Getting it in the house

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RoJoHen, Sep 2, 2013.

1. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

The entire OP is a bit iffy if you ask me...

I bought a new dryer today and struggled to get it in the house. We had to take it out of the box in order to get it in the front door. My house is 100+ years old, so things like doorways and stairs are a little more narrow than you might find in a more modern house.

Now
    that it's in the house, I have no way to get it into the basement where it belongs. The stairs are too narrow, and they turn 90s degrees halfway down. I have no idea how I'm going to do this.

The only thing that confuses me about this is that there's already a washer and dryer down there, not to mention a furnace that was only installed a few years ago! How did they get
    [it] there? The house wasn't built around them!

This house is tricky. We had to dismantle the other stairway just to get our beds upstairs when we first moved in.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I volunteered for them now and again when I was younger, and those Habitat homes were pretty bare bones. I don't doubt the need for one at all, but let's face it.. excavating a basement then building on top of it is a large expense.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

All of the Habitat homes around here have basements. And the ones I built in New Orleans were on stilts! I just thought it was odd that Oklahoma, of all places, wouldn't put basements in their homes.

4. mari

mari Captain Captain

Try excavating a basement out from under an existing house. By hand. The house still tilts a bit.

On the other hand, we did build an outside entrance while we were at it, so at least we can get new appliances in without too much trouble. :p

5. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kinda OT but similar problem:

Where I used to work, there was repeated discussion over a number of years about my department being moved to another city. Serious enough that preliminary ideas and problems were being scouted, like electrical needs, temperature controls, size/weight of equipment. We were in the basement of a size able building, but next to the service tunnels. Of course, my labs were farthest from the tunnels, and had the biggest problem. Literally biggest.

We had a 25,000 pound single piece of honed granite that would have to be moved. My supervisor didn't realize this and asked if I knew how it had come in. The engineer who had retired years ago had told me: it was the first item in the department put into place, and then the walls between the tunnel and that room were built. It would have to be the last item removed, after the walls were taken down, being careful for high-pressure air lines hiding in the walls--that rock and its support system were actually designed to float on air!

The department remains in place.

Sometimes moving something is just too much trouble.

6. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I feel the pain.. back in my 20s where helping friends move (and moving yourself) was happening at least twice a year lugging around heavy appliances like stoves, washers and such was the worst part (apart from overpacked book boxes.. paper can be so heavy!).

I had to do this twice for friends who lived in old houses, usually at a higher floor without an elevator of course.

Now that we are all in our thirties we just say fuck it and pay a moving company or the store to have it delivered and installed. :lol:

7. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

+1.Heh heh.:cool:

8. jazzstick

jazzstick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I remember a similier situation with a huge Kenmore frig, I was 10 and my family and I where moving into a smaller house. I was the biggest out of 5 (but not the youngest) so I had to help him lift this huge thing onto the pattio fromt he moving truck and I just couldn't do it and I slipped leaving all the weight on my dad! When he finally wrestled the thing down he punched me so hard that I skidded across the lawn. This is know to this day in my family as "The Refrigerator Punch"!

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think you know what he means. You're in the basement, you look up, and you see no finished ceiling (suspended ceiling, drywall, whatever) but you see the floor of the first level including the joists.

As for the OP problem. Feh. Just move the laundry room upstairs. ;)

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn it... I was going to say that

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Getting "it" outside the house would be way more interesting. ;)

12. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

The last 3 houses I've lived in (Ft. Gordon, GA; Leesville, LA; and now Ft. Bragg, NC) none of the houses have or had basements. Ft. Bragg, NC is probably the worst of the three because since I've been stationed there there have been two tornados and one hurriance (Sandy I think?) but only the edge of the hurricane hit where we were.

The last tornado was a couple weeks ago, right after I left to come back here to Afghanistan. The wife said it came out of nowhere all of a sudden and ended up literally knocking down one of the three large pecan trees in the backyard.

She had herself, the baby, the important documents, and the animals (as best she could with them) in the inner bathroom, the only room with no windows!

I can't wait to PCS next summer!