Unreality celebrates tie-ins

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Stevil2001, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thought this might be of interest to folks here: Unreality SF, the website where I review Doctor Who audio dramas and Jens Deffner reviews Star Trek novels, is celebrating its fifth anniversary by celebrating the awesomeness of tie-in fiction.

The first post was by me, naming fifteen great tie-ins you probably forgot about, which includes four Star Trek titles: http://unreality-sf.net/2013/04/02/lasting-impressions/

The second is by 8 of 5, celebrating the tNG relaunch: http://unreality-sf.net/2013/04/03/how-the-novels-taught-me-to-love-tng-again/

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Nice article. Thanks for the alert.

I admit, though, that this article made me feel very old. You were too young to read Imzadi when it first came out? Ye gods . . . .

Not sure what the first tie-in novel I read was, but I suspect it was a Dark Shadows or Get Smart book back in the sixties. I also remember my father being somewhat concerned by the language and sexual content in a Dr. Phibes novelization I picked up as a kid . . . .

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  3. Stevil2001

Not even when it first came out-- a couple years later at a guess.

I'm dreading the day someone pops up on this forum to say that they read Destiny at a inappropriately young age. :borg:

4. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Good shoutout for, Intellivore it was an amazing book. Loved the creeping horror & tension ramp ups. Data taking it on mindwise was brilliant too.

Dunno if I've even read that New Jedi Order book, they were so amazingly dire compared to the Zahn/Stackpole books I stopped reading them.

5. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As Steve said we plan to celebrate tie-ins by posting articles by site contributors past and present and guest writers (like 8of5) talking about tie-ins.

In this thread we will limit ourselves to link to those articles related to Trek to not veer to far off-topic for this forum, but there will also be others, for example today two pieces went live focusing more on Doctor Who.

If you want to keep-up to date with all the posts without having to check the site all the time you can follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook or subscribe to out general RSS Feed (there is also one only for the "Celebrating tie-ins" articles).

6. Stevil2001

Intellivore doesn't get enough love compared to Dark Mirror and Duane's TOS efforts. It's always been one of my favorite! Just bursting with ideas. Back when some people tried to start a Star Trek Novel Encyclopedia (in the pre-wiki days), Intellivore was the first one I wroteu p.

I really like The New Jedi Order, actually. Some are good, some are great, some are not good at all. Enemy Lines I: Rebirth, Star by Star, and Traitor are the peak of the line for me. But I can see why people wouldn't like it-- it goes pretty far out there. I hated the first follow-up (Legacy of the Force) and refused to read the second (Fate of the Jedi).

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for posting those articles.

8. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're welcome.

Two new Star Trek related articles have been posted today:

As a relative tie-in newbie Mike Medeiros (a.k.a. Soriediem), co-host , webmaster and techguy for the G&T show, tells us about his journey into the world of Star Trek novels in his piece "Discovery of Star Trek novels - A personal journey through the pages of Star Trek fiction"

In my own article "The best types of tie-in" I talk a bit about what being a favourite tie-in book for me entails, and give some examples from the world of tie-in fiction.