TOS KFC commerical--how did we miss this?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Gepard, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Having searched the forum and come up blank, it looks like we somehow all missed that a year or so ago, KFC recreated the bridge and crew of the classic Enterprise for a TV spot. :eek:

I can't believe I never saw this on TV. And it's creepy how good some of the likenesses are to the original actors--can we replace Simon Pegg with whoever played this Scotty? :lol:

2. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was hilarous! Nice to see the old show still out there like this. "Hey, who took my fries?!"

3. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

That had to be shown only outside the US... I'd've seen or heard about it before now, otherwise. The Kirk and Scotty look-alikes were almost perfect and the Uhura and Chekov weren't bad, either.

Were those the TOS actors actual voices? They were all just too spot-on... even Uhura. I noted the complete absence of Spock, and it doesn't seem like the kind of thing Nimoy would agree to do.

4. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Nimoy was busy shooting VW commercials.
    I never even heard of this one. Usually I would have. Their likenesses are uncanny, but the acting is terrible.
    THIS is a parody... the same kind of parody J.J. Abrams said he wants to avoid. I'd rather see actors who can act more than look-a-likes who cannot. :vulcan:

5. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that was different.

6. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

That was the best thing I've seen in days! Thanks for the link Gep Malakai! :lol:

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

There's something in the comments which says that it is them doing the voices and that or another comment places it as being from around 1991, and shown in the U.S.

I sure don't remember seeing it, though, and I haven't found anything else to check it against.

8. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm stunned. How did I miss that? It must have been something that aired outside the U.S.

And the voices were either the genuine article or amazing impressions. I lean toward the former. The person in the comments must have been right (proper voices plus reasonable physical doubles can go a long way...)

10. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

I don't know if it's my pre-coffee mindset, but damn if that wasn't the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

11. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's 5:38 in the morning and I want greasy chicken.

Thanks for posting that, Gep Malakai. Great find.

12. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll check this again when I can put the sound up, but the lookalikes were pretty good.

Do any British BBSers remember the ads telling us about electricity privatisation in the 80s? I swear Shatner was in one, possibly Doohan as well. Were they?

13. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Fantastic ad! The likenesses were scary... :D
    Rght here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7PW8qGFFi4

14. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

It helps that all the cuts were very, very quick. Doesn't give you time to study them and find the flaws. :lol:

15. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you! Powergen, should have remembered that. I can remember Dad getting caught up in the fever and buying and selling shares at the time in the newly privatised companies.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm also noticing in the Info section on the YouTube page a mention of "mitchellwalker.com" and going there, I find what appears to be the same commercial under the heading "Films" -- wants a plug-in I don't have to play it, though.

http://mitchellwalker.com/

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wondered about the missing Nimoy too, but I just chaked it up to the fact that he's the guy who sued paramout over the use of his likeness back in the 70's. Maybe there's a clause which prevented them from using Spock.

19. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This has nothing to do with the upcoming movie, and is an innocent bit of fun.

Stop being so serious or I'll boycott the movie and all sequels, as well as any other film using even one of the actors.

That'll show you.

:lol:

20. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't go that far.

I mean, two arms, two legs and all, but beyond that sort of thing...