Buying the new uniforms...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Koinek, May 9, 2009.

1. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

OMG THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!

2. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Go for it :)

I'll be making more uniforms soon, Trek and other SF, and would be happy to share results or help others in how I id it all etc.

3. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

It looks like the regular has a screen printed emblem, the deluxe has an embroidered emblem and the grand heritage has an embroidered emblem and separate undershirt (instead of a dickie like the rest)

4. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

The boots they used in the movie were obviously custom done for the production. They look to be made out of suede and have climbing shoe soles on them. However, you can't tell that from watching the movie. I was able to discern the materials, design, etc from some production promotional stills I found.

And since I wasn't going to have custom boots made to match I found these instead.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0020GYTWC/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

I removed the ankle buckle/straps and they look to be a dead ringer for what we saw in the movie... at a distance. (And if you do buy these you need to be very careful removing the ankle straps. The leather damages easily.)

I also found some pictures of the pants they wore and they are a lot more complicated than you might think. They have this tight pleating just above the knee and some seaming just below it. I bought a pair of off the rack flat front black casual pants and modified them. I have to correct a missing seam that I missed in my first pass and I will post a picture.

I also bought a shirt from Rubies. I only did that because I wanted the fabric. I have chosen to take it apart, remove the dickie, line it, correct the seaming on the shoulders and neck, and then tailor it to me. And I have a plan to remove the damn screen-printed emblem too. The undershirt is probably a long sleeved black spandex/cotton athletic compression t-shirt. I still need to find one.

As for the chest emblem, I am in the process of replicating the one that was in the movie. I bought sheet styrene and I am going to build myself one and finish it to look like brushed aluminum/platinum, just like in the film.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  5. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I still find spending like $30 bucks for a shirt that you have to do work on a lot of money LOL. But I've considered doing the same thing, if I can find the shirt on sale or something before one of the popup stores close before Halloween or even after, not like I'm planning on going to Halloween parties this year anyway... but I do want a nuTrek uniform. The pants are going to be tricky to get authentic with that goofy ribbing. Those old TOS uniforms were MUCH easier to get made. But I do like they way they look.

And for the ladies to keep their modesty with the reeeeally short skirts, could sew in a "crotch" make them almost like coolats (however you spell that word) so they still look like a skirt, but don't ride up and show us what colors panties ya wear! Not that I'd complain!

6. Johnnymuffintop

Johnnymuffintop Commander Red Shirt

Anyone seen the uniforms at their local costume shops yet, since October is just around the corner.

7. AstroSmurf

^ I have been seeing them everywhere lately.

Well Halloween has always been a BIG deal at my house. Every year I drag out the sewing machine and just go to town making something crazy elaborate. On average I will spend about $130 getting all the supplies and everything together. I budget for it. But this year I am cheating with all the off the rack stuff. The only real sewing I will be doing is altering the shirt and modifying the pants. The rest is already done. I am also getting off cheaper this year too... even including the boots. (And I have already worn the boots twice. The look great with jeans.)

And I love the ribbing on the pants. I think it takes a boring item and ramps up the detail. The extra seaming I am not so sure about.

8. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

I'm really sorry, but those boots don't even come close, even if you see them from miles away. These look like rainboots with a belt.

I think you'll have more success looking at (strangely as it sounds) those sneaker boots some young girls wear when their feet are too small to walk on actual high heels; they're often high, made of suede with a puma-like running sole.

9. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

10. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

You can also see some of the detail of the boot in this (very large) photo:

http://zach-quinto.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=7402&fullsize=1

(You may need to copy/paste the URL into your browser's address bar.)

11. AstroSmurf

^ Thanks! That was very useful... and also allowed me to stumble onto this. :bolian:

http://starfleet1701st.yuku.com/topic/1193/t/ST-Movie-Uniform-Details.html

This site also gave me a clue as to what to do for the utility belt. I found everything but the phaser holster on Amazon.

And since you can't get the DKNY boots anymore, I am still happy with my purchase (even if I am not happy with the sole thickness). They wear well, the leather is soft and flexible and they are as close as I could find. (If someone finds something else that's closer, please post!) I even wore them out today under my jeans to break them in.

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

^ What are you planning on doing for the phaser holster? I have a "utility" belt that I got for 4 bucks at Rural King, but I am not sure what exactly to do for holsters for the phaser and communicator (it should be noted that I am playing fast and loose with the rules as I am planning on getting a movie-style uniform, but am using the TOS-style phaser/communicator).

13. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

14. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Normal", as in child sized adults? :confused:

Maybe next time they could get a British model to show their crooked yellow smile?