(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I would be encouraged by the number of players in the team last night who weren't from the usual Top 4. About bloody time.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah but we've been here before. If Capello drops Lampard, Terry etc when fit I'll think things have changed, but at the moment the only reason the team wasn't full of top 4 players was because they weren't fit/available!

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I don't think Lamps will get back into the starting 11 but for the moment he should be in the 23 man squads. Terry/Rio/Jagks/Cahill/Dawson are our main 5 for now until Phil Jones gets drafted in so its going to be a tight race come EURO 2012. Personally I don't think Rio will make it due to age/Injuries.

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Sepp Blatter has a new stupid fucking idea...

I have no problem with Golden Goal being back, infact I still like my idea of the 1st period being Silver and the 2nd being Golden because you must make Extra time different from the standard 90...

However scrapping Extra time from all World Cup matches would be just insane, theres a certain high pressure to Extra time that makes for good viewing/tension so just restore Golden Goal rather then remove ET. Why the fuck they took Golden or Silver goal out in the first place was daft though am sure it had something to do with TV networks wanting more air time for more £££ $$$ :rolleyes:. Loads of sport have some sort of OT/ET system so we should keep ours.

I have no problem with this in the FA cup early round replays for example or for 2 leg affairs in CL cause you play so much football (180 mins) in those cases that ET does seem out of place especially where the stupid fucking AWAY GOAL give in europe basically gives one team 30 min more than the other to get one based on he luck of who plays at home 2nd :rolleyes: sort that out first Blatter and co.

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Just ignore it. Blatter spouts out these stupidities on a regular basis to distract from the rampant corruption of the FIFA. As usual nothing will come of this.

6. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, he'll waltz straight back in and Gerrard will be shifted out to the left and everyone will be left scratching their heads wondering why Gerrard isn't playing well.

Y'know, like what's been happening for the past 3 years.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Milner, Defoe, Rodwell and Walcott are unabled to be called up for the next squad plus the U21 have there crucial playoffs so Pearce will not want to lose any of his players like Wilshire and probably will want to recall Richards and Gibbs so his next squad will be interesting.

8. HappyDayRiot

Well, I don't know where half our first team was yesterday so it was a very welcome win over Hull and a surprisingly comfortable one. Hull play very much like a team with no confidence judging by their performance yesterday - I expect their cataclysmically bad away form really must be praying on their minds after so long. They stay down fighting relegation with Pompey, Boro and Swansea (and Forest at this rate - did I hear it's the worst start to a season since the 80s!?).

Tuesday will be interesting - Cardiff travel to Leicester. Bottom vs joint top.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Another game, another 1-1 draw though to be fair we tried everything bar shooting the Millwall Goalkeeper in the 2nd half so he would let us score ;)

10. HappyDayRiot

Just saw the highlights myself- you could have had a sackful!

I'm not looking forward to playing Millwall - they're our next visitors. Family-friendly kick-off at 12pm gosh I wonder why...

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Story of our life...

Chances :rolleyes:

12. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Another disappointing defeat yesterday to Swindon. But tonight we've appointed our new manager, Nigel Adkins. Not the most high-profile but he did well with Scunthorpe so hopefully Saints can still at least make play-offs this season.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well another home loss, and by all accounts Sheff Utd could (and possibly should) have had a hatful! Still at least we should get another striker in on loan today apparently...rumour has it its Craig Beattie from Swansea who I expect HappyDayRiot will only have good things to say about :)

14. HappyDayRiot

Craig Beattie's at Swansea? First I've heard of it, and already he's going out on loan? He's a bit of a non-entity wherever he goes. I can't imagine he'll rile the CCS faithful too much!

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think they signed him last season!

Oh how the mighty have fallen...we'll be re-signing Steve Howard at this rate

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Actually scrap that now they're saying it's Shefki Kuqi, who I always remember being a good player...if a bit old (but the team could use some experience). I think I prefer him to Beattie!

17. HappyDayRiot

You got Kuqi huh? Barn doors of Derbyshire breath a sigh of relief, because he'll never hit any of them ;) Better than Craig Beattie though. Not the worst loanee.

Anyone want to hazard a guess at how long Strachan has left at McBoro?

18. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope we can beat Tottenham tonight. It would be a very good start to the CL group. I think this will either end in a convincing victory, or a convincing defeat.

I'm nervous! :crazy:

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Tottenham are a very dangerous team at home and even Inter will struggle there but away from home there average at times. Spurs may get a draw and probably need to if come the end they are to pip you to 2nd however...

I think 3-1 to Bremen

20. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, that's weird.

Inter Milan, Werder Bremen, Tottenham and Twente, all equal at 1 point and 2 goals each after the first games. :lol: