Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Dead Avengers? Seems Marvel is now into JLAntarctica territory. Franchise overkill.
    And really Vision, don't you have to be alive before you can be dead?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished reading "Secret Avengers" and this book just doesn't disappoint. It's probably my favorite Marvel book at the moment and I wasn't sure what to expect from it before hand. Rogers does indeed host the Nova Force while rescuing Richard from the Serpent Crown while Ant-Man blows up the Shadow Council's Vanishing Point!!! I'm also becoming a fan of Valkyrie thanks to this book. The Secret Avengers are now aware of Fury and next issue looks like we're going to get some answers...maybe. Awesome stuff.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm having the opposite reaction. I just don't care about anything in Secret Avengers. I much prefer New and O.G. Avengers.

4. Admiral_Young

Haven't checked out the New Avengers restart yet and thought "Avengers" started off good but has tailed off. But now maybe that Maestro has showed up.

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I digged SECRET the most this week. Feels like good, old school Avengering.

While I like the plot in NEW, I can see my end in sight. Bendis' dialog is really starting to grate on my nerves.

6. Admiral_Young

Well I just finished reading Avengers#4 and again weird stuff is afoot...the Avengers team in the future indeed encounters their children who are following orders from Maestro who's revealed to be...good? In a humorous panel Maestro greets the Avengers and bear hugs Logan and acknowledges his name. In fact Maestro planned the entire thing to bring them to the future to help them...but then the cliffhanger (I'll admit the cliffhangers in this first arc have been pretty great) has old Tony Stark and Maestro holding Iron Man as it appears that Old Tony is about to tear into his younger self for some reason. Crazy stuff happens in the present too.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I bet you it's a non-cliffhanger where all he does is take a skin sample or something.

8. Admiral_Young

That's what I've been thinking myself...

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Interesting...

In this interview at CBR with Marvel Executive Editors Tom Brevoort and Axel Alonso they preview this image from Avengers #5, which they call "the most important panel in a Marvel comic this year" and supposedly contains clues and minor spoilers for the next two years of Marvel stories.

There are references to recent events such as the begining of the Heroic Age, the return of Hope and the Five Lights, and "Shadowland", stuff coming up soon such as the "Chaos War" and "Three", but what is the "Ultron War" , "Yesterday's X-Men", "Galactus Seed" and "Scorched Earth"? (Actually, the flow chart indicates that that "Ultron War" might relate to the vision of the future Steve Rogers had in Reborn #6.)

Interesting...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  10. Admiral_Young

So Marvel has decided to copy Rip Hunter's chalkboard from 52...except in the form of a timeline, interesting.

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Heh. Just like FlashForward.

12. Admiral_Young

I made it my wall paper so I could study it...so far "Captain America Reborn", "Siege", Fantastic Four "Three" is there, Nine World Disapear is interesting, Man Without Fear, "Five Lights" (seems like a homage to the TNG episode lol), Ultron War, The Return of the King?, Galactus Seed. There are other things on there that I can't really look at. Weird no Spider-Man stuff...

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I thought the Ultron War was the future thing going on in the Avengers comic, Ultron vs Maestro and the Kid Avengers.

14. Admiral_Young

You're correct...I'm stupid tonight it would seem...the chart even has a "You Are Here" asterisk! LOL. Marvel announces the return of the Illuminati with Medusa replacing Black Bolt in "Avengers #8" which shows Reed still so at least he's still alive.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/avengers-illuminati-return-100917.html

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  15. Admiral_Young

Well "Secret Avengers" was pretty boring for the first time. As predicted the Nick Fury we've been seeing in a Hydra uniform isn't Nick but some sort of advanced Life Model Decoy named Max who is a rouge. The issue ended with Steve pissed at Nick and the Shadow Council putting their next stage in of their plan into motion.

"Avengers" has kind of been disappointing...the only thing fun was the panel with the timeline on it. I'm starting to think we're not going to get any explanation or real interaction with the Young Avenger kids at all.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

"Avengers" is my favorite. Big crazy action, JRJR art, a million heroes and baddies. And with #5 it's finally becoming a coherent story instead of endless weird shit.

Actually "New Avengers" is doing the exact same thing. All tons of crazy unexplained chaos for several issues before any kind of explanation is offered. I do enjoy it though, and the art is good.

Of the Heroic Age books I'd rank them...
    Avengers > New Avengers > Thunderbolts ........ > Secret Avengers > Avengers Academy

I dunno if Secret Warriors counts towards this but I really stopped caring about this book. When it started I thought it was amazing, but this recent story about old men getting killed by no-name Hydras is just boring me to tears, and it's being told in a very confusing fashion. I miss the super powered kids.

17. Admiral_Young

The only thing that I've been enjoying in "Avengers" has been Peter's banter with Jessica. Have no idea if Bendis is teasing some kind of future romance between them (most likely not) but I have really enjoyed their relationship in this book. I will agree that Johnny Jr's art has been fantastic. The team dynamic has been interesting as well. I wonder though when "Wolverine in Hell" is supposed to take place during this escape as well as the war against the vampires. I haven't seen the vampire war appear on Tony's timeline.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Something tells me the big Avengers book is not going to be greatly concerned with what's going on in the X-Books. The vampire war is just a little six issue arc, it's not that important in the long run.

I think the bigger question is when does the New Avengers magic crisis take place in relation to the Avengers time crisis, since Manhatten is brutally attacked in both and Wolverine is in both :lol:

19. Admiral_Young

This thread hasn't been updated in a while. I'm close to dropping "Secret Avengers". The second arc has bored me somewhat, although this past week's issue was interesting. "Avengers" is okay. Infinity Gems arc is fairly intriguing and I guess of note was the confrontation between the Illuminati and the rest of the Avenger teams due to the fact that two of the Gems were stolen and were in the possession of Tony Stark and Reed Richards. Steve is pissed at Tony again. Just started getting into "New Avengers" again and this looks like the funnest book of the three main Avenger titles.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved that show down... The real inner asshole within Stark shone (shined?) through.

He still doesn't understand that what he did is wrong.

I so want to see him nailed by a senate hearing, or more accurately I want to see him outwit a senate hearing and make them cry momma.