (which met and then surpassed what I was already expecting to be a greast show)

9. Christopher

Still bored by Omniverse. Are they just going to open every episode with a flashback to young Ben and never connect it to older Ben? That seems like it's just pandering to nostalgia, and it's a pretty awkward format. And it's getting tiresome that Ben's new Omnitrix never gives him the alien he selects. That gag was severely overused years ago, and now it's the only thing they're doing.

Clone Wars didn't interest me much either. This is the best they can do with Maul and Oppress? Some mucking about with pirates? Although I guess the idea was to set up the thread that the criminal underworld has been running amuck with the Jedi distracted by war, and that feels like it's going to be the focus of the season.

Green Lantern was okay. Diedrich Bader was fun as Guy Gardner, and I'm glad that they've finally started to populate the Earth scenes with a few people. It was ridiculous last season when Hal got sent back to Earth and he and Carol were the only people around. But I guess we still won't be seeing Earth too often, given Hal's new assignment.

Young Justice was excellent. I wish I'd had time to review my DVRed episodes and refresh my memory about the storyline to date, but once I got caught up, it turned out pretty well. It bothers me that Speedy defaulted so readily to attempted murder; I would've hoped Ollie would've raised him better than that. And he was appeased somewhat too easily in the wake of that. But it was cool to see a Greg Weisman-written Lex Luthor basically channeling Gargoyles's David Xanatos, and at one point directly quoting him: "Revenge is a sucker's game."

10. cylkoth

^Re:Ominverse. This was my first sampling, and I agree-the flashback was pointless (and already tiring). So, we see him encounter an alien during his younger escapades that shows up in the present day. It didn't really add anything that the present day storyline couldn't have shown.

Clone Wars-The Bros never held my interest in the first place, so having the premiere focused on them made this a bit of a downer for me. I was hoping they'd both be crushed and we wouldn't have to deal with them again. No such luck. And more insane power levels on display. Instead of force pushing a starship over, why not just 'fly' yourself off at high speed to your shuttle-two people weigh less than a Jedi ship! He most likely felt the need for a barricade against the pirate's weapons fire, but the continuing issues of just how powerful a force user can be when the script demands a cool visual is getting annoying.

Green Lantern-I was a bit confused on how long Guy's been a Lantern. Wouldn't Carol have known about another GL flying around, and mentioned it to Hal? Since the Guardians were so enamored with Guy, that suggests he's been a GL for a pretty significant period while Jordan was away. :confused:

11. Christopher

Carol didn't have a lot of time to talk to Hal before he got called away, and they had more urgent personal matters to talk about. Basically it was just "Hi, honey, I'm back from saving the universe!" "I missed you, but you're fired. What if you're gone longer next time?" "I won't be, but -- oops, crane disaster, gotta go, we'll have dinner!" Where are you gonna fit "Oh, by the way, there's another Green Lantern who took your job" in the middle of that conversation?

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I never thought I would see Otis again, lol. Nice shout out to Superman: The Movie.

13. Christopher

I could've done without the Otis reference. Clearly this Otis is immensely more competent than his namesake, but still, just the reminder is irritating.

14. Mr. Adventure

Ah, I thought the Otis reference was cute and harmless.

It struck me watching Young Justice that it does drama better than many shows seen as more mature due to not being a cartoon.

Wonder how many failsafes Luthor has put into that arm? Doubt you could fire it at him. Those Mercy guns aren't anything to sneeze at.

They really dig the female squad, don't they? Gotta say I don't mind.

15. Christopher

What surprised me was when Mercy bled, and made sounds of pain. I figured she was a full-on android, but apparently she's a cyborg. Which is kind of horrifying if you think about it, given how robotic she usually is. Just how voluntary was this transformation? How much of the original person is left, both physically and otherwise?

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the Clone Wars episode. I like the Maul/Opress pair, and Hondo, so there was a lot for me to like in this one. And now I guess we know why Adi Galia wasn't around in Revenge of the Sith.
    The GL episode was fun. This was my first exposure to Guy Gardner, and he seems like a fun character. Was that the Anti-Monitor who activated the Manhunters?
    Really enjoyed the YJ episode. Some interesting developments with the 2 Roys, and a couple fun scenes with the girls. I loved Captain Cold's reaction when the girls broke free of his ice.

17. Mr. Adventure

It's amazing they can make something that looks like Clone Wars for Saturday morning fare. Whenever I come back to it after it's been away for a while it just strikes me as amazing.

I agree that the pirate storyline wasn't exactly ambitious I thought it was pretty entertaining. I liked how pragmatic the pirate leader was and Kenobi was kick-ass.

And flying saucers!

18. cylkoth

:lol: Right after he says, ''Oops, there's a crane diaster''. Carol: Let the other guy handle it..'' Hal: What other guy?!'' :guffaw:
    I know, I know. But I couldn't help but wonder if she knew about Guy or not. That would've helped sell her position that Hal need not fly off into danger at a moments notice.

19. Christopher

Those of you who already knew who Adi Galia was. To me she was just some generic background Jedi that they didn't even bother to give a name to before they killed her off. Sometimes this show tosses in too many obscure characters as Easter eggs for the fans without bothering to consider the more casual viewer who doesn't know the name and life story of every character who was onscreen for five seconds in the background of a movie.

Well, it has been Friday night fare for most of its run, I think. It seems inappropriate, in fact, to schedule such a violent, TV-PG show for 9:30 Saturday morning.

And I doubt anyone else could make a show that looks like this. Lucasfilm has the advantage of being insanely rich and makes this largely with their own money, or so I gather.

But that's not her position. That's the position of a needy, selfish girlfriend who wants Hal to put her above his duties to others, and Carol is better than that. Remember how easily she gave up the Star Sapphire power, and made that speech about how love isn't about possessing someone, but having the strength to put their needs first? Carol's position is that Hal should fly off into danger at a moment's notice because a lot of people need him to, and she doesn't want him to abrogate that responsibility on her account.

Heck, she was probably going to break up with him anyway at dinner. It didn't seem like an impulsive decision to me, but something she'd been thinking about for a while. So she wasn't in the state of mind that would make her ask him to put her over his duty. If anything, she was probably glad to have an excuse to put some distance between them until she had the chance to tell him. (Although breaking up with him over the phone? Not her finest moment.)

20. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it looked like a modification of the anti-monitor.