The Curator.... Who is he? (SPOILERS for "The Day of the Doctor")

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Nov 24, 2013.

1. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you'd have to be intentionally obtuse not to see the obvious: the Curator is the final Doctor. There's really no ambiguity. He gives Eleven(Twelve) hope that Trenzalore isn't as fixed a final resting place as it might appear.

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

There's no ambiguity about the fact that he's a future Doctor, but there's no way to know if he's supposed to be the final Doctor.

3. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

11 winks at him, it's pretty clear that he's the Doctor who has finally settled down and retired. I like the idea of him being the last Doctor.

He could also be Tom Baker who wandered onto the set and began speaking to Matt Smith who was on break.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Or a Zygon.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

He's a later Doctor, possibly the last, but I like the lack of certainty on the subject.

6. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I thought she was Susan. Put photos of them side by side, you'll see why.

As to Baker, a later (but not final) regeneration, going back to an old favourite face. And yes, they don't need to do any more than that, leave it there.

7. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, I DO think so too. Which would be great - it means that, if the Doctor ever finds Gallifrey again, he can find his own granddaughter again.

8. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Just finished watchin' it, and while I agree that it was both a wink to the fans (the line about revisitin' favorites) and a future regeneration of the Doctor.

I just hope its not the last regeneration, 'cause that would be kind of dull...

9. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Or – and this was my reading of it – it's Moffat laying the first hint at this:

Source.

Along with that whole bit about the Doctor 'going home' to Gallifrey, it seemed like the whole last ten minutes were all about seeding the future story arcs post-Smith.

10. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll go with him being the 4th Doctor aged up due to shorting out the time differential (see "Time Crash").

To me "And in years to come you might find yourself revisiting a few" comes off more as a reference to him crossing his own time stream, which he has a tendency to do, rather than him reusing old faces. The "but just the old favorites." crack was a rather cheeky fourth wall joke alluding to the fact only fan favorites Tom Baker (4th) and David Tennant (11th) reprised there roles for the special.

11. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In all curiosity, could the Curator eventually become the Watcher that the Fourth meets at the end of his life? The Moment would've been prepared, after all.

12. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Why did the installation on the wall of the gallery look like part of the interior wall of a TARDIS console room? Did the TARDIS also retire and become the National Gallery or did the Curator create the installation as a memento?

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

He was the Doctor from the far future, maybe millions of years in the future. He was there to say that there is still life beyond the final regeneration and that there will come a day when the Doctor knows peace and fulfillment. He was there to tell himself, and us, that everything will be okay.

14. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

You're saying that my predictions of a ganger previous Doctor, of a face revisiting Doctor and of the episode being lovely all came true? Holy shit, how did I know that when I didn't even see the series (we don't have TV in the 19th century)? Anyone seen my fob watch?

15. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

After watching the scene several times, I fully believe it's a future incarnation who took the face of a past one. The Doctor finds Gallifrey (probably at the end of the next season) and eventually returns the painting to Earth, though we may well not see that.

Personally I'm thrilled Gallifrey is back from the abyss, well at least partially. Opens up a bunch more story possibilities.

I'd imagine even RTD eventually planned for Gallifrey to be restored.

16. BlastHardcheese

BlastHardcheese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I imagined he was in some way the spirit of the Doctor. Like the White Guardian -a guardian of time perhaps? And he can take the form of any of his old familiar faces.

17. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Who is the Curator?
    Who knows?

[​IMG]

(Doctor) Who Knows

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  18. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm half-hoping that Gallifrey is hiding in plain sight in the painting with the 27th keeping tabs on it until the 12th finds it. Way too obvious and ridiculous not to be true. :lol:

19. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Or he could just be a human Curator that we'll never see again.:vulcan:

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I sincerely doubt it. RTD hated the Time Lords and that's why he made them extinct. Including Gallifrey in The End of Time started as a suggestion from Julie Gardner which RTD was originally viciously against but eventually relented when he began trying to determine just that the Master's goal should be this time around and restoring Gallifrey popped into his head.

Even then, it took more arm-twisting to get the Time Lords into the story.